• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC SW-NE double voyagers - why 9 or 10 coaches?

Grecian 1998

XC still run a few double Voyagers on the SW - NE axis which seem to be spread out through the day. This is very useful if you're a leisure traveller like me - you can look at the formation on RTT (not guaranteed but pretty accurate) and plan your day accordingly.

However I have noticed that it isn't uncommon for a service one hour to be 9 coaches and the next 4 coaches e.g. on 3 February the 0954 southbound from Bristol was 9 coaches whereas the 1054 southbound was 4 coaches. As Exeter v Bristol Rovers was on that day, and the service was thinned out due to engineering works, I made sure to catch the earlier service.

Logically it would seem to make far more sense to try to run 8 and 5 than 9 and 4. Is there a particular reason this is done? I appreciate there may be multiple operational reasons involved in terms of where the sets started and where they need to end up, but I'd assume there would be some benefit in trying to run 8 and 5 where possible.

Last week I travelled on a 10 coach set on the 0727 Plymouth - Edinburgh between Bristol and Birmingham on 10 February. The last coach was locked out of service due to the length of the train. It was a FC coach, which obviously is less likely to suffer from overcrowding, but it did seem a bit odd. That said, I can't remember seeing any other 10 coach formations and I assume XC certainly try to avoid these given the hassle of locking coaches out of use.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
I think 10 car's are largely avoided where possible but I does happen. The 220/221s seem to be largely worked like one fleet but they will have set diagrams. Take 1S51 (1227 ex Plymouth) for example it is normally a 8 car but this week it has also been a 9 car and 1 day just a 4 car showed up. In some cases the double sets also split during the day which may also have some effect on the diagrams along with balancing the fleet at the end of the day ie same number of 5 cars end at the depot in the evening as started in the morning.