• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Worst Tube Line?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metro95

What do you think is the worst Tube Line?
For me, it's the Bakerloo Line for the following reasons:
  • The Bakerloo Line has the oldest rolling stock in regular passenger service in the UK.
  • Most of the where the Bakerloo Line goes is served by other lines or the Overground.
  • The Bakerloo Line has a Zone 1 terminus (unlike most other tube lines) at Elephant and Castle.
  • The northern section of the line is duplicated by the Overground Watford Junction to Euston route.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Vespa

Established Member
  • The Bakerloo Line has the oldest rolling stock in regular passenger service in the UK.
  • Most of the where the Bakerloo Line goes is served by other lines or the Overground.
  • The Bakerloo Line has a Zone 1 terminus (unlike most other tube lines) at Elephant and Castle.
  • The northern section of the line is duplicated by the Overground Watford Junction to Euston route.

I actually like the Bakerloo line as it's virtually a museum line and the seat layout means I can sit facing forward and the unique "ghost train experience" when it goes over section gaps most noticable when leaving Lambeth North station the interior lights can flicker, partially go out or completely out for a few seconds.

I like the Bakerloo, for some of Metro 's drawbacks. Especially in the Baker Street area, it still retains reminders of John Betjeman's 'Early Electric'.

Purple Train

Established Member
Any line when there are crowded underground stations with relatively thin platforms. If it isn't crowded, I don't think I could pick a least favourite! That being said, I really don't like the amount of noise on the Victoria and Jubilee lines.

PGAT

Established Member
Other than the Bakerloo line my nomination would be the Central Line

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The Bakerloo line, it's an embarrassment.

I like the B'loo for its historic charm. And for the look of surprise on tourists' faces if they're at the north end of a N/B at Picc Circus and suddenly see/hear a S/B rattling past a few inches away. And it's rarely as packed as some lines. And the "minutes until the next train" on the B'loo are - I'd swear - shorter than real minutes.

I probably like the Central least - always feels dark and oppressive inside.

PGAT

Established Member
Central line is stuffy, overcrowded and a massive pain in the backside walking down to the very deep-level platforms

bramling

Veteran Member

Notwithstanding the use of the word Tube, personally I’d go for the Hammersmith & City.

It’s always been infrequent, and as well as infrequent it’s also erratic. It doesn’t really serve anywhere nice, and indeed serves some utter dumps like Whitechapel, Barking, and indeed most of Paddington to Hammersmith. It always seems to be overcrowded, and as a means of getting from Paddington to King’s Cross it was always a pain to use.

stuu

Established Member
Notwithstanding the use of the word Tube, personally I’d go for the Hammersmith & City.

It’s always been infrequent, and as well as infrequent it’s also erratic. It doesn’t really serve anywhere nice, and indeed serves some utter dumps like Whitechapel, Barking, and indeed most of Paddington to Hammersmith. It always seems to be overcrowded, and as a means of getting from Paddington to King’s Cross it was always a pain to use.
It is dramatically better than it was a decade ago, when it was heading towards unusable. I used to do Moorgate to Paddington daily, I gave up completely on that route and always went on the Central line to Lancaster Gate. These days the frequency is more reliable and there is at least live information, as well as far less random interminable stops.

I would have to go with the Bakerloo Line too, it just feels so much more of a throwback than any other line

Ladder23

Established Member
I actually like the Bakerloo line as it's virtually a museum line and the seat layout means I can sit facing forward and the unique "ghost train experience" when it goes over section gaps most noticable when leaving Lambeth North station the interior lights can flicker, partially go out or completely out for a few seconds.
Love this myself, by far my favourite line

class68fan

On Moderation
bakerloo normal is reliable Queen Park to Elephant.

piccalilli line is old stock and unreliable to rayner lane and oxbridge

Sir Train

I would go for the Jubilee. Whenever I used it, it was overcrowded and/or was delayed by either signal failures or another reason.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Why is a Zone 1 terminus a bad thing?

Anyway Bakerloo is my favourite. My least favourite is the Central. Not that i find it bad, i just like the other tube lines* more!

* Not counting the sub-surface lines.

bramling

Veteran Member
It is dramatically better than it was a decade ago, when it was heading towards unusable. I used to do Moorgate to Paddington daily, I gave up completely on that route and always went on the Central line to Lancaster Gate. These days the frequency is more reliable and there is at least live information, as well as far less random interminable stops.

I would have to go with the Bakerloo Line too, it just feels so much more of a throwback than any other line

Have to say I don’t get the hate for the Bakerloo. It normally runs fairly smoothly, by network standards tends to be comparatively non crowded through the centre of town, and there’s the ability to sit facing forwards which I like. The only negative is the infamous “personal security issues” north of Queen’s Park, but that’s not as bad nowadays as a couple of decades ago.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I would go for the Jubilee. Whenever I used it, it was overcrowded and/or was delayed by either signal failures or another reason.
How often do you use it? Most of the time I have, it seems to run well. Signal failures and overcrowding are inevitable, regardless of line.

I like the Circle Line personally, as it connects most London Termini and the stock is clean and can handle passengers rather well.

Metro95

Why is a Zone 1 terminus a bad thing?

Anyway Bakerloo is my favourite. My least favourite is the Central. Not that i find it bad, i just like the other tube lines* more!

* Not counting the sub-surface lines.
Because a Zone 1 terminus obviously means that the line's southern connectivity is limited.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Any line when there are crowded underground stations with relatively thin platforms. If it isn't crowded, I don't think I could pick a least favourite! That being said, I really don't like the amount of noise on the Victoria and Jubilee lines.
What do you mean by 'noise'? Do you mean noise from announcements or when the train is moving, the noise from reverberation of track? You should try the Battersea Extension, that one is really loud!

Route115?

The Central Line has far too many cancellations and uneven intervals.

Same is true of the H&C / Circle. A cancellation can mean a twenty minute gap between trains.

Both particularly bad at the weekend.

However, as mentioned the sub-surface lines have AirCon which is a big plus in the summer.

william.martin

On Moderation
Its got to be the jubilee line because of that deafening screeching noise when south of the Thames, I could hear it ringing in my ear an entire month after the journey.

What do you mean by 'noise'? Do you mean noise from announcements or when the train is moving, the noise from reverberation of track? You should try the Battersea Extension, that one is really loud!
Not as loud as the southern jubilee line.

william.martin

On Moderation
What is the ‘southern Jubilee line’?

I’m not disputing the Jubilee line isn’t loud, it is, but out of curiosity, have you been on the Battersea Extension?
Yes I have been on it and yes it certainly is bad however in my opinion the jubilee line is worse, by "southern jubilee line" I mean anywhere south of the Thames.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Its got to be the jubilee line because of that deafening screeching noise when south of the Thames, I could hear it ringing in my ear an entire month after the journey.

Not as loud as the southern jubilee line.
Oh yes. I have to remember not to use the Jubilee Line between London Bridge and Stratford. The noise is horrendous, it is really really deafening even for me but even worse for my Granddaughter. It is really something TfL need to do something about.

Status
Not open for further replies.