• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Railway Journeys in the UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwk500

Veteran Member
This is probably seasonal, but I travelled from Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe recently on a TFW service, all windows open, and it reeked of manure for half the journey. The scenery is rather pleasant though. Are their any other particularly smelly routes (ignoring train type).
Any journey past farmland has a reasonable chance of that smell when it's fertilising chance of year if the windows are open.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RailWonderer

Established Member
This is probably seasonal, but I travelled from Manchester Piccadilly to Crewe recently on a TFW service, all windows open, and it reeked of manure for half the journey. The scenery is rather pleasant though. Are their any other particularly smelly routes (ignoring train type).
No, only at this time of year because the farmers are muck spreading in autumn and spring to improve the soil. I did that same journey from Crewe - Church Stretton a couple of weeks ago and on a 150 with all windows open it was similarly pungent. Luckily I had a 175 on both return trips.

Underrated scenic routes I think are Leeds to Ilkley and in the south, Westbury to Bath as well as the Shrewsbury to Abergavenny section.

Amos

Even worse was Liverpool to Southport
I also really dislike this route,especially if you start at Hunts Cross.Seems to take forever on a not especially comfortable train,and the scenery isn’t much either.It’s one saving grace was that there was a nice beach at the end,but even that was a fair walk from the station.

Skipness

Middlesbrough to Redcar Central passing all the old industry… very very dismal
I would second this choice, especially as I can still remember it in its prime with flourishing industry and with a variety of ex LNER steam engines at every turn.

JD2168

Cleethorpes to Sheffield on a bank holiday Monday with kids running down the carriages for most of the journey.

Sheffield to Rotherham Central on any journey is not great with a lot of industrial decline.

AndrewE

Established Member
I also really dislike this route,especially if you start at Hunts Cross.Seems to take forever on a not especially comfortable train,and the scenery isn’t much either.It’s one saving grace was that there was a nice beach at the end,but even that was a fair walk from the station.
It is tedious, but not that bad. The trains have always been quite reliable for us and they are electric (and in Liverpool, which adds to the pleasure...)
I might propose as a real worst bit (not overall journey) Standedge Tunnel. No view - and diesel worked, so the fumes always affect my chest before we get through...

Llandudno

Established Member
It’s an even longer walk at Southport if you fancy going for a paddle!

d9009alycidon

One line that I found surprisingly boring was Inverness to Wick and Thurso, long stretches of featureless landscape aka the Flow Country in a 158 isn't inspiring

Requeststop

I have never taken to the Par-Newquay branch. To me it's just a poor means of getting to Newquay other than by bus. It has none of the scenery that the other Cornish branch lines have in abundance.

QSK19

Birmingham Airport to Birmingham New Street stopping service. It felt unsafe on there at night on more than one occasion - for example, a group of 6 loud, intimidating youths swigging from cans of cider getting on at Stechford didn’t make for a comfortable journey!

basfordlad

Birmingham Airport to Birmingham New Street stopping service. It felt unsafe on there at night on more than one occasion - for example, a group of 6 loud, intimidating youths swigging from cans of cider getting on at Stechford didn’t make for a comfortable journey!
I used to work at stechford station years ago! Rough place

Class15

On Moderation
North London and West London Lines
There are a few good bits

The section between Hackney Wick and Homerton is nice enough, especially with the disused station and junction.

The section just west of Camden Road is nice including the market

Between Gospel Oak and Hampstead Heath there are some brilliant views of the heath

Snex

Hartlepool to Middlesbrough.

Horribly slow and boring scenery to boot, with the added bonus of the smell of a landfill just South of Hartlepool, if the train has aircon.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The Sheerness branch isn't very exciting

You do get to go over the rail/road bridge at Kingsferry and get a decent view of the sea, so not as bad as some of the others.

It does have some vibe of the "deprived British seaside town" though.

Otherwise I'd have to add anther +1 for Reading - Waterloo which feels really slow. The Sutton loop also feels painfully tedious.

xotGD

Established Member
I might propose as a real worst bit (not overall journey) Standedge Tunnel.
The thrash from the 68 reverberating from the tunnel. Highlight of the trip!

Rather splendid behind a 50 last week too!

Penmorfa

Aberdeen to Inverness? Two hours to cover 108 miles. I don't recall any interesting scenery and I'm pretty sure there were sections of jointed single-track line. Makes the electrified central belt feel like a different country.
So 54 mph, quite respectable for a stopping serrvice. If you don't like jointed track then never go north of Inverness ;)

Alanko

Somewhere between Waverley and Queen Street.
I'd second that, although it is a bit better now that a) Derby sewage isn't spread out to dry in the fields just W of the city, and b) the turkey abattoir doesn't have a liquidised "waste" lagoon next to the track at Tutbury and Hatton any more (I imagine.) The smell from the Nescafe factory there wasn't anything to tempt you to buy the product either...
Parts of that journey used to be absolutely nauseating in the summer!

Maybe a theme for another thread: lines with distinctive, unusual or unpleasant smells!

I was driving between Brechin and Montrose last year and passed a pork processing facility that was absolutely ripe. I'm too young to have smelled the famous Kirkcaldy linoleum smell, but luckily there is still the yeasty smell at Haymarket to tantalise the nostrils.

I imagine a combination of stiffer environmental regulations and downscaling of manufacturing and industry has rendered many iconic or noteworthy smells extinct.

Penmorfa

The attitude towards trees in this country gets my back up. We have some in my road which are an absolute menace, especially as the council has failed to maintain them such that they have now grown much larger than anyone envisaged to the point where they overhang houses. Yet suggest removing them seems to put you in the same box as Jimmy Saville. It’s not like we’re short of trees in this country, but they need to be in the right places.
We have lower tree cover than any country in Northern Europe. We need many, many more. It's not the tres fault it's not maintained or has been planted thoughtlessly

Any line with longitudinal seating is to be avoided

Kingston Dan

Controversially, most of the journey from Dalmeny to North Queensferry is rather disappointing as the view is somewhat restricted.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
The Watford DC line is just relentless grimness, but it feels churlish to mention it here given how much better it is than the Silverlink days. Longitudinal seating doesn’t help, nor does Harlesden.

Status
Not open for further replies.