XC catering at weekends

Discussion in 'Trip Planning & Reports' started by Ash Bridge, 12 May 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

Will be traveling by XC Trains on holiday in a couple of weeks or so, would anyone know if hot items are available for purchase from the trolley on Saturday services? Looking at the website it doesn't make it clear if it's just weekday services or including weekends. Outward train is the 08:07 Man Picc-Paignton as far as Exeter St. Davids, Thanks.

2. Jonfun

Jonfun Member

Subject to any unforeseen disasters (baking mishaps, cheese famine etc) or previous hungry customers, hot sandwiches should be available from Birmingham onwards.

3. Ash Bridge

Many thanks for that Jonfun :)

4. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Someone at a table in front of me on Monday had a bacon baguette ordered, it smelt heavenly! Think they have a meal deal on at the moment, hot drink and a baguette for £5. Certainly that's what it sounded like over my earphones.

If it smelt good it must be good!

5. Ash Bridge

Heavenly smells on a Voyager, Wow, that makes a change on here! :D

6. Techniquest

Techniquest Veteran Member

Yeah I know, no sterotypical gut-wrenching stink on 220002 or 220029 on Monday! :shock:

7. Chrism20

Chrism20 Member

They have been doing a pre-order trial on the Edinburgh - Plymouth route for a while now, its actually quite good as you can pick what time you want it. All you need to do is enter your booking reference and seat number and they will bring the order to you at the time requested.

It's a good idea as it means you don't run the risk of them running out of stuff

8. Ash Bridge

Onboard 220030 at the moment traveling from Exeter to Stockport, just had a cheese & onion panini, it also smelt heavenly and tasted even better, was also told by the steward that XC are shortly going to trial full cooked plated breakfasts and Sunday type lunches in FC for around £7-8 inc. a bottle of wine with the lunch, sounds very interesting, the service onboard this train today has been excellent!

Attached Files:

9. Mike99

Mike99 Member

That looks good, is that available in standard or first class?

10. Ash Bridge

We're in 1st on this journey but the same items plus cheeseburgers, bacon baguettes etc. are available from the trolley in standard.

11. voyagerdude220

voyagerdude220 Established Member

I was on a XC HST last week in First Class and the First Class Host placed menus advertising meat breakfast/vegi breakfast and also chicken, salmon and a vegetarian dish (possibly aubergine, can't quite remember), as you say, breakfast £7, can't remember the all day food prices but remember there being a £10 meal deal with the hot meal and wine for £10.

Edit: I forgot to ask whether anyone knows what cooking facilities the HSTs have, as I'm certain XC 220/221s only have microwaves, unlike VT 221s which have some sort of small grill/oven thing located within the First Class galley area.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2015
  12. Jonfun

Jonfun Member

HSTs have broadly the same cooking facilities as Voyagers, two combination oven/grill/microwave units. Different models but same type of thing. Don't know how that compares to VT units.

Hot meals trial is ongoing, there's about 4 or 5 trains if I recall correctly that it's being done on, all on the South West/North East route. Hot sandwiches (bacon baguettes from mid morning and cheeseburger/panini for the rest of the day) are on pretty much all mainline routes all the time now, including weekends.

13. voyagerdude220

voyagerdude220 Established Member

Thanks for the information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.