• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrexham & Shropshire fare increases

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/...-shropshire-rail-boss-says-use-it-or-lose-it/

Wrexham and Shropshire rail boss says ‘Use it or lose it’

ANDY HAMILTON, managing director of Wrexham & Shropshire railway company, explains why he has today issued a “use it or lose it” plea to passengers

Many businesses are feeling the squeeze of the recession and the rail industry is no exception.

When my team and I launched a much-needed direct rail service from Shropshire to London Marylebone back in April 2008, we had a vision of a train company that offered a comfortable travelling environment for passengers coupled with excellent customer service and value for money.

I think we have achieved that, and the passengers here in Shropshire tell us as much almost daily. Our commitment to service has also been independently recognised: earlier this year we scored the highest rating for passenger satisfaction – 99 per cent – ever scored by a UK train company, in a survey carried out by Passenger Focus, the independent rail watchdog.

But we are not complacent. We recognise that we need to keep listening to our customers – particularly as we operate as an open access business (without government subsidy), which means that our success and even our survival depends on being able to keep enticing people out of their cars and onto our trains.

Like all businesses, Wrexham & Shropshire is not immune to economic pressures, such as the recession and rising fuel costs. Despite loyal customers and consistent week-on-week growth in terms of passenger numbers, we are still not making the profit we need to safeguard the future of our rail service. That is why we have taken the difficult decision to make changes to some of our fares from mid September.

From September 20, there will now be two standard fares: semi flexible and fully flexible. The fully flexible ticket will be valid on all trains — the semi flexible ticket on all trains with the exception of the 05:52 Shrewsbury to Marylebone, and the 16:30 Marylebone to Shrewsbury (both Monday — Friday). We will also continue to have discounted Advance tickets available on every train.

We have decided to increase fares in this way as it will affect only a very small minority of our customers. Put in context, this means that there will be no increase in fares on 44 out of the 54 trains we run each week. Passengers on these trains will enter 2011 with us having not having increased fares at all in the three years we have been operating – unprecedented for a train company.

Even though our fully flexible prices are still nearly 70 per cent lower than the equivalent Virgin ticket to Euston (and we will continue to offer our excellent value £120 first class fare), this has still been a tough decision.

“We would much rather have never had to increase any of our prices – but that would not be realistic for any business. All our passengers are important to us, which is why this news is coming direct from me.

My team, most of whom are local, and I remain committed to providing you with a quality service and innovations such as ‘ticket by text’, that you tell us make your journeys easier and more pleasant.

To do that, we are relying on your continued support to ensure that the train service we offer remains busy and open for business. My message is simple: we will keep offering you a great service, but please keep using it or there’s a risk you may lose it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Got this notice last week, this is what it said to SCRUA members

Sent: Thursday, 5 August, 2010 17:30:07
Subject: Wrexham & Shropshire Railway Fares

All

Wrexham & Shropshire Railways would like you to be informed, in advance of the press release, of changes to their fares which will come into operation in September 2010.

The current fare structure has been with us some considerable time and whilst they are keen to try and make ticketing easy for the passenger they will be introducing a 'peak time' fare which applies to passengers using their 05.10 off Wrexham General or the 16.30 out of Marylebone.

The First Class walk on fare of £120 from all stations will remain the same.

The off peak walk on fares will see little change with Wrexham/Ruabon/Chirk/Gobowen being £50 return. Stations Shrewsbury through to Cosford will remain at £40.

Return Fares on this line (Wrexham through to Gobowen) on the new peak time services will be £60 and from Shrewsbury through to Cosford £50.

The Advance Purchase fares not be affected and will still be available.

It is apparent that by introducing 'peak time fares' they have minimised the impact the fare rises will have on the vast majority of passengers using this service.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Regards

Last edited:

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Its no secret that world oil prices are going to have a nice hike again and our mainly non electrified railway away from London Commuters will suffer, but conversely this will push more car users at the railway which doesn't have any extra carriages to cater for them.

Andy Hamilton must be careful about crying wolf- one day he might be right but no one will be listening. W & S business plan like everyone else s did not include the recession.

I find it incomprehensible that W & S will not get cover from DB as the prize of May 12 is looming when they can stop and pick up at Wolves, New St etc.

Established Member
Do rail companies (as bus companies do) 'hedge' their fuel prices for a fixed rate, in order to get the cheapest price at the time for their fuel over a long time frame? Therefore this means that they'll have lower prices than the current price, but of course this means prices go up when this contract runs out.

tbtc

Veteran Member
Do rail companies (as bus companies do) 'hedge' their fuel prices for a fixed rate, in order to get the cheapest price at the time for their fuel over a long time frame? Therefore this means that they'll have lower prices than the current price, but of course this means prices go up when this contract runs out.

They'd be stupid not to

Poor W&S, they can't cry wolf and blame ATW any more (since the Germans took over Arriva) :roll:

Metroland

Established Member

Yes. Though it has to be said, fuel isn't a major component in running the service, it's typically about 12th of the cost, if that. Having said that, that 67 on such a short train never struck me as the most eco friendly arrangement.

I shall have to try and use the service at some stage I think.

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Wrexham and Shropshire have missed out on a large potential market by not connecting to the Cambrian line. Whilst the Dec 08 tt change and Virgins VHF have settled things down people are still traveling with luggage on cramped Pendolinos and changing at various less than nice points in West Midlands onto often overcrowded and still un refurbished ATW 158's.

We reckon the London/Mid Wales mkt is c70-100K journeys per annum. Surely if in May 11 after Evergreen 3 they get better paths which actually connect with Aberystwyth trains there's a big opportunity to up their ridership.

Does anyone have sight of proposed W & S May 11 TT?

With ATW in the same stable some accommodation could be reached to "feed" passengers in to W & S so all the Mid Wales/ London flow revenue stays in group not goes to Virgin. This will also allow ATW to market the flow to Birmingham from Shropshire as longer distance passengers will change from the Cambrian at Shrewsbury creating space.

Some TOCs have hedged others not also the oil company's have been less willing to accommodate such deals recently.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Capacity request deadline for May 11 is August 27th, nothing is even vaguely concrete until then. EG3 is still has an element of fluidity in it but I wouldnt expect the WSMR paths to change through the West Mids, therefore you'll either get into London earlier and leave at a different time.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I find it incomprehensible that W & S will not get cover from DB as the prize of May 12 is looming when they can stop and pick up at Wolves, New St etc.

Or DB being the ruthless German efficiency machine looks at how much money WSMR are actually making versus the costs and decides to bin it ?? Just because moderation of competition may go (its not certain, though I cant see it staying), doesnt mean the West Coast/West Mids timetable will get another re-cast enabling new or different paths. It would only be 4 years since the previous one.

TheBigD

Established Member
Didn't WSMR threaten to stop running when the ATW service to Marylebone was planned as well?

steve099

Considering these rises, I continue to find it odd that the fare is not staggered between Cosford and Shrewsbury? This effectively means Telford travellers are subsidising those from Shrewsbury.

The real problem here, however, is that the £50 fare now takes it above the off-peak return for travel by Virgin and LM/ATW. Considering most journeys are off-peak and you can still do a full day-out in London on an off-peak return via Virgin, the new fare structure seems to be flawed. Unless the new timetable manages to take the journey time to under 3 hours, can they really compete (significantly now at this hiked price) with a faster connection?

The Planner

Veteran Member
Ive said it another thread, there is no way you are taking 47 minutes off the WSMR journey.

steve099

Ive said it another thread, there is no way you are taking 47 minutes off the WSMR journey.

Sorry, I travel from Shrewsbury so my 'under 3 hours' refers to from SHR. I highly doubt that'll be achievable until Evergreen 3..

Gareth Marston

Established Member
Considering these rises, I continue to find it odd that the fare is not staggered between Cosford and Shrewsbury? This effectively means Telford travellers are subsidising those from Shrewsbury.

The real problem here, however, is that the £50 fare now takes it above the off-peak return for travel by Virgin and LM/ATW. Considering most journeys are off-peak and you can still do a full day-out in London on an off-peak return via Virgin, the new fare structure seems to be flawed. Unless the new timetable manages to take the journey time to under 3 hours, can they really compete (significantly now at this hiked price) with a faster connection?

This is all semantics, WSMR have no real business case until Moderation of Competition ends. DB must have known this when they bought into it and any owner will have been in no position but to subsidise until then or instantly pull plug/not go ahead with project. That's not too say that there's concerns behind the scenes at the moment but there over half way from launch to May 12 now.

WSMRMD

Gareth,

With all due respect you are off the mark to suggest that there was/is no business case for Wrexham & Shropshire without Wolverhampton. It would have been very foolish to entier into a business venture and invest millions of pounds on the basis of a hope that the ORR might allow us to compete with the West Coast franchise at Wolverhampton after 2012. None the less we have started a business at a difficult time and the recession combined with our failure to achieve faster journey times as quickly as we would have liked has meant that our initial expectations on growth have not yet been met.

I would be more than happy to come and talk to an open SARPA session about our Business Plan and why we would love to connect with Cambrian services at Shrewsbury if it were possible to do so - it would obviously earn us more money - but as The Planner will explain better than I can, it is not that simple due to the pattern of services around Shrewsbury and through the West Midlands.

Regards

Andy Hamilton

paul1609

Established Member
Andy,

With all due respect to you, a lot of people on here will be wondering how you ever came up with a sensible business plan for Wrexham & Shropshire!
Business traffic is in my experience very time sensitive and I will certainly change trains once to save 15 mins on a journey, as far as I can see that leaves you with no destinations that are ever going to generate a significant business income.
Shrewsbury is probably your best bet but you need to slash at least 20 to 25 mins off your current times.

Whilst your staff and on train services are undoubtedly excellent this does not offset the tedious and frustrating trundle round the Birmingham suburbs which seems to include stopping at every second signal.

This seems to leave you with low priced leisure traffic. As Wrexham (not really sure why you ever went there anyway) and Shrewsbury are not really destinations from the south you are going to be limited to early morning trains to London and late evening returns.

The same circumstance apply to some extent to Great Central but they can balance their book by ORCATs raids on the London to York flow.

I can certainly understand why Gareth thinks you are holding on for a share of the London Wolverhampton market.

thefab444

Established Member
This seems to leave you with low priced leisure traffic. As Wrexham (not really sure why you ever went there anyway)

I believe they went to Wrexham to secure some extra funding from the WAG, something to do with the depot? Merlodlliw'd have you believe they went to Wrexham out of the goodness of their hearts to provide him with a service to London he rarely uses.

Established Member
I got some form of e-mail about this the other day, not fussed about any kind of fare rise as your getting great service for your money, may have to take a FC Trip with WSMR sometime end of the year and try that one out

Not read many of the posts on here in depth but I have to say, I wish all the best for WSMR in these difficult finacial times, would be one of the lowlights of the decade (thus far) if we were to loose them, so if a slight fare rise keeps them going then so be it

the other day (29th July) I traveled with them again and it was quite full but the comments I overheard from other passengers were good, one even said "i'm not in first class am I?", so all good and all the best for WSMR

Status
Not open for further replies.