• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Voyager Refurbishment

Energy

Established Member
1705539685682.png
In Modern Railways January 2024. Beacon Rail have gone out to tender for XC Voyager refurbishment with 3 companies interested in the work (Alstom probably one of them).

Also mentions Beacon Rail considering batteries for the voyagers but ruled out on cost.

Not much other detail, but some good news nonetheless. The tender isn't public AFAIK, doesn't need to be as its run by a private company.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Milo T.K

doubt battery conversions are on the table with other trains that were converted and unreliable etc even with high costs included

Last edited:

800Travel

Glad to hear this - XC voyagers are so outdated and dirty compared to TPE and LNER 80xs. Anyone know of any timeframe for the refurbed units to start going into service? I imagine next year at the earliest?

Energy

Established Member
Glad to hear this - XC voyagers are so outdated and dirty compared to TPE and LNER 80xs. Anyone know of any timeframe for the refurbed units to start going into service? I imagine next year at the earliest?
Contract expected to be awarded early 2024, so at a guess Autumn 2024 for the first unit. It was about 8 months for the Pendolino from first unit going in to first unit leaving (they got it much quicker afterwards), voyagers are half the length so a lot less.
doubt battery conversions are on the table with other trains that were converted and unreliable etc
Cost supposedly.

Milo T.K

Anyone know of any timeframe for the refurbed units to start going into service? I imagine next year at the earliest?
at the start probably 6 or more months for the pilot unit refurbs then every 2 weeks a unit i imagine

Travelmonkey

How long did the avanti voyagers take, they went to Barking if I recall right, they are certainly much better post their refurb too.

tomoufc

I was thinking this might wait until the ex-Avanti units join the fleet, otherwise there would be temporary reductions in an already ridiculously overstretched fleet. Does anyone know how the timing would fit with the cascade?

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Cannot imagine it will take merely as long as the 390 even for the initial unit as I understand the specification is more of a refresh then a heavy refurb
Structural work will be done too of course, in that the shops will be almost definitely removed and a new WC fitted in place.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The XC ones didn't add a bog in the shop space. It was turned into a luggage and cycle area.
How does what they fit in its place change what I’m saying though? The point is they still have to remove the shop and that won’t be the quickest of things.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
There's no shop to rip out of the existing XC Voyagers though...
The shop was removed 16 years ago.
Oh come on now, do you really think I don’t know that ;) There is of the seven Avanti Voyagers that will also get the refurbishment, unless you propose they’ll be permanently kept in the Avanti colour scheme, off brand leather in first, and with the shop in place - making the whole refurbishment which in part is to get the Voyagers interior consistent and on-brand (rather than a dirty version of Virgin Trains’) rather pointless.

Lewisham2221

Established Member
Oh come on now, do you really think I don’t know that ;) There is of the seven Avanti Voyagers that will also get the refurbishment, unless you propose they’ll be permanently kept in the Avanti colour scheme, off brand leather in first, and with the shop in place - making the whole refurbishment which in part is to get the Voyagers interior consistent and on-brand (rather than a dirty version of Virgin Trains’) rather pointless.
Your post implied that major structural work would be required for the whole fleet, whereas the post you were replying to was clearly referring to the existing fleet.

class397tpe

Hopefully they replace the seats with the ones they fitted in the pendolino refurbishment, they’ve been transformative in terms of interior space. But “refresh” sounds like that’s unlikely :(

Anonymous10

Established Member
Hopefully they replace the seats with the ones they fitted in the pendolino refurbishment, they’ve been transformative in terms of interior space. But “refresh” sounds like that’s unlikely :(
Personally I wouldn't be opposed to that class 197s seats either they're actually not bad.

Lewisham2221

Established Member

Personally I wouldn't be opposed to that class 197s seats either they're actually not bad.

I'd actually quite happily keep the existing seats, reupholstered of course.

class397tpe

I'd actually quite happily keep the existing seats, reupholstered of course.
Granted, the current seats are comfy, but so space inefficient with how thick they are! I’d love a bit more legroom, and you can forget about using a laptop with the current seats…

I wonder if this refurb will include the speculated rebrand of XC that was discussed a few months ago… nothing seems to have come of that.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Granted, the current seats are comfy, but so space inefficient with how thick they are! I’d love a bit more legroom, and you can forget about using a laptop with the current seats…

I wonder if this refurb will include the speculated rebrand of XC that was discussed a few months ago… nothing seems to have come of that.
Back on June 29th (my 20th ;)), @BHXDMT said:

Staff had a Teams presentation on the new branding, livery and interiors last week.
(It’s a closed thread so not possible to do the usual proper quote format)

And then no one ever elaborated further sadly :(

GoneSouth

How does what they fit in its place change what I’m saying though? The point is they still have to remove the shop and that won’t be the quickest of things.
Screwdriver, saw, hammer, no more shop. It won’t take long!

The luggage space was much needed when they removed the shop on the XC ones, but it often ends up full of passengers who have nowhere else to sit instead of luggage. And, we’re all told constantly to keep an eye on our luggage at all times which is impossible if you leave it in the former shop luggage rack

mpthomson

Even if it was still there, which it isn't, a couple of hours at most.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I will submit a tender: push them in the sea and replace with nice trains.

They need a full strip back, redecorating, new carpets, new lights, new seats, better alignment and throwing in the sea ;)

being serious it DOES need doing. They are in a very tatty state. SOME of the issues with the voyager could be fixed by installing a decent quality interior.

The point is they still have to remove the shop and that won’t be the quickest of things.
it wont be a difficult job. It might take a few hours.