• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Phone Signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goatboy

Established Member
Hi all,

Just got off a Voyager after a particularly long journey. Two things were noteworthy, the first is that I appear to have had a decent 3G Signal for almost the entire journey, which itself is unusual. The second is that Google Maps on my device was convinced I was at Reading Station for the whole trip.

Have XC begun fitting signal repeaters to the Voyager fleet?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
Hi all,

Just got off a Voyager after a particularly long journey. Two things were noteworthy, the first is that I appear to have had a decent 3G Signal for almost the entire journey, which itself is unusual. The second is that Google Maps on my device was convinced I was at Reading Station for the whole trip.

Have XC begun fitting signal repeaters to the Voyager fleet?
Are you with EE? IIRC they do have some form of repeater there. I might be wrong.

Reading thing could well be WiFi triangulation rather than cell tower, assuming you weren't on GPS. Just happens that the google street view van last spotted that AP on a Voyager at Reading ;)

Could be both of course.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
With, which is bizarre as you'd think it would over-rule any location data from the Cell tower.

As soon as I stepped off the train the location was correct again.

dvboy

Established Member
IIRC XC have EE repeaters on board.

If you're on a train, your phone won't pick up GPS unless you're right by the window and facing the right direction for the satellite. It's the same reason sat nav doesn't know where you are if you're indoors.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Established Member
I am with EE, yes.

Is this a new thing? I travel this route monthly and I can't say I'd noticed such excellent signal before. Infact I was on another Voyager on Friday and had no such location issues with my phone :p

1e10

I'm with Three and get a strong signal but no 3G connection.

Eagle

Established Member
If you're on a train, your phone won't pick up GPS unless you're right by the window and facing the right direction for the satellite. It's the same reason sat nav doesn't know where you are if you're indoors.

I've not found that to be the case on Voyagers; I usually get a good GPS throughout the train. Of course with no data signal Google Maps shows me as being in the middle of a field of grey squares. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.