• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong roundel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meglos

As Croydon Council has been declared bankrupt for the third time in 4 years recently, surely the wording should be "London Borough of Bankruptcy"

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
TfL are quite protective about their roundels. I think Croydon Borough Council and its advertising agency might soon be getting a letter from TfL's Intellectual Property lawyers.
Doubt it. Norwood Junction is run by London Overground as far as l know.

Precedent was unfortunately set when they started granting temporary renaming rights for entire stations to paying sponsors.
Agreed

Dave W

Well if it wasn’t ran by Overground then TfL would have no jurisdiction and wouldn’t care

That's not the point @Wolfie was making.

I think they'd be bothered if the TfL roundel was being misused anywhere where they'd not approved it. Actually, the fact it's on their station and thus in their "jurisdiction" probably means they're less bothered.

Wolfie

Established Member
That's not the point @Wolfie was making.

I think they'd be bothered if the TfL roundel was being misused anywhere where they'd not approved it. Actually, the fact it's on their station and thus in their "jurisdiction" probably means they're less bothered.
Exactly, TY.

Purple Train

Established Member
Station signs are for information, not advertising. Same for PISes. The trend to misuse both deeply annoys me.
How long before some wag with a black permanent marker turns up and adds ‘NOT’ :lol:
Don't tempt me! :lol:

I would probably (if I were to do anything, which I won't/can't/shouldn't (delete as appropriate)) just scrawl "Norwood Junction" just below the roundel. Surely my handwriting can't be worse than WAGN's on their Travelcard livery... ;)

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
I must admit I can’t stand station running in boards where the name of the station is right up at one end of the sign and the majority is blank white. Feels like it needs ”This part of the sign is left intentionally blank” :D

norbitonflyer

Established Member
I must admit I can’t stand station running in boards where the name of the station is right up at one end of the sign and the majority is blank white. Feels like it needs ”This part of the sign is left intentionally blank” :D
Or any wording which makes it harder to identify where you are -whether it says "Welcome to....." or ".... - Home of [some company you've never heard of]"
Obviously, "Alight here for xxx Hospital/ stadium" or similar is useful, especially if the establishment shares a name with a different station on the same line - e.g Norbiton for Kingston Hospital or, in former days, Upton Park for West Ham United football ground.

bicbasher

Established Member
If that design was used at West Croydon, I don't think it'd be a major issue, but using it at Norwood Junction causes unnecessary confusion for passengers not familar with the area.

Wolfie

Established Member
If that design was used at West Croydon, I don't think it'd be a major issue, but using it at Norwood Junction causes unnecessary confusion for passengers not familar with the area.
Indeed. In blurring the boundary between Croydon the London council borough and stations which have Croydon in their name it potentially induces confusion. People who don't live in Croydon or it's near environs most likely neither know nor care that Norwood Junction is in the borough. They will almost certainly, unless they have been specifically told otherwise, be wishing to travel to a Croydon station.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
Although a sign just big enough to accomodate three letters would be a bit inconspicious. A large white sign (with the name centrally placed) is easier to see.
30769018_JvNxfNEhJ7F_Jw2AFZL7TBqkOpaX_P63jNqjFMh7XN0.jpg

bicbasher

Established Member
Indeed. In blurring the boundary between Croydon the London council borough and stations which have Croydon in their name it potentially induces confusion. People who don't live in Croydon or it's near environs most likely neither know nor care that Norwood Junction is in the borough. They will almost certainly, unless they have been specifically told otherwise, be wishing to travel to a Croydon station.
While Norwood Junction isn't the major interchange East Croydon is, it's still served by trains from as far as Bedford and has more National Rail TOC services calling there than London Overground who manage the station.

John Webb

Established Member
On Tuesday 21st November I made a very rare trip south of London Bridge to East Croydon. One thing that struck me was the difficulty of reading the 'roundel' names when passing through stations non-stop once south of the river, so I lost all sense of exactly where I was! O for the large 'running-in' boards of BR days.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I recently had to persuade someone who wanted West Croydon NOT to get off from a London Bridge to Epsom service at Norwood Junction because the part of the train we were in stopped opposite one of these misleading roundels - he had to ask me three times if I was "sure this isn't Croydon?!"

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
As far as I can see, Norbury station is in the London Borough of Croydon, so is perfectly entitled to be part of the LB Croydon PR, as is (eg) Purley.
How that fits on to railway nomenclature is another matter.
But denying it is "Croydon" would seem wide of the mark.

Purple Train

Established Member
I wonder if this is the first time our stuff has been used in the wider media (at least directly in this way)?
I seem to remember a similar article appearing on MyLondon when a poster wondered why there weren't any Jubilee Line stations between (if I remember correctly) Canada Water and Canary Wharf. And then, of course, there is the immortal Daily Mail article after a thread on here "flushed out the truth" about an interesting delay reason at Henwick (near Worcester)...

So it has been used directly before, albeit not very often. Personally I think it's a rather poor show of the journalist in question to pick out a series of quotes and go, "Look, there's my article, job done," but there we are.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I seem to remember a similar article appearing on MyLondon when a poster wondered why there weren't any Jubilee Line stations between (if I remember correctly) Canada Water and Canary Wharf. And then, of course, there is the immortal Daily Mail article after a thread on here "flushed out the truth" about an interesting delay reason at Henwick (near Worcester)...

So it has been used directly before, albeit not very often. Personally I think it's a rather poor show of the journalist in question to pick out a series of quotes and go, "Look, there's my article, job done," but there we are.
The Telegraph used quotes from this forum in early November regarding driver’s pay and conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.