• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Wrong type of bees cause 11 hour delay

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/6691851.stm

Swarm of bees grounds UK aircraft

Almost 200 passengers found themselves stranded at Bournemouth Airport for 11 hours after their plane turned back after flying into a swarm of bees.

The Palmair Boeing 737, bound for Faro in Portugal, took off from Bournemouth at 0810 BST on Thursday.

But after flying into the swarm the pilot experienced an engine surge an hour later and returned the aircraft to the UK for checks.

Engineers ruled it was unsafe to fly and another plane took off at 1915 BST.

Ingested bees

A total of 196 passengers were affected including 90 attempting to travel to the Algarve and a further 106 waiting to return to the UK.

The incident happened just two days after a swarm of 20,000 bees descended on Bournemouth Pier. It is believed the plane's engines ingested the bees while flying over Bournemouth but this did not cause problems until later into the flight. The passengers from Faro arrived back in Britain at 0120 BST

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

T

Tom

I read this earlier somewhere else .... think it was on the BBC news new section thing.

TBH I don't think it was right to delay the flight for that long, but Palmair only have 2 aircraft last time I checked and there are limits to capacity.

That swarm of bees was mightily annoying though....

Established Member
Well Bourenmouth Airport (BOH) Isnt excatly In or near the center of bourenmouth its closer to Christchurch then anything else , would take you about half an hour to drive to bourenmouth center or the station and longer on the bus , The aircraft will be ok because BASCO will fix it if its gone abit wrong , hmm anyone know whats happening to the 3 747s they have there 2 727s , 1 737 ? If anyone is intrested on watching planes theres a little cabin place just behind the airport you can sit at and see all the planes:-P

Ta Fred:-P

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
TBH I don't think it was right to delay the flight for that long, but Palmair only have 2 aircraft last time I checked and there are limits to capacity.
I wonder if Hull Trains could detain passengers at King's Cross for 11 hours (because they don't have many trains). The fact is that passengers rights on trains are vastly superior than on planes, and that needs highlighting. The next time someone moans at a 65 minute delay they should realise the delay could be 665 minutes if they were on a plane!

That swarm of bees was mightily annoying though....
Maybe to the aircraft, but they have the right to live, and we shouldn't have the right to wreck havoc in the sky like we do. Hopefully one day we'll be prevented from doing so before it's too late.

Coxster

Established Member
but they have the right to live, and we shouldn't have the right to wreck havoc in the sky like we do
I totally agree. It means birds, for example, come down to earth and get hit by trains instead :p

T

Tom

I wonder if Hull Trains could detain passengers at King's Cross for 11 hours (because they don't have many trains). The fact is that passengers rights on trains are vastly superior than on planes, and that needs highlighting. The next time someone moans at a 65 minute delay they should realise the delay could be 665 minutes if they were on a plane!
Hull Trains have the capability of being able to drop trains onto new services with ease by turning back at any old station, while with aircraft you're midflight, and the next airport you are visiting is say, 3 hours away (max with Palmair).

With every mode of transport - there are difficulties and restrictions, hence why the plane was turned back... :roll:

Maybe to the aircraft, but they have the right to live, and we shouldn't have the right to wreck havoc in the sky like we do. Hopefully one day we'll be prevented from doing so before it's too late.

Oh I know... let's get gliders.

Tom B

Established Member
Unfortunately the vast majority of the general public loves planes and hates trains - which is why there's so much pro-air and anti-rail propaganda in the media.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
I wouldn't say that they love planes, I think for most people they are just a way of getting from A to B, used since they are the most viable or only option, and I definitly wouldn't say there is lots of pro-air and anti-rail propaganda.
The majority of the public take different view to reliability of air compared to rail, since many people use rail on a regular basis so often get problems (remember, even with 90% punctuality you are still going to be delayed on 1in10 journies, which for a regular commuter is once a week), wheras most people fly a couple of times a year, so are less likely to experiance problems. Also, when delays to flights occur, they are not percieved as bad in most cases due to the length of stay (being an hour late for a 2 week holiday is nothing like as bad as for a day out), the nature of the journies (the majority of people only use air for leisure trips, wheras the majority of rail users I expect are commuters or business travellers, and the length of journey (a delay on a long trip won't seem as bad as the same delay on a short trip). Also, in a lot of cases airports are nicer places to be delayed than railway stations (afterall, many stations have very basic facilities, perhaps just bus shelters).
As for satety, it's a fact that air is safer than rail (about twice as safe per mile), and there hasn't been a fatal air crash involving a passenger plane in Britain since 1989 (Kegworth), and the last serious but none fatal accident was 1990 (explosive decompression of BA flight), and infact there hasn't been a fatal crash of a British registered passenger plane since Kegworth, although a Britannia flight did crash on landing in Spain in 1999 with some injuries but no fatalities. The last major crash of a Western airliner was 2001 (American Airlines flight which crashed in New York), with the vast majority of accidents these days involving third world airlines flying elderly planes, which arn't of concern to people in the UK, any more than train crashes abroad are.

Oracle

Established Member
Bournemouth nee HURN airport is indeed in the Borough of Christchurch, and of course Southampton nee Eastleigh Airport is in the Borough of Eastleigh. BAP is really due north of Hengistbury Head, which is some way from the town centre. I know, I have flown enough times out of there in a Cessna.

Ever since the authorities extended the main runway to about 7500 feet the airport has been able to cope with 747s, and they used to be parked there awaiting charters. You can also get a turboprop, such as an F27 or similar on the cross-runway.

ChrisCooper

Established Member
It probably happened not long after take off at much lower altitude. For some reason it took an hour for them to cause problems with the engines.

If a pilot sees a problem with the engines, he's gunna need to land the plane in case it drops out of the sky. I always back up the railways when trains are delayed due to issues of safety and I will do the same for planes even though I know nothing about them. Fact is, I'd rather see a plane delayed for 11 hours than see on the news about 200 people being killed in a plane crash.

Status
Not open for further replies.