• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

WSMR Class 67 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ukrob

Established Member
1) What is the highest speed they achieve on their current route to London?

2) What is the max speed a Class 67 with four mk3 vehicles (3 plus DVT)? Is it less than the 125mph top speed due to weight or any other factors?

Cheers :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mbonwick

Established Member
2. Class 67s can only do 125mph under very strict conditions (most not imposed by NR, but by the way they are built). Max speed they can do under most circumstances is 110MPH.

ukrob

Established Member
2. Class 67s can only do 125mph under very strict conditions (most not imposed by NR, but by the way they are built). Max speed they can do under most circumstances is 110MPH.

OK, let me rephrase it, under perfect conditions on track which NR let them do 125mph on, does the fact that it is only pulling four coaches impact the maximum allowed speed? That is what I am after :)

Daimler

Established Member
1. When we went on it in November, it got up to 96 (or was it 97?) somewhere between Banbury & Birmingham - presumably the linespeed was 100.

Pumbaa

Established Member
OK, let me rephrase it, under perfect conditions on track which NR let them do 125mph on, does the fact that it is only pulling four coaches impact the maximum allowed speed? That is what I am after :)

No - it's the stupid axle loading.

And I'm pretty sure it's 100mph not 110, but I'm sure The Planner can confirm!

The max route speed is 100mph for MUs, and I think the differential speed reaches 100 also at some point. Mostly though, from Brum to London it's tween 60 - 90.

The Planner

Veteran Member
They can get up to 100mph between Stechford and Coventry, no higher as they arent MU rated. The best it gets anywhere else is 90 between Leamington and Banbury.

67s are restricted when pulling less than 4 vehicles, unless they are Mk IIIs, due to brake power.

They are speed restricted to 110mph on the southern section of the ECML apart from certain bridges where its 100mph due to axle loading, 75mph on the Hertford loop.

Im fairly sure they are able to run at 125mph on the GWML. I cant find any reason why they cant do 110mph on the WCML where it allows.

driver9000

Established Member
Has anyone seen the new CS differential speed boards for class 67s, Ive seen it added to the Rulebook but have yet to see an actual board - I presume it would any really apply to a 67 hauling Mk3 or Mk4 coaching stock..... (sorry for going slightly off topic)

The Planner

Veteran Member
From what Ive heard, the CS boards are for when 67s would be subject to lower linespeeds than everything else, not higher.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They can get up to 100mph between Stechford and Coventry, no higher as they arent MU rated. The best it gets anywhere else is 90 between Leamington and Banbury.
When I did it, we crawled to the signal at Setchford. After a few seconds, a 321 also came to a halt along side and called at the station. It then set off (by which time, had we been given greens we'd have been so far clear that the 321 would have had the road anyway!), we waited and a Pendolino went in front. We then crawled to Birmingham International, where the 321 was held for several minutes to let the Pendolino in front, we then eventually followed the 321 again. This caused a signficant delay and meant the journey time was pretty poor! I can only assume Network Rail deliberately give priority against WSMR as there was no valid reason not to let us through at Stechford.

Ironic that on the fastest section we were going at the slowest speed of the journey!!

ukrob

Established Member
When I did it, we crawled to the signal at Setchford. After a few seconds, a 321 also came to a halt along side and called at the station. It then set off (by which time, had we been given greens we'd have been so far clear that the 321 would have had the road anyway!), we waited and a Pendolino went in front. We then crawled to Birmingham International, where the 321 was held for several minutes to let the Pendolino in front, we then eventually followed the 321 again. This caused a signficant delay and meant the journey time was pretty poor! I can only assume Network Rail deliberately give priority against WSMR as there was no valid reason not to let us through at Stechford.

Ironic that on the fastest section we were going at the slowest speed of the journey!!

That you know of.

TDK

Established Member

2) What is the max speed a Class 67 with four mk3 vehicles (3 plus DVT)? Is it less than the 125mph top speed due to weight or any other factors?

The maximum speed is 110mph and the only place WSMR will get that is on diversion between Crewe and Stafford. Other than that it is 100mph between Stechford and Coventry. On the ECML 67's are permitted at 125mph light engine.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
From what Ive heard, the CS boards are for when 67s would be subject to lower linespeeds than everything else, not higher.

You will find the 67 boards are for higher speeds than the base speed but lower than the HST/MU speeds.They are trying to enhance the speeds for the 67's but not for freight so need a dedicated 67 speed board.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

That was unfortunate.WSMR have a booked signal stop at Stechford with a usual departure time of xx.17. They then follow a pendo all the way to Coventry so therefore the driver will regulate the train to keep it moving. On the return trip WSMR 67's will get to 100mph from Coventry before Beechwood tunnel, that is the tunnel before Berkswell, this will occur on most trips however unless running late will be checked at International and pathed behind a LM stopper so creep to Stechford.

The Planner

Veteran Member
The maximum speed is 110mph and the only place WSMR will get that is on diversion between Crewe and Stafford. Other than that it is 100mph between Stechford and Coventry. On the ECML 67's are permitted at 125mph light engine.

Interesting to see if they do run at 110mph on diversion, as they are not timed to. They are timed at 100mph. Id be suprised if they got a fast line run anyway.

The rule book certainly says you can't do 125mph light engine either, light engines cant run at above 75mph.

Last edited:

TDK

Established Member
Interesting to see if they do run at 110mph on diversion, as they are not timed to. They are timed at 100mph. Id be suprised if they got a fast line run anyway.

The rule book certainly says you can't do 125mph light engine either, light engines cant run at above 75mph.

You will find that the class 67 on the ECML is permitted with a special dispensation to run at 125mph on certain sections. On diversion WSMR get fast line 90% of the time from Crewe to Stafford and Stafford to Crewe but run at 100mph as there is no point taking them to 110mph as you will only be signal checked if early however if they wanted they could run 110MPH.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Not as a light engine though. Ive yet to find any official documentation that says they can run at 125mph on the East Coast with a dispensation too. The sectional appendix shows nothing.

The Signalman

According to the current rule book locomotive hauled coaching stock trains are subjected to the following restrictions,

Any train with less than 7 vehicles formed of either/or MK1, MK2, MK3 sleepers & NPCCS (postal stock) hauled by one locomotive (except class 67),

or

Any train with less than 10 vehicles formed of either/or MK1, MK2, MK3 sleepers & NPCCS (postal stock) with 2 or more locomotives (except class 67),

are subjected to speed restrictions above 70 MPH and to an absolute maximum of 90 MPH depending on the prevailing line speed

Thats why VXC used to run loco + 7 MK2's as their standard formation in order to run at 95 MPH when hauled by a 47 or 100 MPH when hauled by an 86.

However as you can see if you train is formed of either a class 67 or MK3 day coaches - or both, you can run at whatever line speeds are as published in the sectional appendix.

Status
Not open for further replies.