• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong Railcard put on my oyster card, am I eligible for refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweetjesus

Approximately 6 months ago, I went to a tfl staff to ask put the disabled persons railcard on my oyster card.

After 6 months, I got myself an anniversary oyster card and decided to put a Railcard on it without transferring my old oyster card to it.

Now my commute are cheaper.

I travel almost everyday since 6 months ago and a lot of my trips were during peak time.

Can I get a refund on this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Unfortunately there is no entitlement to a refund of the amount you've overpaid by here. You could certainly ask TfL to pay something on a goodwill basis but I imagine they would refuse - as would be their right.

Sweetjesus

Can you explain why you believe that there is no entitlement given that this is error by tfl staff?

fandroid

Established Member
Are you saying that you detected that a wrong Railcard had been loaded onto the first Oyster, by noticing that travel had become cheaper after the correct Disabled Railcard was loaded on the new card?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Can you explain why you believe that there is no entitlement given that this is error by tfl staff?
You’d need to prove their error for a start, and you’ve had six months to notice it. I’d definitely complain, but you’ll have trouble getting a penny out of them I’m afraid.

Sweetjesus

You’d need to prove their error for a start, and you’ve had six months to notice it. I’d definitely complain, but you’ll have trouble getting a penny out of them I’m afraid.
Would the fact a national Railcard been added instead of disabled persons Railcard be enough?

Are you saying that you detected that a wrong Railcard had been loaded onto the first Oyster, by noticing that travel had become cheaper after the correct Disabled Railcard was loaded on the new card?

Yes.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
No, how would they know you didn’t add a previous railcard to it yourself? I had a 16-25 before my Disabled Railcard on my Oyster.
Isn’t the whole serial number supposed to be recorded on the Oyster card? So the OP’s original card should still show the serial number of a Disabled Railcard alongside the National Railcard entitlement.

Which seems to be an error they’ve made a few times. There was a recent thread about someone having the wrong discount applied because staff didn’t find the right option on the staff menu on the POM. A customer cannot apply any railcard discount by themself, it needs staff intervention - so I think it should be worth pursuing with TfL.

This is the thread from a few weeks ago, unusually it was in the LU sub forum:

Last edited:

Adam Williams

Established Member
TfL could very easily validate that the LTOT in the railcard number (they follow a well-defined format, a disabled railcard should include the characters "ZMN") matches the discount that the member of staff is trying to add, if their Oyster POM actually let staff enter the full railcard number (I seem to recall that staff need to enter a subset of it, and only numbers for some bizarre reason). This sort of validation would completely eliminate this class of errors.

It is disappointing, but not surprising, that the Oyster system is so primitive in this respect.

gray1404

Established Member
I have had the exact same issue as the OP. However I noticed the day after the mistake being made when I checked my previous days travel history. I contacted the help desk about this and they sent a £20 Goodwill gesture payment but this was only after I had escalated the matter as I was initially fobbed off.

island

Veteran Member
TfL could very easily validate that the LTOT in the railcard number (they follow a well-defined format, a disabled railcard should include the characters "ZMN") matches the discount that the member of staff is trying to add, if their Oyster POM actually let staff enter the full railcard number (I seem to recall that staff need to enter a subset of it, and only numbers for some bizarre reason). This sort of validation would completely eliminate this class of errors.

It is disappointing, but not surprising, that the Oyster system is so primitive in this respect.
The Oyster card specification predates online Railcards and so all Railcards in issue at that time had a 5-digit number.

lewesroad

I need to have my Disabled Persons railcard added to Oyster. Is there any advice I should give to the staff member that does it for me to make sure that they add the correct railcard?

sjb-2812

My DRC does not contain ZMN in the railcard number, though it does have a Z and an N; for what it's worth.

Status
Not open for further replies.