• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would a line from Sheffield to Stocksbridge be viable? And will it happen (even if not viable!)...

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Rather than disrupt the existing (general) thread about re-openings, I thought I’d start a new one – this is one that hasn’t been discussed as much as some, so I thought it might be worth explaining it to show why I’m conflicted about a line that has taken on political significant in recent times…

Could tbtc (who, IMHO, writes copious sense on these forums) comment if the Sheffield to Stocksbridge line, currently freight only as I understand, could be a sensible candidate? I see the new MP has mentioned it on her FB page:

It's a very difficult one. Short answer is that it looks great on paper but there are two major problems (how to actually serve Stocksbridge and where to terminate services at the Sheffield end) so I’m not fully convinced.

There’s certainly “a problem” (like Ebbw Vale, it’s a steel town where the jobs are declining, so more in need of transport links into the nearest big city than even before – there’s a lot of traffic on the twisting single carriageway road down the valley through Oughtabridge), there’s a frequent commercial bus service, so it’s totally different IMHO to the frequently discussed Woodhead proposals (which are an over ambitious Solution In Need Of A Problem).

Generally speaking, linking a satellite town to the nearest big city is the kind of case I’d welcome for heavy rail (Ashington to Newcastle, Skelmersdale to Liverpool, Portishead to Bristol, Tavistock to Plymouth) as long as there’s capacity in the city for it (hence why Leigh makes sense as a guided busway because there’s no way you’re going to be able to squeeze sufficient paths into central Manchester – there are too many heavy rail services into central Manchester for the existing infrastructure as it is!) and the population density is okay (Washington is a big place to be without heavy rail but so spread out that I genuinely don’t know how you could viably serve it – without just building a big Park & Ride on the edge of town – and if you’re going to take that approach then you already have that facility at Heworth - it’d be much easier to build a massive car park for a new station at Birtley than recommission the Leamside to serve the edge of Washington).

It looks like textbook stuff from the outside; you've got a satellite town (Stocksbridge) and the nearest big city (Sheffield) - the satellite town being more economically dependent upon the big city than ever as the skilled jobs dry up (given how many people used to work at Fox's/ British Steel).

For those who don’t know the area, Stocksbridge is a fairly “thin” town along a narrow/steep valley. The Steel Works take up a large chunk of the land to the north, with pretty much all the housing on the southern side (i.e. a station at the bottom of the valley is going to be some distance from most houses – it wouldn’t be in the middle of the town). To the east is Deepcar (which has gone from being its own place to being part of the same sprawl). There’s a little difference in that Stocksbridge is more “old school steel town” whilst Deepcar has expanded into “modern housing estates for people unable to afford Sheffield or wanting a more tranquil place than the big city”.

At the edge of Deepcar is the confluence of the Porter (or Little Don), the river that runs through Stocksbridge and the Don (which has come down from Dunford Bridge through Penistone, i.e. the route of the old Woodhead line). So Stocksbridge wasn’t directly on the Woodhead route; any plan to re-open Woodhead would mean a Park & Ride on the far edge of Deepcar at best.

Years ago, Stocksbridge was administratively part of Barnsley (and some Stocksbridge pupils sent to school in Penistone). Then, with local government changes, it became part of Sheffield (and some Chapletown pupils sent to school in Stocksbridge) – in bus terms it was on the dividing line between South Yorkshire Transport and Yorkshire Traction.

In sporting terms, it’ll probably be most famous for being the first step on the ladder for a young Jamie Vardy, after the Hillsborough lad was rejected by Sheffield Wednesday and started playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels before moving to the bright lights of Halifax and Fleetwood and winning the Premier League at Leicester.

Politically it’s gone from being part of the same seat as Hillsborough (i.e. Sheffield) to being part of the same seat as Penistone (i.e. Barnsley). It used to be solid Labour (until sitting MP Angela Smith moved to The Independent Group/ Change UK) but has had UKIP councillors and the constituency has now gone Conservative (no doubt helped a little by the boundary changes), so it seems a pretty good constituency for a Prime Minister to be seen to be investing in (having gone from “red wall” solid Labour to Tory). The kind of “left behind/ white working class” town that possibly has more in common with a UKIP voting seaside resort than it does with the nearest big city (where all those “metropolitan liberal elites” apparently live).

Boris Johnson visited Stocksbridge during the election – unthinkable a generation ago but it’s the kind of place Labour used to take for-granted and have now lost. If they want to stand a chance, they’ll need to win back dozens of seats like Stocksbridge & Penistone before they can even think about targeting the kind of seats that Blair won on his path to government. So a canny conservative would target investment in places like Stocksbridge, being seen to be “Doing Something” after years of decline.

In public transport terms, the buses to Barnsley have pretty much dried up (used to be hourly on both the 381 and 384 – one via Penistone). The service to Sheffield used to be three buses an hour until about 1983 (SYT/ Mainline/ First) then generally four per hour until about ten years ago (ignoring a brief period where the upstarts at Sheffield Omnibus ran six per hour so Mainline upped their service to five per hour).

The problem was always how to serve the town centre and the houses high above it – how do you provide a simple bus service that gives a link from the various residential areas to/from central Sheffield (and Hillsborough) as well as a reasonably fast route from central Stocksbridge to/from central Sheffield (and Hillsborough) and some kind of local “town service” linking people’s houses with the shops (and the steel works etc).

The nature of the hills mean it’s not easy to serve all of the housing areas without making the service for some people tediously slow (e.g. you can run a route from Unsliven Bridge on the edge of town that also serves Garden Village – where the Leisure Centre is – but this means that Unsliven Bridge passengers have a big detour up and down the hill just to get to the Co-op).

When Stagecoach took over Yorkshire Traction (and, with it, the Yorkshire Terrier subsidiary, which included the old Sheffield Omnibus operation), they introduced a tram “feeder” minibus to the Middlewood terminus. It looked a strange idea on paper. There’s nothing at Middlewood (compared to, say, extending it through to Hillsborough, only marginally further down the valley, which is at least a bit of a destination for Stocksbridge people). To keep things simple, it was a ten minute clockwise loop around Deepcar/Stocksbridge, so people had a frequent service from some of the residential areas to the shops/jobs at the bottom of the valley but no return service back up the steep hill.

But, it worked, or at least did well enough to take a chunk out of First’s market. Stagecoach’s Optare Solos were replaced by larger E200s and the long running First service reduced in frequency.

As part of the “Sheffield Bus Partnership” (which either “removed competition in an unfair carve-up between greedy businesses” or “simplified the network and introduced inter-available ticketing”, depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty), Stagecoach took over the Sheffield – Stocksbridge bus service from First. It’s since been cut back to just hourly off peak (and effectively no evening/Sunday service) but the “feeder” service to Middlewood now has clockwise and anticlockwise versions, so there are local links around Stocksbridge/ Deepcar in both directions.

Annoyingly, this change happened as the trams were cut back to every twelve minutes (off peak – still every ten at rush hour), so the local service in each direction around Stockbridge/Deepcar has twenty four/thirty six minute gaps in the daytime, which isn’t particularly passenger friendly, but is probably the least worst option.

So, that’s the status quo. A ten/twelve minute feeder service to the tram at Middlewood (but that tram will serve central Hillsborough, the University of Sheffield and the actual city centre). Plus an hourly bus from Unsliven Bridge to Sheffield Interchange (serving central Hillsborough).

What about heavy rail though?

Firstly, a station? Presumably it’d be at the Fox Valley retail park. This is much better than it would have been a few years ago before the shopping centre opened – at least there’s *something* at the bottom of the valley other than steel works – it’s a lot more attractive than it would have been (albeit the place was descoped a bit and the anchor tenant Tesco abandoned plans so there’s an Aldi instead as consolation prize). The retail park people seem quite proactive (hosting the finishing line of the Tour De Yorkshire cycling race). There’s just the problem (like at Parkgate) of whether they’d be happy seeing their parking spaces taken up by commuters instead of shoppers.

Then maybe a station at Deepcar? It’d be a long way from where most people live but I can’t imagine a scheme *not* having a Deepcar station (you can just about see the distant houses from the railway line - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4...=42.66141&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656)

Further down the valley, the railway is on the wrong side to be of much use for most people at Wharncliffe Side/ Oughtabridge/ Middlewood (the railway runs on the north eastern side of the river, whereas the bus route is on the south western side as are the vast majority of houses). If it sounds like I’m too obsessed about hills, it’s worth noting that the Tour De France was routed through Oughtabridge to test cyclists on the tortuous inclines – these aren’t minor gradients.

Then, once in Sheffield, the rail route does a pretty amazing job of managing to avoid any areas of population – on a flat map it might look close to Shirecliffe etc but the steepness of the hills don’t help. Maybe there’s scope for a Park & Ride where it crosses the A61 near Wadsley Bridge but you’d need a fairly high frequency to justify that (in hindsight maybe the tram should have been sent that way instead of Middlewood).

It passes close-ish to Kelham Island but the run as far as Victoria doesn’t touch near many houses (and how many people are going to take an hourly train from Kelham Island to a city centre station when they could walk it in ten minutes?).

Ah, yes, Victoria… it’s a terrible site for a city centre location – nowhere near the heart of the city – up on a viaduct near a few kebab houses but little else. There’s not going to be much room for parking, it doesn’t connect with any other train services, there’s no tram stop anywhere near. So, it’d be a poor place to dump people out of trains and it wouldn’t be part of the national network.

You could extend it beyond Victoria towards Darnall. I could see an argument for building a simple station near the Supertram depot at Nunnery Square (an existing Park & Ride), and passengers get a tram from there into the city centre. But if the plan is to make people change like this then how is it better than the current arrangement of changing (from bus to tram) at Middlewood? Or you reverse the train on the line near Nunnery Square (like the “semi fast” London – Sheffield trains did to avoid them taking up platform space at Sheffield Midland). That’s probably the least worst option (a chord down from the viaduct at Victoria to cross the river and canal and Sheffield Parkway to get to the Sheffield Midland without reversal would be a huge engineering feat if done to heavy rail standards!). But this adds on more time to the journey and means fighting for space through the northern throat and into one of the precious bay platforms.

Here's the next problem. If you are competing with a ten/twelve minute tram service (and want to have a good enough frequency to tempt drivers off the A61 at Wadsley Bridge) then you need to be providing a frequent train service… but you’d be struggling to find one additional path into Sheffield Midland per hour, yet alone the number required (bearing in mind that a train heading out of Sheffield towards Nunnery Square crosses the path of a Meadowhall – Sheffield service on the flat junction).

There’s talk of a tram or tram-train up the valley. That sounds okay in theory – the line doesn’t need to be 100mph – but people are a bit vague on whether this would be an extension of the current Middlewood trams (building a new alignment from the existing terminus over the Don at Winn Gardens to join the old Woodhead route?) or a spur from the Supertram line at Shalesmoor (e.g. past the Wickes at Rutland Road and joining the Woodhead near the old Stones Brewery?) or tram-trains all the way to Nunnery Square (maybe with a reversal in the tram depot?). At least a tram-based solution would remove the need to feed into Midland (or leave passengers high and dry at Victoria).

But it still leaves the problem of being a long way for Stocksbridge residents to walk home, potentially necessitating a shuttle bus – so spending huge sums just to give people somewhere different to change from rail to bus.

Is it great for the environment if people give up the bus service (that connects with the trams) and instead *drive* to a Stocksbridge train station (for their journey into Sheffield)? If you had a frequent enough train service you could probably attract motorists from some of the villages in the Penistone line’s catchment area (Penistone is less than fifteen miles from Sheffield but it takes forty five minutes on an hourly 150 which is pretty unattractive for most people!) but it’s a fairly empty part of the country (one well worth exploring, don’t get me wrong – if you enjoyed Last Of The Summer Wine then you’ll know what I mean).

Verdict? Fairly unconvincing, without it being an outright no. There’s certainly a need there, but I don’t know if there’s a way of meeting it with heavy rail (or light rail). I wouldn’t be angry if it opened, I wouldn’t be surprised if money was at least spent on a feasibility study (to show the Tory commitment to “left behind towns” that used to be Labour). But, despite living in South Yorkshire, I’d still vote for Ashington/ Porsithead/ Tavistock etc ahead of Stocksbridge in the list of potential re-openings (and vote for HS2 ahead of any re-opening).

There’s a problem in need of a solution. I just don’t know that an hourly train service from Sheffield Midland (that has to reverse at Nunnery and only serves the bottom of the valley) will attract people from a ten/twelve minute bus service that connects to a tram that serves the city centre much better than Sheffield Midland does. For a fraction of the cost of building a new heavy rail line (which will presumably cost over a hundred million pounds by the time it opened) you could probably achieve a lot more through other means.

If you assume there will be no freight trains from Aldwarke (and abandon hopes of re-opening the entire Woodhead line), could the journey north of Middlewood be sped up by converting the alignment to guided busway, permitting much faster speeds than they currently manage, but allowing them to penetrate suburban Stocksbridge? But people don’t want small solutions, they either want a proper full on railway or nothing. Which is part of the problem with these schemes, there’s not a lot of middle ground.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It's a pity the valley seems far too steep sided for a tram to climb, even a Sheffield tram.

Veteran Member
You mention the horrendous cost of a heavy rail curve connecting Victoria and Midland, and I agree that going out to Nunnery is a no- no, but would it be feasible if built to tram standards?
I am thinking in terms of tram (or tram-train, if the freight continues) following the existing route up the valley, possibly with some new build to get past the retail park/steelworks, a P+R for the A616 at the Unsliven Bridge end, and foot/cycleway access to the settlements on the "wrong" side of the valley.

An alternative would be a new-build section of tramway at Wadsley Br/ Middlewood crossing the valley to join the railway. Possibly less expensive, and would give a better balance of routes either side of Cathedral.

Be interested to hear your view on these, as I don't know Stocksbridge and am not up to date on traffic flows across the city.

Meerkat

Established Member
Has the tram system got the capacity to cope if you extended it from Middlewood, bridging the valley across to the railway, up to a big park and ride opposite Deepcar fed by circular buses around Stocksbridge? Or would that not speed the journey up enough?

njamescouk

Why?

Most of the housing in Stocksbridge and Deepcar is up steep hills, well away from where a station could be. It is well served by the tram and bus connection at present. The new train would have to reverse to get into Sheffield station, and this bit of line is too busy already. Reopening Victoria would cost a fortune and it is very much on the periphery of the centre.

the penistone Sheffield service is already busy at peak times going round the houses via Barnsley taking 45 mins. an extension Stocksbridge - penistone would get the journey time down to 15 mins.

housing at stocksbridge is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

no one's proposing reversing into Sheffield midland - nunnery park and ride for the tram is the most obvious terminus.

strange to see so many people opposing more rsilways on here but there you go. an extension to penistone is highly unlikely but *if* it was to happen it would be busy.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I think I probably said more than enough on this thread >> https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...and-will-it-happen-even-if-not-viable.199491/

Stocksbridge remains a frustrating example of the ingredients for a route that could work on paper (post-industrial town in need of regeneration and better links to nearest big city ten miles away, frequent commercial bus service - so shades of Ebbw Vale/ Blyth etc)...

...but the geography make it very difficult to work properly (a Stocksbridge station would be inconvenient for most of the town, the line from Stocksbridge to Sheffield does an amazing job of avoiding any areas of much population and any "solution" at the Sheffield end would be an expensive/messy compromise, whether you plan to terminate at Victoria/ Neepsend/ Midland)

Feels like it'd be a very expensive way of replacing the current set up (people use frequent buses that connect to frequent light rail at Middlewood that then serves the heart of the city centre) with people using buses to connect to an hourly/ half hourly train at Fox Valley that won't serve the city centre very well/easily)

Wonderful if someone can come up with a feasible way of doing it but you're going to need a lot of crayons!

Heavy rail: NO ( getting to Sheffield station looks difficult)
Tram/Tram train: Much more likely

strange to see so many people opposing more rsilways on here but there you go.

because a few of us live in the real world. Most live in a fantasy world.

Using tram-train vehicles, I suggest a new on-street link from the existing railway at the old Wadsley Bridge station site to the Leppings Lane stop on the existing Supertram network. About 1km new construction.

Winner. build now.

Another scheme chasing the money pot is there any research on potential demand ? Or is this just a rush job to try and grab a slice

First out of the gate at the undoing beeching railway grand national.

ohgoditsjames

Always thought a tram would have been a better option and a station at Neepsend providing another connection to the trendy and popular area that is Kelham Island and it's bars, pubs, cafe's, restaurants, night markets, music venues etc.

Iskra

Established Member
Rather than disrupt the existing (general) thread about re-openings, I thought I’d start a new one – this is one that hasn’t been discussed as much as some, so I thought it might be worth explaining it to show why I’m conflicted about a line that has taken on political significant in recent times…

It's a very difficult one. Short answer is that it looks great on paper but there are two major problems (how to actually serve Stocksbridge and where to terminate services at the Sheffield end) so I’m not fully convinced.

There’s certainly “a problem” (like Ebbw Vale, it’s a steel town where the jobs are declining, so more in need of transport links into the nearest big city than even before – there’s a lot of traffic on the twisting single carriageway road down the valley through Oughtabridge), there’s a frequent commercial bus service, so it’s totally different IMHO to the frequently discussed Woodhead proposals (which are an over ambitious Solution In Need Of A Problem).

Generally speaking, linking a satellite town to the nearest big city is the kind of case I’d welcome for heavy rail (Ashington to Newcastle, Skelmersdale to Liverpool, Portishead to Bristol, Tavistock to Plymouth) as long as there’s capacity in the city for it (hence why Leigh makes sense as a guided busway because there’s no way you’re going to be able to squeeze sufficient paths into central Manchester – there are too many heavy rail services into central Manchester for the existing infrastructure as it is!) and the population density is okay (Washington is a big place to be without heavy rail but so spread out that I genuinely don’t know how you could viably serve it – without just building a big Park & Ride on the edge of town – and if you’re going to take that approach then you already have that facility at Heworth - it’d be much easier to build a massive car park for a new station at Birtley than recommission the Leamside to serve the edge of Washington).

It looks like textbook stuff from the outside; you've got a satellite town (Stocksbridge) and the nearest big city (Sheffield) - the satellite town being more economically dependent upon the big city than ever as the skilled jobs dry up (given how many people used to work at Fox's/ British Steel).

For those who don’t know the area, Stocksbridge is a fairly “thin” town along a narrow/steep valley. The Steel Works take up a large chunk of the land to the north, with pretty much all the housing on the southern side (i.e. a station at the bottom of the valley is going to be some distance from most houses – it wouldn’t be in the middle of the town). To the east is Deepcar (which has gone from being its own place to being part of the same sprawl). There’s a little difference in that Stocksbridge is more “old school steel town” whilst Deepcar has expanded into “modern housing estates for people unable to afford Sheffield or wanting a more tranquil place than the big city”.

At the edge of Deepcar is the confluence of the Porter (or Little Don), the river that runs through Stocksbridge and the Don (which has come down from Dunford Bridge through Penistone, i.e. the route of the old Woodhead line). So Stocksbridge wasn’t directly on the Woodhead route; any plan to re-open Woodhead would mean a Park & Ride on the far edge of Deepcar at best.

Years ago, Stocksbridge was administratively part of Barnsley (and some Stocksbridge pupils sent to school in Penistone). Then, with local government changes, it became part of Sheffield (and some Chapletown pupils sent to school in Stocksbridge) – in bus terms it was on the dividing line between South Yorkshire Transport and Yorkshire Traction.

In sporting terms, it’ll probably be most famous for being the first step on the ladder for a young Jamie Vardy, after the Hillsborough lad was rejected by Sheffield Wednesday and started playing for Stocksbridge Park Steels before moving to the bright lights of Halifax and Fleetwood and winning the Premier League at Leicester.

Politically it’s gone from being part of the same seat as Hillsborough (i.e. Sheffield) to being part of the same seat as Penistone (i.e. Barnsley). It used to be solid Labour (until sitting MP Angela Smith moved to The Independent Group/ Change UK) but has had UKIP councillors and the constituency has now gone Conservative (no doubt helped a little by the boundary changes), so it seems a pretty good constituency for a Prime Minister to be seen to be investing in (having gone from “red wall” solid Labour to Tory). The kind of “left behind/ white working class” town that possibly has more in common with a UKIP voting seaside resort than it does with the nearest big city (where all those “metropolitan liberal elites” apparently live).

Boris Johnson visited Stocksbridge during the election – unthinkable a generation ago but it’s the kind of place Labour used to take for-granted and have now lost. If they want to stand a chance, they’ll need to win back dozens of seats like Stocksbridge & Penistone before they can even think about targeting the kind of seats that Blair won on his path to government. So a canny conservative would target investment in places like Stocksbridge, being seen to be “Doing Something” after years of decline.

In public transport terms, the buses to Barnsley have pretty much dried up (used to be hourly on both the 381 and 384 – one via Penistone). The service to Sheffield used to be three buses an hour until about 1983 (SYT/ Mainline/ First) then generally four per hour until about ten years ago (ignoring a brief period where the upstarts at Sheffield Omnibus ran six per hour so Mainline upped their service to five per hour).

The problem was always how to serve the town centre and the houses high above it – how do you provide a simple bus service that gives a link from the various residential areas to/from central Sheffield (and Hillsborough) as well as a reasonably fast route from central Stocksbridge to/from central Sheffield (and Hillsborough) and some kind of local “town service” linking people’s houses with the shops (and the steel works etc).

The nature of the hills mean it’s not easy to serve all of the housing areas without making the service for some people tediously slow (e.g. you can run a route from Unsliven Bridge on the edge of town that also serves Garden Village – where the Leisure Centre is – but this means that Unsliven Bridge passengers have a big detour up and down the hill just to get to the Co-op).

When Stagecoach took over Yorkshire Traction (and, with it, the Yorkshire Terrier subsidiary, which included the old Sheffield Omnibus operation), they introduced a tram “feeder” minibus to the Middlewood terminus. It looked a strange idea on paper. There’s nothing at Middlewood (compared to, say, extending it through to Hillsborough, only marginally further down the valley, which is at least a bit of a destination for Stocksbridge people). To keep things simple, it was a ten minute clockwise loop around Deepcar/Stocksbridge, so people had a frequent service from some of the residential areas to the shops/jobs at the bottom of the valley but no return service back up the steep hill.

But, it worked, or at least did well enough to take a chunk out of First’s market. Stagecoach’s Optare Solos were replaced by larger E200s and the long running First service reduced in frequency.

As part of the “Sheffield Bus Partnership” (which either “removed competition in an unfair carve-up between greedy businesses” or “simplified the network and introduced inter-available ticketing”, depending on whether your glass is half full or half empty), Stagecoach took over the Sheffield – Stocksbridge bus service from First. It’s since been cut back to just hourly off peak (and effectively no evening/Sunday service) but the “feeder” service to Middlewood now has clockwise and anticlockwise versions, so there are local links around Stocksbridge/ Deepcar in both directions.

Annoyingly, this change happened as the trams were cut back to every twelve minutes (off peak – still every ten at rush hour), so the local service in each direction around Stockbridge/Deepcar has twenty four/thirty six minute gaps in the daytime, which isn’t particularly passenger friendly, but is probably the least worst option.

So, that’s the status quo. A ten/twelve minute feeder service to the tram at Middlewood (but that tram will serve central Hillsborough, the University of Sheffield and the actual city centre). Plus an hourly bus from Unsliven Bridge to Sheffield Interchange (serving central Hillsborough).

Firstly, a station? Presumably it’d be at the Fox Valley retail park. This is much better than it would have been a few years ago before the shopping centre opened – at least there’s *something* at the bottom of the valley other than steel works – it’s a lot more attractive than it would have been (albeit the place was descoped a bit and the anchor tenant Tesco abandoned plans so there’s an Aldi instead as consolation prize). The retail park people seem quite proactive (hosting the finishing line of the Tour De Yorkshire cycling race). There’s just the problem (like at Parkgate) of whether they’d be happy seeing their parking spaces taken up by commuters instead of shoppers.

Then maybe a station at Deepcar? It’d be a long way from where most people live but I can’t imagine a scheme *not* having a Deepcar station (you can just about see the distant houses from the railway line - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4798441,-1.5649992,3a,75y,212.51h,87.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOYnaYQVpo2e7l0k3QosRgQ!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=OYnaYQVpo2e7l0k3QosRgQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=42.66141&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656)

Further down the valley, the railway is on the wrong side to be of much use for most people at Wharncliffe Side/ Oughtabridge/ Middlewood (the railway runs on the north eastern side of the river, whereas the bus route is on the south western side as are the vast majority of houses). If it sounds like I’m too obsessed about hills, it’s worth noting that the Tour De France was routed through Oughtabridge to test cyclists on the tortuous inclines – these aren’t minor gradients.

Then, once in Sheffield, the rail route does a pretty amazing job of managing to avoid any areas of population – on a flat map it might look close to Shirecliffe etc but the steepness of the hills don’t help. Maybe there’s scope for a Park & Ride where it crosses the A61 near Wadsley Bridge but you’d need a fairly high frequency to justify that (in hindsight maybe the tram should have been sent that way instead of Middlewood).

It passes close-ish to Kelham Island but the run as far as Victoria doesn’t touch near many houses (and how many people are going to take an hourly train from Kelham Island to a city centre station when they could walk it in ten minutes?).

Ah, yes, Victoria… it’s a terrible site for a city centre location – nowhere near the heart of the city – up on a viaduct near a few kebab houses but little else. There’s not going to be much room for parking, it doesn’t connect with any other train services, there’s no tram stop anywhere near. So, it’d be a poor place to dump people out of trains and it wouldn’t be part of the national network.

You could extend it beyond Victoria towards Darnall. I could see an argument for building a simple station near the Supertram depot at Nunnery Square (an existing Park & Ride), and passengers get a tram from there into the city centre. But if the plan is to make people change like this then how is it better than the current arrangement of changing (from bus to tram) at Middlewood? Or you reverse the train on the line near Nunnery Square (like the “semi fast” London – Sheffield trains did to avoid them taking up platform space at Sheffield Midland). That’s probably the least worst option (a chord down from the viaduct at Victoria to cross the river and canal and Sheffield Parkway to get to the Sheffield Midland without reversal would be a huge engineering feat if done to heavy rail standards!). But this adds on more time to the journey and means fighting for space through the northern throat and into one of the precious bay platforms.

Here's the next problem. If you are competing with a ten/twelve minute tram service (and want to have a good enough frequency to tempt drivers off the A61 at Wadsley Bridge) then you need to be providing a frequent train service… but you’d be struggling to find one additional path into Sheffield Midland per hour, yet alone the number required (bearing in mind that a train heading out of Sheffield towards Nunnery Square crosses the path of a Meadowhall – Sheffield service on the flat junction).

There’s talk of a tram or tram-train up the valley. That sounds okay in theory – the line doesn’t need to be 100mph – but people are a bit vague on whether this would be an extension of the current Middlewood trams (building a new alignment from the existing terminus over the Don at Winn Gardens to join the old Woodhead route?) or a spur from the Supertram line at Shalesmoor (e.g. past the Wickes at Rutland Road and joining the Woodhead near the old Stones Brewery?) or tram-trains all the way to Nunnery Square (maybe with a reversal in the tram depot?). At least a tram-based solution would remove the need to feed into Midland (or leave passengers high and dry at Victoria).

But it still leaves the problem of being a long way for Stocksbridge residents to walk home, potentially necessitating a shuttle bus – so spending huge sums just to give people somewhere different to change from rail to bus.

Is it great for the environment if people give up the bus service (that connects with the trams) and instead *drive* to a Stocksbridge train station (for their journey into Sheffield)? If you had a frequent enough train service you could probably attract motorists from some of the villages in the Penistone line’s catchment area (Penistone is less than fifteen miles from Sheffield but it takes forty five minutes on an hourly 150 which is pretty unattractive for most people!) but it’s a fairly empty part of the country (one well worth exploring, don’t get me wrong – if you enjoyed Last Of The Summer Wine then you’ll know what I mean).

Verdict? Fairly unconvincing, without it being an outright no. There’s certainly a need there, but I don’t know if there’s a way of meeting it with heavy rail (or light rail). I wouldn’t be angry if it opened, I wouldn’t be surprised if money was at least spent on a feasibility study (to show the Tory commitment to “left behind towns” that used to be Labour). But, despite living in South Yorkshire, I’d still vote for Ashington/ Porsithead/ Tavistock etc ahead of Stocksbridge in the list of potential re-openings (and vote for HS2 ahead of any re-opening).

There’s a problem in need of a solution. I just don’t know that an hourly train service from Sheffield Midland (that has to reverse at Nunnery and only serves the bottom of the valley) will attract people from a ten/twelve minute bus service that connects to a tram that serves the city centre much better than Sheffield Midland does. For a fraction of the cost of building a new heavy rail line (which will presumably cost over a hundred million pounds by the time it opened) you could probably achieve a lot more through other means.

If you assume there will be no freight trains from Aldwarke (and abandon hopes of re-opening the entire Woodhead line), could the journey north of Middlewood be sped up by converting the alignment to guided busway, permitting much faster speeds than they currently manage, but allowing them to penetrate suburban Stocksbridge? But people don’t want small solutions, they either want a proper full on railway or nothing. Which is part of the problem with these schemes, there’s not a lot of middle ground.

I normally agree with a lot of what you write, but I find this quite negative TBTC?

Have you been to Stocksbridge recently? It's nothing like a traditional, grim steel town, due to its focus on speciality steels. Until very recently the Steelworks was growing, not declining. The town has been reinvigorated by the new retail park, which has created extra employment and is helping the local economy, a local accountant tells me he is picking up significantly more custom since this opened. Both the population and house prices are rising due to new development and a further 600 new homes are being built in the area. Okay the old town centre is a bit tatty, being neither truly historic nor modern, but that is next for re-development by a certain Mr Dransfield. Also, the sensible route in and out of Stocksbridge towards Sheffield is the the bypass then A61 or M1 depending on where you are going, as it is much quicker. Where Stocksbridge could improve, is in re-marketing itself as a 'gateway to the Pennine hills,' as it has wonderful countryside and reservoir walks very close by but it doesn't capitalise on this- rail could help with this.

Stocksbridge is not all about Sheffield economically, it's ideally located for: Penistone, Barnsley, Huddersfield, even Leeds and Manchester are important draws too, to varying extents. The bus/tram option into Sheffield is not well-regarded amongst the people of Stocksbridge and the traffic on that route at peak times is awful.

The old Woodhead line runs close to quite a lot of population, although I would personally only reopen Wadsley Bridge (with a big car park) and Oughtibridge stations, if the line were re-opened. Perhaps Wharncliffe side could be looked at once the 600 houses are built on the valley there.

I agree the retail park would be the best place for a new station, most of Stocksbridge is walkable from there.

Yes, the issue is what to do once you get to Sheffield. I think a new small station in Sheffield would be the only way to do it, it would only need to be one platform and could help regenerate part of the city centre at the same time. Although perhaps in the future HS2 might relieve the pathing issue at Sheffield Midland?

I don't think it is likely for re-opening, but it's an opportunity for a fairly cheap one (relatively) considering the track is there and in operation, all you would need to do is a few simple halt type stations (if you took a bare minimum approach). If you did it though, would you re-connect to Penistone at the same time? This did seem to be suggested in a recent Sheffield City region plan that was posted on here, so it could well happen.

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I normally agree with a lot of what you write, but I find this quite negative TBTC?
The old Woodhead line runs close to quite a lot of population, although I would personally only reopen Wadsley Bridge (with a big car park) and Oughtibridge stations, if the line were re-opened. Perhaps Wharncliffe side could be looked at once the 600 houses are built on the valley there.

I agree the retail park would be the best place for a new station, most of Stocksbridge is walkable from there.

Yes, the issue is what to do once you get to Sheffield. I think a new small station in Sheffield would be the only way to do it, it would only need to be one platform and could help regenerate part of the city centre at the same time. Although perhaps in the future HS2 might relieve the pathing issue at Sheffield Midland?

I don't think it is likely for re-opening, but it's an opportunity for a fairly cheap one (relatively) considering the track is there and in operation, all you would need to do is a few simple halt type stations (if you took a bare minimum approach). If you did it though, would you re-connect to Penistone at the same time? This did seem to be suggested in a recent Sheffield City region plan that was posted on here, so it could well happen.
Are you really proposing to open a railway line from Stocksbridge to Sheffield that will not be connected operationally to the rest of the network?
How is this any better than a tram solution?

Iskra

Established Member
Are you really proposing to open a railway line from Stocksbridge to Sheffield that will not be connected operationally to the rest of the network?
How is this any better than a tram solution?

No! The station would be on the existing line, but just a small station. Trains would terminate there, but be able to run onto the rest of the network like they currently can, but would not do so to avoid congesting Sheffield Midland. Freight would still be able to run through as now. Look at a map of the Stocksbridge line and how it emerges into Sheffield city centre, to see why this is required and it is difficult to enter Sheffield Midland.

Alternatively, you could build a station on the current line in the city centre and run the train on to Rotherham and beyond for tenuous mainline connections.

It would be similar to a tram solution, it could even be ideal for a tram-train, but it's a line capable of taking heavy steel trains, so I think using a train would be no issue? Indeed, I went up it last year on a railtour and it seemed in decent condition.

Last edited:

Doctor Fegg

Established Member
Alternatively, you could build a station on the current line in the city centre and run the train on to Rotherham and beyond for tenuous mainline connections.
Assuming there'd also be a station at Nunnery, Meadowhall wouldn't be a bad place to terminate, both as a destination and for excellent onward connections. But you'd have to share tracks (and platforms) with the Supertram for the last mile from Tinsley. That in itself might suggest tram-train rather than standard heavy-rail operation.

Iskra

Established Member
Assuming there'd also be a station at Nunnery, Meadowhall wouldn't be a bad place to terminate, both as a destination and for excellent onward connections. But you'd have to share tracks (and platforms) with the Supertram for the last mile from Tinsley. That in itself might suggest tram-train rather than standard heavy-rail operation.

It wasn’t clear whether you could get to Meadowhall Interchange from the Stocksbridge line from the map I was looking at.

Some Northern Rail trains do already go around the back way around Meadowhall already.

But yes, a Stocksbridge—Edge of City Centre-Meadowhall-Rotherham tram train seems the ideal solution.

johnnychips

Established Member
All this seems a lot of messing about for Stocksbridge residents compared with the current quarter-hourly bus to Middlewood and a tram into the proper centre of the city, not to somewhere well on its periphery.

tbtc

Veteran Member

Have you been to Stocksbridge recently? It's nothing like a traditional, grim steel town, due to its focus on speciality steels. Until very recently the Steelworks was growing, not declining. The town has been reinvigorated by the new retail park, which has created extra employment and is helping the local economy, a local accountant tells me he is picking up significantly more custom since this opened. Both the population and house prices are rising due to new development and a further 600 new homes are being built in the area. Okay the old town centre is a bit tatty, being neither truly historic nor modern, but that is next for re-development by a certain Mr Dransfield. Also, the sensible route in and out of Stocksbridge towards Sheffield is the the bypass then A61 or M1 depending on where you are going, as it is much quicker. Where Stocksbridge could improve, is in re-marketing itself as a 'gateway to the Pennine hills,' as it has wonderful countryside and reservoir walks very close by but it doesn't capitalise on this- rail could help with this.

Stocksbridge is not all about Sheffield economically, it's ideally located for: Penistone, Barnsley, Huddersfield, even Leeds and Manchester are important draws too, to varying extents. The bus/tram option into Sheffield is not well-regarded amongst the people of Stocksbridge and the traffic on that route at peak times is awful.

It wasn’t clear whether you could get to Meadowhall Interchange from the Stocksbridge line from the map I was looking at.

Some Northern Rail trains do already go around the back way around Meadowhall already.

But yes, a Stocksbridge—Edge of City Centre-Meadowhall-Rotherham tram train seems the ideal solution.

I'd say it's a place evolving from being relatively self-contained to needing better transport links (as the job situation changes) - maybe I appeared to be too damning on the town but if we are talking about rail based schemes then it's a case of Sheffield or nothing (Huddersfield is a long way, Penistone is small, Barnsley isn't a great economic draw - whilst I know people who commute from Deepcar to Leeds by car each day, it's not going to be a viable rail link).

So is the preferred solution a tram train that would serve Victoria and then take the single track route round the far side of Woodburn Road athletics track to join the existing tram train line before the Arena stop?

That doesn't serve the city centre very well (and would serve Meadowhall South but not Meadowhall Interchange, so the only interchange with a heavy rail station would be in Rotherham) - but is this instead of the Cathedral - Parkgate service (i.e. Rotherham/ Parkgate passengers lose their service to the Cathedral)? Or in addition to (given that it'd be sharing tracks with heavy rail services through Rotherham, so paths may be limited - are you using the current three services per hour benchmark as a potential Stocksbridge frequency?).

I can see there's a need for something, if it was feasible then I'm sure a line would work well but there's no easy way to serve central Sheffield (and if your plan is to dump people at Victoria then that's really not going to be attractive, especially when the current SL1 service connects to trams serving the University/ West Street/ Cathedral etc).

I'm in agreement about the quality of walks you can do from (beyond) Stocksbridge - there's some lovely countryside - I jogged from Howden over to "Fox Valley" last year - it's a part of the countryside that could do with being much better marketed - but you'd have to extend a rail service up to Langsett to properly take advantage of that.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
That doesn't serve the city centre very well (and would serve Meadowhall South but not Meadowhall Interchange, so the only interchange with a heavy rail station would be in Rotherham) - but is this instead of the Cathedral - Parkgate service (i.e. Rotherham/ Parkgate passengers lose their service to the Cathedral)? Or in addition to (given that it'd be sharing tracks with heavy rail services through Rotherham, so paths may be limited - are you using the current three services per hour benchmark as a potential Stocksbridge frequency?).
Given the rather extreme hill cilmbing capability, could you put in something to branch off the line from the centre of sheffield between the triangle junction and Hyde Park tram stop and then get over the road junction to drop down to the Victoria station site and gain the line towards Stocksbridge?

Come to think of it that might be a rather impressive viaduct, but as you say I struggle to see many better options.

deltic08

On Moderation
Heavy rail: NO ( getting to Sheffield station looks difficult)
Tram/Tram train: Much more likely.
Heavy rail YES. West Yorkshire Combined Authority are looking at ways of reducing travel time and increased frequency on the Bradford-Halifax-Huddersfield-Penistone-Sheffield corridor to compete with road transport and without travelling via Wakefield K/Leeds by joining up two services Bradford-Huddersfield and Huddersfield-Sheffield to form a through service.
Footfall is sufficient between Huddersfield-Penistone-Sheffield to support a second train per hour between Bradford and Sheffield but only one passing loop between Huddersfield and Penistone and pathing between Barnsley and Sheffield is thwarting all attempts of a through train.
The end of Pacers on this line replaced by a better unit could result in increased footfall. We will have to wait and see.
Restoring the Woodhead line between Penistone and Sheffield with a new chord from Victoria to Midland would not only reduce current time by 30 minutes but cut out conflicting movements at two busy junctions. Restoring to Stocksbridge would make this a more viable proposal.

Killingworth

Established Member
It would make more sense to slew the single track as far as needed to build a single lane bus only road with passing/overtaking places and access points to allow such buses to run into the city centre and to both Stocksbridge and Penistone.

Fav less expensive and far more versatile. Leave guided buses alone. The Cambridge system was far too expensive and rigid, but the buses are popular.

Buses are far more flexible to meet demand. If there really is the high demand that some suggest maybe such a route could later be considered for a tram-train extension of some type. However, the population density and proximity to the railway up the Don Valley looks inadequate to justify such an ambitious heavy rail scheme.

Those working on feasibilty studies will be doing very well out of the £500m that should be being directed at sorting out well known bottlenecks and upgrades that cry out for immediate attention on the mainline network. One of which might be the 2 line bottleneck of almost 2 miles exiting Sheffield Midland until Mill Race Junction. That might cost over £250m on its own, but probably necessary to run HS2 trains beyond Sheffield to the north!

Trouble is many calls for reopenings haven't looked closely enough at detailed maps showing where people live, contours, roads, rivers, canals, bridges and where old railway trackbeds have been built over. Nor considered where sufficient every day potential passengers would actually want to travel to by infreqent and inflexible trains.

johnnychips

Established Member
^ I can tell that the above reply has been written by someone who lives in the area. Well done for this excellent post.

Mike99

Then maybe a station at Deepcar? It’d be a long way from where most people live but I can’t imagine a scheme *not* having a Deepcar station (you can just about see the distant houses from the railway line - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.4798441,-1.5649992,3a,75y,212.51h,87.07t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sOYnaYQVpo2e7l0k3QosRgQ!2e0!6s//geo0.ggpht.com/cbk?panoid=OYnaYQVpo2e7l0k3QosRgQ&output=thumbnail&cb_client=maps_sv.tactile.gps&thumb=2&w=203&h=100&yaw=42.66141&pitch=0&thumbfov=100!7i13312!8i6656)

tbtc an excellent informative report, thank you, like many people I know bits and pieces around the Sheffield/South Yorkshire area but this article was very good..

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Heavy rail YES. West Yorkshire Combined Authority are looking at ways of reducing travel time and increased frequency on the Bradford-Halifax-Huddersfield-Penistone-Sheffield corridor to compete with road transport and without travelling via Wakefield K/Leeds by joining up two services Bradford-Huddersfield and Huddersfield-Sheffield to form a through service.
Footfall is sufficient between Huddersfield-Penistone-Sheffield to support a second train per hour between Bradford and Sheffield but only one passing loop between Huddersfield and Penistone and pathing between Barnsley and Sheffield is thwarting all attempts of a through train.
The end of Pacers on this line replaced by a better unit could result in increased footfall. We will have to wait and see.
Restoring the Woodhead line between Penistone and Sheffield with a new chord from Victoria to Midland would not only reduce current time by 30 minutes but cut out conflicting movements at two busy junctions. Restoring to Stocksbridge would make this a more viable proposal.
Slightly off-topic but doesn't deserve its own thread IMO:

WYCA or whatever they're calling themselves this week may well have aspirations for linking the Penistone line services to Bradford, but doing so until the rebuild of Huddersfield under the TPRU (Trans-pennine Route Upgrade) project is a non-starter. Additionally the early plans don't allow for this easily, as services from Sheffield would have to cross the fast lines to get across Huddersfield.

With the best will in the world you're looking at >2 hours from Bradford to Sheffield via Huddersfield and Penistone, the route is indirect and slow. If Bradford and Sheffield need a link, reversal at Leeds (as is planned for the Nottingham services) is the best option. Horbury curve would offer a better alternative than trying to crayon your way across Huddersfield, as then you have the option of serving Huddersfield with a reversal, or running direct via Cooper Bridge.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
It would make more sense to slew the single track as far as needed to build a single lane bus only road with passing/overtaking places and access points to allow such buses to run into the city centre and to both Stocksbridge and Penistone.

Fav less expensive and far more versatile. Leave guided buses alone. The Cambridge system was far too expensive and rigid, but the buses are popular.

A single lane road is going to cause all sorts of interesting operational problems.

Passing places will cause serious problems for journey time and will have to be placed with such frequency as to make the land take a serious issue, unless they are spaced so widely that you need a centralised traffic control system to stop buses ending up nose-to-nose no the road with nowhere to go.

Given a two-way guided busway is only 6.7m wide, I'm not sure its going to save that much space.
There is likely to space for said busway along most of the length of the route without enormously expensive works.

CdBrux

tbtc an excellent informative report, thank you, like many people I know bits and pieces around the Sheffield/South Yorkshire area but this article was very good..

I fully concur. As the person who asked the initial question I had somehow missed the thread until now

Glenn1969

Established Member
Surely the best way to serve Stocksbridge and Deepcar would be a Supertram extension from Middlewood if one is feasible?

MarkyT

Established Member
Surely the best way to serve Stocksbridge and Deepcar would be a Supertram extension from Middlewood if one is feasible?
Or tram train from Leppings Lane stop, crossing the valley on street to the site of the old Wadsley Bridge station to join the rail route (shown in yellow). Or, once over the bridge taking an alternative route squeezed behind the stadium, then across industrial land to minimise street running, as shown in orange. About 1km of new constructionin either case. Service could be split with trams going to Middlewood and tram-trains going to Stocksbridge. Could potentially be combined with the Rotherham tram-trains (with more vehicles clearly) to strengthen services on the north arm of the network, and eliminate the current reversing move at Cathedral. A lot of additional street trackage beyond Cathedral would have to be upgraded to the tram-train wheel/rail profile clearly.
leppingslane.jpg

D365

Veteran Member
A lot of additional street trackage beyond Cathedral would have to be upgraded to the tram-train wheel/rail profile clearly.

That's one of the issues, IIRC track renewals have reached Shalesmoor but would obviously need to be completed all the way up to Hillsborough.

With regards to extending the existing tram-train service, there is also the issue of road traffic on West Street, Glossop Road and the flat crossing onto Upper Hannover Street. Note how tram frequency was recently decreased to every 12 minutes from 10.

Haydn1971

Established Member
My local prospective council out and the rest of the local Labour group are pitching a “tram train” for Beighton Village, i.e. to the old Beighton Station then a vague idea of linking back to Halfway Tram stop via a stop at Killamarsh I’d guess.... I’ve asked if any economic case has been prepared, just tumbleweed in return... deathly silence tumbleweed...

Back to Stocksbridge, if the economic case is there, I could see a route running down the old line, which neatly links to the aspiration for a service to Beighton via Darnall and Waverley... however, my concern would be that you would be pushed to get more tram services through High Street, so you’d need a second cross city route, as Manchester has done, so the key question is how you link the Beighton to Stocksbridge line to the City Centre and importantly Midland Station and ideally, Meadowhall.

My pitch would be to use the area at Victoria Station to form a triangle, run a spur down Furnival Road, up Exchange Street, Haymarket, Pond Street, Brown Street, Sylvester Street, Fitzwilliam Gate, Glossop Road, terminate at the Hallamshire. A simple chord near the Tram Depot gives a link to Meadowhall, a chord near Rutland Road could give you a potential route to the Northern General. Limited impact on the current tram, huge new generators of passengers at the two hospitals.

Thoughts ?

ohgoditsjames

The tram line by the station is planned to be re routed down pond street past the bus station and form a junction at Fitzalan square and Park Square is to be removed and built on with several new buildings so a new route up Haymarket would work.

A tram line that goes to the hospitals and a loop around the ring road would also be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

tbtc

Veteran Member
Given the rather extreme hill cilmbing capability, could you put in something to branch off the line from the centre of sheffield between the triangle junction and Hyde Park tram stop and then get over the road junction to drop down to the Victoria station site and gain the line towards Stocksbridge?

Come to think of it that might be a rather impressive viaduct, but as you say I struggle to see many better options.

It's an interesting idea... quite a complex problem to solve... normally the "let's re-open a closed line" threads involve a place where there's an obvious station in the Big City to run to/from and there's still the old station site at the "town" end but the problem is how to deal with the fact that the intermediate trackbed has been built on in several places... here we have the opposite - the section of railway from Neepsend to Deepcar is still there, it's just a case of how you actually serve a station in Sheffield City Centre and whether the site at Fox Valley is going to be good enough to attract locals to walk down there in the morning and struggle back up the hill in the evening... quite the three pipe problem!

Trouble is many calls for reopenings haven't looked closely enough at detailed maps showing where people live, contours, roads, rivers, canals, bridges and where old railway trackbeds have been built over. Nor considered where sufficient every day potential passengers would actually want to travel to by infreqent and inflexible trains.

I agree with your whole post but the final paragraph is well worth quoting again - I can certainly see why Stocksbridge looks a good scheme to outsiders (and don't mean to sound patronising when I say that - it looks a simple proposal to link a town to the nearest big city on a corridor that can justify a frequent commercial bus service) but the complications at ground level make it very hard to find a viable solution for (e.g. very little capacity at Sheffield Midland, very very hard to find a route from there to the line through Victoria given the complication of the deep cutting, six lanes of Sheffield Parkway, the existing Supertram line above the railway, the canal basin, Derek Dooley Way... a half hourly train might not be much more attractive than the five/six trams per hour that connect at Middlewood to buses but it's going to be even less attractive if it means changing trains at Nunnery Square or walking up to Victoria on the fringe of the city centre rather than boarding your tram at Cathedral)

If someone can come up with a solution then I'd be happy to back it but I'm struggling to see one (even if I get my crayons out and suggest we copy the Ffestiniog Railway at Ddualt and build a massive 270 degree loop where the incinerator is to loop a northbound service out of Midland up onto the westbound Victoria line - ignoring practicalities like the canal etc!) - removes tongue from cheek!

The tram line by the station is planned to be re routed down pond street past the bus station and form a junction at Fitzalan square and Park Square is to be removed and built on with several new buildings so a new route up Haymarket would work

This is a really interesting proposal that I was only aware of earlier today - probably one for a separate thread but if you could divert the ring road to the far side of Midland station and bring the tram line closer to the bus station then it'd make that corner of the city centre much more attractive!

As the person who asked the initial question

I'm glad you did; you've created a lot of interesting discussion!

I do enjoy a thread like this where we all try to solve a problem that has no simple answers - it's interesting to see everyone's take on it - there's clearly a market there for mass transportation but I can't see how a rail link could work without a lot of compromising.

johnnychips

Established Member
I agree that this is quite a civilised debate, and long may that continue on RailUK!

I would just throw a few things in:

- I don’t think you could extend the existing tram from Middlewood along the road. It is very busy, single-carriageway, and the disruption would be horrendous.
- The roads of Deepcar and Stocksbridge housing areas are very steep, yet probably not insurmountable for a tram. But they are not very wide: presently the buses have fun negotiating parked cars on the pavement and often have to wait for oncoming traffic to clear. Once again, I would think construction disruption would be unacceptable and the tram would have to run on a single-direction loop rather than the clockwise and anti-clockwise routes the current tramlink buses take.
- I had a walk past the site of Sheffield Victoria today. It really is too far from the centre to be a walk you don’t have to think about how long it is going to take you, if you see what I mean.
- The train from Penistone to Sheffield is a long drag, but the station in Penistone is also peripheral to the town. If I lived there presently and couldn’t park easily in Sheffield I would drive to Middlewood tram stop and park there.

That’s why I can’t see any tram extensions possible, and why I think any use of the old railway would be very expensive or impractical.

Status
Not open for further replies.