• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC trainee drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://internaljobs.deutschebahngroup.careers/internaljobs/JobDetail/Trainee-Train-Driver/34149

Internal only sadly. Last time they had trainees was about 15 years ago. XC Brum has been short of drivers for ages due to other local TOCs salaries and Ts and Cs catching up and (allegedly) a rather fearsome head of drivers. The latest extention to the franchise has meant they have had to take this step it would seem.

This is likely to provoke a Wonka style scramble for the golden tickets, but rumours already abound that folk based at head office will get the nod and the ranks of guards and caterers will be largely ignored.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trainguy90

This is interesting, I did notice they’d been advertising for qualifieds at brum and Leicester, I always thought they were a magnet for qualified drivers and wouldn’t of had any issues in recruiting from the outside.
Only other thing I can think is that they’re trying to create an internal path of progression maybe

tiptoptaff

Established Member
This is interesting, I did notice they’d been advertising for qualifieds at brum and Leicester, I always thought they were a magnet for qualified drivers and wouldn’t of had any issues in recruiting from the outside.
Only other thing I can think is that they’re trying to create an internal path of progression maybe
Possibly - it's widely known their guard retention is poor because they've had to go away to get their driver jobs

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Maybe qualified drivers are realising that what XC offer in salary isn’t matched in more important terms of service, so flood as turned to a trickle?

I would have thought every guard, caterer and other bod will be falling over themselves to apply for the magical 8 jobs, but obviously a chosen few will assure them - probably already been chosen cyicnal mode engaged.

KT530

That’s after 2 years with routes and traction, so typically 2 years and 9 months before you get full salary.

That’s certainly a large consideration for many qualifieds applying from elsewhere.

That’s after 2 years with routes and traction, so typically 2 years and 9 months before you get full salary.

That’s certainly a large consideration for many qualifieds applying from elsewhere.

Think there's at least another year on 80% as well.

HLE

Established Member
XC is a better salary than WMT but most would say has worse T's and C's. New Street bottom link used to and probably still is 170 only and routes being Cardiff and Stansted. Stansted is over 3 hours in the seat which does put some other TOC drivers off.

A few ex XC guards have ended up at WMT as trainees recently.

One wonders if the internal only trainees will be short term, with longer term focus placed on externals.

bionic

T&Cs is a huge consideration. You've got companies like XC and Virgin where the pay looks good and the work looks appealing, but when you actually look into their conditions you realise the union sold everything to get that money and the conditions are far worse than at some other TOCs.

It's telling that XC are looking for trainees because you would have thought if it was that good they'd have no problem filling the vacancies with qualified drivers.

Established Member
XC is a better salary than WMT but most would say has worse T's and C's. New Street bottom link used to and probably still is 170 only and routes being Cardiff and Stansted. Stansted is over 3 hours in the seat which does put some other TOC drivers off.

A few ex XC guards have ended up at WMT as trainees recently.

One wonders if the internal only trainees will be short term, with longer term focus placed on externals.
The chances of external trainee driver roles at XC is slim to none.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Weren’t/aren’t XC very picky over their qualified drivers candidates, maybe people can’t be bothered to be ripped apart for a few quid extra ?

class 9

I think XC have problems getting qualified Drivers at Brum due to the fact that once a new franchise eventually gets awarded, there's been all sorts of rumours about the ex central trains 170 routes going to WMT, so people are reluctant to make the move in case they end up back there under TUPE

Status
Not open for further replies.