• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC/Avanti advances for May

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Moderation
I've been asked by my brother's mother-in-law to look at how she can get the train from Cheltenham to Oxenholme in the first week of May, coming back a few days later. I get volunteered for such tasks in my family it seems!

Trying to book on the XC website gives zero availability, and trying an alternative of Euston to Oxenholme (she can get to my brother's and get the train from London instead if needed) just gives off-peak returns with no ability to reserve a seat. Looking at the Avanti website there is a link to check when seats are released for booking, but it just takes you back to the page you're already on, which is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard.

So, can any of our ticketing gurus advise what's going on? Roughly 3 weeks to go til travel date and no availability, it seems - does the railway want business or not?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
I've had a similar problem from EUS to MAN early May, it says the timetable has been unconfirmed although advances have been released (so to speak) to the last week of June. BTW: I've tried it for the first week of May too.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Euston's closed from 1st to 3rd May due to Engineering Work and timetables aren't expected to be published until this Wednesday.

It's unclear whether the opening of reservations will coincide with that or not.

On Moderation
Euston's closed from 1st to 3rd May due to Engineering Work and timetables aren't expected to be published until this Wednesday.

It's unclear whether the opening of reservations will coincide with that or not.
The dates I was looking at were after that: 6th or 7th.

Trackman

Established Member
The dates I was looking at were after that: 6th or 7th.
Just been looking at Twitter, someone has the asked the question about the 7th May. Apparently the timetable will be released tomorrow so the tickets should be on sale then.

On Moderation
Just been looking at Twitter, someone has the asked the question about the 7th May. Apparently the timetable will be released tomorrow so the tickets should be on sale then.
Thanks.

Likely too late, as the last email I had said she would probably drive instead. More business lost to the railway - the inability of the industry to understand its customers is just mind boggling. Frankly the railways deserve to go out of business.

Trackman

Established Member
Quick update, tried to buy tickets today- no joy.
Avanti have now said the timetables will be released on the 22nd April.
I should be OK, it's only an advance return ticket so I'll wait.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Likely too late, as the last email I had said she would probably drive instead. More business lost to the railway - the inability of the industry to understand its customers is just mind boggling. Frankly the railways deserve to go out of business.

It is somewhat bizarre isn't it? And not even that consistent! Over on this side of the country LNER are happily selling tickets up to Friday 3 September with a few weekends here and there not available (I think related to Kings Cross engineering works and/or Werrington) and TPE seem to be well into July (but with a warning to check closer to the time of travel as timetables aren't confirmed beyond 16 May which isn't ideal but at least they'll sell tickets!). So clearly it's possible and some TOCs are doing it!

Furrball

I was looking at Avanti last week for travel in May

Misleading messages in the booking engine ( no advance tickets available but flex fares were shown) but eventually transpires that all tickets are released next week

I could however book any ticket for mid June. Perfectly logical!

On Moderation
I was looking at Avanti last week for travel in May

Misleading messages in the booking engine ( no advance tickets available but flex fares were shown) but eventually transpires that all tickets are released next week

I could however book any ticket for mid June. Perfectly logical!
All perfectly logical on planet railway.

Back in the real world, the car doesn't have such issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.