• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC catering observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrh2254

I was on an XC train and in 1st class. I saw what was clearly 1 XC off duty staff go and make drinks for themselves (and one of their children), taking them back to their seat trying to avoid the gaze of other paying passengers.

There was what looked like one XC staff member still in the area where they keep the drinks / snacks so I went up and said could I have a couple of diet cokes. He replied, I cant do that as if other passengers see you with these then everyone will come and ask for them - you have to wait until the trolley person comes back and then she will attend to you. He then added he had already been told off for this.

But I said that another XC off duty person had helped themselves (and also made him a drink) and so he had already broken his own rule already. I said , is that a staff perk, to which he said yes, and then said that if he was a policeman he would not have a speeding ticket (I think he was just doing this as a joke). The conversation was all very jovial, but clearly a little embarrassed about the conversation.

So I returned to my seat and waited for the trolley person , who arrived about 30 mins after I got on the train.

Is this normal XC policy for off duty staff?

Do they not realise that paying passengers have eyes!

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Do they not realise that paying passengers have eyes!

Some staff are not really aware of the privileged position they find themselves in sometimes and sadly take it for granted. Never know who might be on your train!

Starmill

Veteran Member
CrossCountry frequently seem to have a problem in that:

- They don't provide a First Class host, either as scheduled or even at the times they're scheduled to
- The retail host is then either trapped at the opposite end of the train or busy selling refreshments to passengers in Standard

This seems to result in no complimentary service in First Class on many occasions.

I think this is the real crux of your complaint. If you had a First Class ticket and didn't receive any complimentary service at all, you might complain to CrossCountry customer relations.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Complimentary items should have been made available to all applicable passengers not just off duty staff.

I've been on trains without a first class host where other staff have still provided something.

DDB

I've had a similar poor experience where I've been on a train which is supposed to have had the enhanced hot food first class menu and there have been staff possibly off duty sat in the "kitchen" area at the end of first class and they haven't appeared in the cabin. When the guard arrived I asked about food and they said they would have to check with the host stuck at the far end of the train with the trolley as they (the guard) didn't know the passenger entitlement and called them on the internal comms system and I eventually got some cold food. It was very poor so I will be going back to LNER

an7li721

I went on 2 XC first class services with supposedly the hot food menu. On one the staff knew nothing about it and the other offered a hot bacon roll only. Although both had sandwiches available and drinks services. But would avoid going on too long a journey with them given that offering.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On a recent journey I made, there were no reservations and staff made no mention of this. There was a First Class host but they had no sandwiches or any other proper food. Passengers near me said they had gone all the way from Exeter (to Darlington) and no food had been available (other than biscuits and crisps) for the entire journey. Another couple (who boarded at Derby) were changing at Edinburgh and realised they had several hours to go without food. There was no mention of the lack of reservations or food on any screens. Wakefield was announced as "Leeds" (I informed people who wanted Leeds that it was NOT Leeds) with no correction.

Am I surprised? This is CrossCountry so no, I am not. It is in line with what I have come to expect from XC.

On another journey, there was no 1st class host but the Train Manager did ensure everyone got something, which was really good, though of course the range was extremely limited (just biscuits/crisps, and this was a weekday). Top marks to the TM for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.