• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would a Greater Manchester franchise be a good idea?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chester1

Established Member
I know its not likely to happen for political reasons but would a London Overground style franchise controlled by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority / TfGM be a good idea?

Something like these services:

Wigan via Bolton/Stalybridge/Rochdale to Victoria
Hazel Grove/New Mills Central/Rose Hill/Glossop to Piccadilly

Not all would be practical as separate routes because the Northern franchise would need to run extend some of those services to further destinations but you get the idea. I know New Mills and Glossop are not in Greater Manchester but Chester and Ellesmere Port have never been part of Merseyside either. With tram trains becoming increasingly unlikely and Greater Manchester CA gaining control of buses it would be an obvious next step to forming an integrated Greater Manchester public transport network.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Eccles1983

On Moderation
Good for who?

I cannot see a reason for this? What if any benefits would come from it?

Chester1

Established Member
Good for who?

I cannot see a reason for this? What if any benefits would come from it?

Good for passengers. Allowing services to be locally controlled and intergated with other public transport. There is room for improvement within the exisiting system but a Merseyrail style concession would allow more local control over ticket prices. Also, if London controls local NR services through London Overground then why can't Manchester?

BML247

Duplicate account: Clip
Good for passengers. Allowing services to be locally controlled and intergated with other public transport.

If they already control the buses as you made out in your firat post then they already have the power to integrate with the trains- retime the buses to meet them.

Chester1

Established Member
If they already control the buses as you made out in your firat post then they already have the power to integrate with the trains- retime the buses to meet them.

The Bus devolution legislation became law before the general election but there is a long consultation ahead before action will be taken. I agree there is scope for improvements with the current rail arrangement but a Merseyrail / London Overground style system with all ticket revanue going to the local transport authority would allow further intergration of services and tickets. Potentially ticketing could be completely merged between Metrolink and GM rail franchise. There are combined tickets now but they are much more expensive than Metrolink only.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One of the biggest missing items in the GM ticketing range is a combined Rail and Metrolink season ticket, in my opinion.

driver_m

Established Member
No itd be terrible for the areas that border non-GM authorities. Look how poor Wigan-Warrington links are for instance. TfN is what we need. Something that benefits the region as a whole and not just Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
No itd be terrible for the areas that border non-GM authorities. Look how poor Wigan-Warrington links are for instance. TfN is what we need. Something that benefits the region as a whole and not just Liverpool, Manchester and Leeds.

You mean like maybe giving back bus services to the municipalities that used to run them for the benefit of the towns they served ?

driver_m

Established Member
You mean like maybe giving back bus services to the municipalities that used to run them for the benefit of the towns they served ?

Definitely if you’re talking about the buses. No coincidence that they work well in London, but not really anywhere else.

I’d just like to see a transport system like London’s up here The oyster is a brilliant idea as was the old travelcards before Boris ruined them.. Bolton has no public transport links at all to Merseyside, yet it’s only 20 odd miles to Liverpool, and St Helens has a direct road to Bolton. TfGM has no interest in promoting this, but a fully Northern authority would.

Mathew S

Established Member
One of the biggest missing items in the GM ticketing range is a combined Rail and Metrolink season ticket, in my opinion.

Staffed stations can issue these, I had one back in 2015 (bought from Piccadilly) when in another job. They are, though, hideously expensive.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Definitely if you’re talking about the buses. No coincidence that they work well in London, but not really anywhere else.

I’d just like to see a transport system like London’s up here The oyster is a brilliant idea as was the old travelcards before Boris ruined them.. Bolton has no public transport links at all to Merseyside, yet it’s only 20 odd miles to Liverpool, and St Helens has a direct road to Bolton. TfGM has no interest in promoting this, but a fully Northern authority would.

They work well in London because they are effectively subsided, plus the volume of passengers is exceptional. Will the tax payers around Manchester all be happy to have to pay increased local taxes ?.
Oyster is only a copy of what had been working in Hong Kong for some years. Remind me - what did Boris do to travelcards ?

daodao

Established Member
I know its not likely to happen for political reasons but would a London Overground style franchise controlled by the Greater Manchester Combined Authority / TfGM be a good idea?

Not all would be practical as separate routes because the Northern franchise would need to run extend some of those services to further destinations but you get the idea. I know New Mills and Glossop are not in Greater Manchester but Chester and Ellesmere Port have never been part of Merseyside either. With tram trains becoming increasingly unlikely and Greater Manchester CA gaining control of buses it would be an obvious next step to forming an integrated Greater Manchester public transport network.

There is a Greater M/c rail network - it's called Metrolink. Most remaining rail services cross boundaries into other areas and/or on lines also used for freight so can't easily be separated from the national rail network. However, an extension of Metrolink from Piccadilly via Reddish North to Rose Hill (with segregated/street-running from Piccadilly to just beyond Ashburys) would be a good idea, with remaining rail services from M/c to New Mills and beyond running via Hyde only.

driver_m

Established Member
They work well in London because they are effectively subsided, plus the volume of passengers is exceptional. Will the tax payers around Manchester all be happy to have to pay increased local taxes ?.
Oyster is only a copy of what had been working in Hong Kong for some years. Remind me - what did Boris do to travelcards ?

Stopped the 1-4 zone cards and put the price up massively of the ones left.
The London buses work because they don't get chopped and changed every 5 minutes like elsewhere. As for your tax comment, does anyone like paying taxes?? No! Can't speak for GM but I'd imagine they already get a substantial amount through council tax billing like I pay in Merseyside.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
They work well in London because they are effectively subsided, plus the volume of passengers is exceptional. Will the tax payers around Manchester all be happy to have to pay increased local taxes ?. ?

There are many many buses in London conveying nothing but (not quite) fresh air and some of TfL's subsidies come from central government along with £2.6 billion for Crossrail meaning taxpayers elsewhere are paying for London's transport

jonesy3001

Established Member
dont they still have the wayfarer ticket that you can use on buses trains and trams(central zone) that you can use in the greater manchester boundary?

gnolife

Established Member
dont they still have the wayfarer ticket that you can use on buses trains and trams(central zone) that you can use in the greater manchester boundary?
That's the any bus and train daysaver (there's also Bus, train and any tram that's more expensive). The wayfarer is valid as far out as Congleton, Matlock Bath, Grindleford, Burnley, Accrington, Warrington and Northwich

pemma

Veteran Member

No. It would require a mix of different train types to run which would reduce the available diagramming options. It could also mean the 'GM franchise' has a temporary stock shortage while Northern has spare units sat in sidings or vice versa. Merseyrail is very different because the franchise contains all the third rail electric services in the area meaning the 507/508s would be useless for Northern even if they are short of stock.

pemma

Veteran Member
That's the any bus and train daysaver (there's also Bus, train and any tram that's more expensive). The wayfarer is valid as far out as Congleton, Matlock Bath, Grindleford, Burnley, Accrington, Warrington and Northwich

It has a different validity area for rail and bus plus not all bus operators participate in the scheme. For instance the Wayfarer is fine to use on the 289 bus from High Legh to Knutsford and then the train to Northwich but it is not fine to use on the 289 bus from High Legh all the way to Northwich, it's also not interchangeable between bus and train services between Congleton and Macclesfield.

pemma

Veteran Member
Most remaining rail services cross boundaries into other areas and/or on lines also used for freight so can't easily be separated from the national rail network.

Indeed. Those who recall the GMPTE and Merseytravel branded 142s, 150s and 323s will recall GMPTE branded trains got out as far as Blackpool and Stoke even if they stayed on their usual routes, while Merseytravel branded ones got as far as Stockport - ironically much closer to the River Mersey than Southport!

aelius

They'll probably convert all more lines in GM to trams and you'll have to change near the boundary like on Merseyrail at Ormskirk and Kirby.

mister-sparky

I’d hardly call 2 trains per hour on a Pendolino and an 11 minute journey time as poor links...

Mathew S

Established Member
I’d hardly call 2 trains per hour on a Pendolino and an 11 minute journey time as poor links...

It is pretty dire in terms of cost and range of tickets. There are a lot (and I mean a lot) of people who commute Wigan to Warrington or vice versa, so the peak service frequency really isn't good enough either.

pemma

Veteran Member
Warrington to Crewe is worse. Fewer services and if you want to get to Warrington from a station inbetween e.g. Winsford you first have to go in the wrong direction to Crewe.

Mathew S

Established Member
Warrington to Crewe is worse. Fewer services and if you want to get to Warrington from a station inbetween e.g. Winsford you first have to go in the wrong direction to Crewe.
Am I right in thinking it's the same 1tph we get from Wigan-Crewe? And people wonder why the M6 is a car park every morning.

Chester1

Established Member

TfN will have severe limitations because northern local authorities and organisations have a historic problem with working together and won't defer to a rival town or city even when it makes sense to. A GM franchise would not disadvantage other areas as long as all of the services and paths allocated to the new franchise were specified and Northern could run any additional services it wanted to.

Staffed stations can issue these, I had one back in 2015 (bought from Piccadilly) when in another job. They are, though, hideously expensive.

It is an appallingly badly advertised ticket type and in comparison with Metrolink season tickets for a similar distance they are very expensive. TfGM should try to arrange an alternative Metrolink + Northern only season ticket to reduce the prices but the latter would be under no obligation to agree.

There is a Greater M/c rail network - it's called Metrolink. Most remaining rail services cross boundaries into other areas and/or on lines also used for freight so can't easily be separated from the national rail network. However, an extension of Metrolink from Piccadilly via Reddish North to Rose Hill (with segregated/street-running from Piccadilly to just beyond Ashburys) would be a good idea, with remaining rail services from M/c to New Mills and beyond running via Hyde only.

Metrolink has its limiations, most notably speed. None of the lines I referenced will be converted to light rail and tram train seems very unlikely because of the Sheffield debacle. Glossop/New Mills Central/Rose Hill to Piccadilly highlight my point. The lines are mostly within Greater Manchester and largely segregated from other services. Tram train might work in the long term but the first stage should be placing them under TfGM control but allowing paths for the Hope Valley stoppers and TPE service.

This Idea seems pointless. Really pointless.

Would you like to add anything valuable to the discussion?

No. It would require a mix of different train types to run which would reduce the available diagramming options. It could also mean the 'GM franchise' has a temporary stock shortage while Northern has spare units sat in sidings or vice versa. Merseyrail is very different because the franchise contains all the third rail electric services in the area meaning the 507/508s would be useless for Northern even if they are short of stock.

That problem exists for all franchises and is a matter of decent planning. We will soon be awash with old EMUs nationally anyway. London Overground doesn't limit stock available for its neighbouring franchises.

Wayfarer tickets are only available off peak and only worthwhile if would otherwise spend more than £13.

The attitude of those at the top at Transport for Greater Manchester seems to be one of... the answer is Metrolink, what is the question? So if they could convert all the remaining heavy rail lines to Metrolink they would be more satisfied.

There has been a proposal for TfGM to more control of the operation of railway stations within the Greater Manchester boundary. This would include the ticket office and platform dispatch staff being employed directly by TfGM rather than the TOCs. So far it's only a proposal though.

Chester1

Established Member
The attitude of those at the top at Transport for Greater Manchester seems to be one of... the answer is Metrolink, what is the question? So if they could convert all the remaining heavy rail lines to Metrolink they would be more satisfied.

There has been a proposal for TfGM to more control of the operation of railway stations within the Greater Manchester boundary. This would include the ticket office and platform dispatch staff being employed directly by TfGM rather than the TOCs. So far it's only a proposal though.

The stations proposal was rejected by the government this week.

TfGM are not proposing more conversions of NR track. They have proposed introducing Tram Trains but that now seems very unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.