• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Would you leave a stable job for a trainee drivers job in this current climate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TW3M

Hello Guys I’ve had a call from a FOC in regards to arranging a medical for a start date end of November. I was due to start in May however this was obviously cancelled. I’m in two minds at the moment as whether to go for this as I don’t want to be stuck on furlough Or even possibly unemployed if the Covid situation was to get worse.

Just want to gauge peoples opinions and what you think.

Thanks Daniel

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

vintagegt

Hello Guys I’ve had a call from a FOC in regards to arranging a medical for a start date end of November. I was due to start in May however this was obviously cancelled. I’m in two minds at the moment as whether to go for this as I don’t want to be stuck on furlough Or even possibly unemployed if the Covid situation was to get worse.

Thanks Daniel
Yes. I just have.

You may never get this chance again. Depends how bad you want it.

D5581

Yes, I will be shortly. I'm just awaiting a contract to train as an OTM driver for Colas

Gorlash1886

Yep I agree I started with a TOC last week, these are opportunities that you have to struggle sometimes for years to get grav it with both hands.

Ghost_rider

Absolutely go for it!

I've also just committed to leaving a stable job for a trainee driver position, and although the situation at present is uncertain to say the least, the opportunity may never arise again.

Established Member
Focs are far closer to Open access than they are to tocs in their financial models.

Focs are commercial entities and have to survive on the contracts they win or lose.

Yep, I’d think twice about a FOC at the moment. For that matter, I’d think twice about joining a FOC as a trainee at all.

D5581

Is this for the very recent apprenticeship position that was advertised?
nope, they was also advertising for OTM driver. Never mentioned needing to be a qualified driver, mentioned needing psychometrics which I have, had a punt and it paid off

Yep, I’d think twice about a FOC at the moment. For that matter, I’d think twice about joining a FOC as a trainee at all.
You'd be safe with Freightliner in the south with them as they have arguably some of the safest contracts - Mendips, HOBC and Tarmac

ST

Never easy to leave a secure job for another industry. I have been where you are and sought advice. For me a key factor was the fear of change which was preventing me from taking the plunge.....good luck to you whatever you decide.

dan2610

I'm in a similar position to you - I'm currently in a talent pool awaiting a start date for a TOC and would be leaving a very secure job where most of my career still lies ahead. Would be a lie if I said I didn't have the same doubts as you're having, however reading the forum regularly has been very reassuring. Seeing the amount of training/recruitment still going ahead, as well as the recent thread about the security of frontline positions has given me more confidence in my decision. It's a great opportunity and you've come this far, would be a huge shame to chuck it away and then spend forever thinking "what if?"

My advice would be don't burn any bridges with your old job, if you are worried though. If the unforeseen happens and job security as a driver vanishes, you'd hopefully have a route back to another secure career. That's my plan anyway. 100% set on a long career as a driver, however I have a secure plan B lined up just for security.

rail-god

On Moderation

Thanks Daniel

Please declined the job and allow someone else the chance of there dream job

Really ?

Established Member

Huh?!

The OP has asked a perfectly reasonable question which any sensible person in his position would ask.

Yes. Not to in any way criticise FOC drivers but personally I’d rather train at a TOC (which have more vacancies anyway) and then consider moving across to freight later if I wanted to. Moving from passenger work to freight seems a lot more common than going the other way.

Last edited:

Fred Dinenage

FOCs are a gamble. I was stung by one... I passed-up a chance with a TOC a few years ago for DB, they pulled the job a week before I was to do the psychometrics.

It’ll be very tempting. And you’ll feel like you’re so close to getting in...be careful of the rug beneath your feet.

Av80r

This is interesting, I wonder if we're talking about the same position(s).

I was contacted last week in what seemed a very rushed manner to get booked in for a medical for a start date "this winter" with a FOC after presuming my application was dead in the water and had no chance of ever refloating. But I've politely denied the opportunity as I cannot see sense in leaving a job that has been a God send during COVID for one that could be a nightmare with job security, especially as a trainee. When I applied it was another shot at something I've always wanted to do, at a time where jobs in my current industry were incredibly easy to get so the risks were low. Now I'd be leaving an industry which has grown stronger during COVID and is employing/paying more as a result, to go into an industry that is potentially volatile; especially as it appears to be a role with containers and nothing else.

Write the pros and cons on a big sheet of paper for each role, you might find that when you think about it logically there is a definite answer to this question!

Alfonso

Only you know the state of your finances, family responsibilities, likelihood of getting a different job if the train driving doesn't work out for whatever reason (essentially, what's the worst that could happen), but bigger picture, I think there are many drivers nearing retirement and a need to replace them, regardless of expansion and contraction. I'm not in the industry and couldn't comment on whether FOC is a stepping stone to TOC (if that's what you actually want) or a dead end.

JonnyBoxer

As outlined by previous posters it’s a decision only you can make taking into account your personal and family situation.

I have worked harder than ever throughout the COVID-19 pandemic. Have a secure and well paid job with career average pension, private healthcare. In the interim my salary would drop substantially and after qualifying it would be close to what I am making now. However, it’s a position (Train Driver) which I’ve wanted to do for many years and if successful in gaining employment as a trainee driver - I couldn’t let it pass me my, I’d regret it forever more.

But that’s taking into account MY personal situation.

Whatever you decide to do - Good luck, just be wary, make sure it’s for you - then check again.

Vespa

Established Member
There is an option if its available, you could take a career break, say you're going away to find yourself or a big trip etc, should it not work out you still have a job to come back to, maybe a drop in seniority for the time you're out.

My employer has that option, I've never needed to take it up, in any case I'm in a reasonable well paid job driving lorries for a national company with a long seniority, for me to move now would mean giving up a lot of privileges and starting at the bottom with 8 years to retirement.

If you're young and confident enough enough, go for it.

theironroad

Established Member

Bit harsh. The op is just trying to make a considered decision during turbulent times. Doesn't mean they don't want the job but have to consider all scenarios.

TW3M

Hello guys wow thanks for the all your responses, definitely a lot to think about before the medical! Have to get through that first anyway lol. At the moment I’m definitely leaning towards going for it and not burning bridges where I am currently. An opportunity I don’t think I can turn down

Thanks Again Dan

donpoku

Go for it and once qualified you can apply to any TOC as a qualified driver.

All the best m8.

That’s quite an opinion. I think like TOCs it very much depends on the individual company. Also it depends on whether you want to drive passenger or freight.
I’ve learnt to drive with an FOC and feel it’s a real grounding for loco hauled stock both Diesel and electric and I’m very glad I started my railway career with an FOC.
In terms of job security yes it traditionally is more volatile, however in this current climate I actually feel more secure than ever and with the prospect of HS2 works the work load will be here until the day I retire.

hiredgun

From my understanding of the OP’s question, they have already passed the Phsyco’s and MMI/DMI etc..?
A position many people would give a kidney for!

So are people suggesting he’d be better to await a TOC than take an (almost) dead-sert FOC job?

Are TOC’s really that much better?

My thought (if I was lucky enough to be in that position) if the FOC is prepared to gamble and pay to train me, I’d gamble on going for it.... and repay that gamble by NOT defecting as soon as I had the chance.

Established Member
That’s quite an opinion.

Yep, that’s my opinion, knowing both TOC and FOC drivers (and some who’ve done both). Nothing wrong with FOC driving of course (in many ways it’s more skilled) but it’s less secure and there are far more opportunities with TOCs.

A position many people would give a kidney for!

That’s irrelevant to his situation. He needs to deal with what’s in front of him. If he can pass the aptitude tests with a FOC he will also be able to get a job at a TOC.

Are TOC’s really that much better?

Horses for courses, and it all varies by location etc. But on the whole freight seems to appeal to two categories of driver: cranks who enjoy driving locos, and those who can’t get jobs elsewhere.

Less job security, no priv, no pension (depending on operator), 0200 book ons for running turns, hours sitting in engineering possessions in the dead of night, 12 hour movements off spare etc. If none of that means much to you now, rest assured it will mean a great deal when you’re in the industry.

Last edited:

SRH

As most have said. These opportunities dont come around often. However i do think you have valid concerns.. Im sure you will make the right decision for yourself and your family and i wish you all the best

Freight could certainly lead to passengers in your future which is undoubtedly safer.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Yep, that’s my opinion, knowing both TOC and FOC drivers (and some who’ve done both). Nothing wrong with FOC driving of course (in many ways it’s more skilled) but it’s less secure and there are far more opportunities with TOCs.

That’s irrelevant to his situation. He needs to deal with what’s in front of him. If he can pass the aptitude tests with a FOC he will also be able to get a job at a TOC.

Horses for courses, and it all varies by location etc. But on the whole freight seems to appeal to two categories of driver: cranks who enjoy driving locos, and those who can’t get jobs elsewhere.

Less job security, no priv, no pension (depending on operator), 0200 book ons for running turns, hours sitting in engineering possessions in the dead of night, 12 hour movements off spare etc. If none of that means much to you now, rest assured it will mean a great deal when you’re in the industry.

it should also be said this doesn’t apply to all freight. Where I am, we still have full railway pension for new joiners, 4 hour movements off spare only, no engineering possessions and a 13 week roster to plan our lives around. Coupled with no passengers to worry about, no one overly concerned if we’re running a few minutes late, and not having to stop at stations, means it could be just as appealing as TOC work to many.

Established Member
it should also be said this doesn’t apply to all freight. Where I am, we still have full railway pension for new joiners, 4 hour movements off spare only, no engineering possessions and a 13 week roster to plan our lives around. Coupled with no passengers to worry about, no one overly concerned if we’re running a few minutes late, and not having to stop at stations, means it could be just as appealing as TOC work to many.

That sounds good, to be fair, and more like a TOC. Albeit not representative of all FOC depots. The Ts and Cs are generally worse.

I was perhaps a bit too harsh with my initial reply. FOC driving clearly has some good points, and I’d never advise someone to turn down a way to get a key. Albeit personally, I’d feel a lot more comfortable joining a TOC, given how things are at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.