• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

XC Class 170 refurbishment

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TheBigD

Established Member
Are there any mock ups for the 170s?

The Modern Railways article states that for the 170s, first class will be 2+2 abreast and increased from 9 to 11 seats. 5 standard seats will be removed and replaced with 3 tip up seats in a new multipurpose area for bikes etc.

Maybe this thread could be split and a new one created for the 170s.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Would someone be able to do me the favour of adding the exterior shots of the 170s please?

I’ve split the thread but we could with them for a bit of context.

bnsf734

The Modern Railways article does not mention whether any power sockets or USB ports are being fitted to the Class 170's, although a render of a second class table bay does show table mounted 3 pin sockets so I am hopeful they are included.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
The Modern Railways article does not mention whether any power sockets or USB ports are being fitted to the Class 170's, although a render of a second class table bay does show table mounted 3 pin sockets so I am hopeful they are included.
I’d be gobsmacked if the refurbishment didn’t land them with charging points these days. Utterly gobsmacked.

superalbs

Established Member
I’d be gobsmacked if the refurbishment didn’t land them with charging points these days. Utterly gobsmacked.
Yet here we are on SWR, with the 159s still yet to be fitted with any power except First Class. Despite a recent refurbishment. Can't rule it out...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yet here we are on SWR, with the 159s still yet to be fitted with any power except First Class. Despite a recent refurbishment. Can't rule it out...
Hardly a refurbishment, they put some seat covers on the standard class seats. There's not even that in first.

Snow1964

Established Member
This is in the consultation to not make them fully PRM (persons of reduced mobility) compliant. Covers both XC and East Midlands 170s

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/1, 170/3, 170/5 and 170/6​

• new seats and tables throughout, retaining existing layouts
  • new PIS including:
    • LCD screens
    • call for aid (CfA)
    • passenger emergency alarm (PEA)

Scope of the refurbishment, Class 170/2​

• new seats and tables in the existing first-class areas, are to be declassified to a standard class area
  • new seats in the wheelchair area next to the universal access toilet (UAT)
  • no change to all other existing seats with foams and moquettes renewed only
  • new PIS including LCD screens, CfA, and PEA
The level of compliance achieved with the requirements of the PRM NTSN can be summarised for the refurbishment scope as follows:

• 90 requirements to achieve compliance achieved
  • 118 requirements not applicable
  • 2 requirements for dispensation
This summary clearly shows Porterbrook’s commitment to the betterment of the Class 170 fleet, with 90 of 92 applicable clauses meeting compliance in full.

TheBigD

Established Member
The mockup photos for the XC 170s from the Modern railways article...

Attachments

• 20240426_221804.jpg
    20240426_221804.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 295

RealTrains07

Established Member
iam surprised first class is not being removed entirely on the xc 170s as it seems a bit pointless now the seats are changing to 2+2 with the exact same seats as standard

Mugby

Established Member
I have no problem with the existing seats in XC 170s they're comfortable enough, the headrests are very good, so are the arm rests.

If the Modern Railways mock up is an accurate representation, the replacement seats look pretty horrible, the arm rests look very cheap and nasty!

ge-gn

I wasted some money today upgrading to first on a 170. Same seats as standard albeiit in 2+1 layout and reclining option that didnt work. And fellow passengers who had also seatfrogged and won’t bother again. It isn’t an Intercity (it’s a long distance regional service so what’s the point in 1st. There was a trolley service on board, but that concentrated on standard passengers and didn’t bother with 1st class at all! But that’s for another thread!

They are rank though and need urgent refurb.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
It isn’t an Intercity (it’s a long distance regional service so what’s the point in 1st.
I have to say I do find it funny that you think this and yet pay for it yourself… :lol: or were you expecting a Voyager to show?

aar0

I have no problem with the existing seats in XC 170s they're comfortable enough, the headrests are very good, so are the arm rests.
They’ve got awful legroom, I try my best to avoid XC 170s as at 6’6” I basically have to stand

Balders

Seen pictures today of the 170 proposal........the chargers appear to be in a block bolted to the central underside in the middle of the tables. I guess this is to make them robust and easily accessible (as opposed to between the seats which is a bit fiddly). Not sure how that's going to affect leg room when you're trying to slide in and out as in smacking your knee on them. But it's a mock up and things change. Wall mounted seems the better option but it's just how much work that entails.

Cheers

Guy

anthony263

Established Member
I travelled on one of the Cardiff to Nottingham services Friday morning. The conductor apologised for lack of charging sockets and said there wouldn't be until after cross country complete their refurbishment

Kite159

Veteran Member
2+2 seating in First Class, will make it less appealing and will be a bit like first class on Southern or Great Northern.

Hopefully they might do something with the awful legroom on the /1 subclass.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
2+2 seating in First Class, will make it less appealing and will be a bit like first class on Southern or Great Northern.

Hopefully they might do something with the awful legroom on the /1 subclass.
Is it worse on the /1s than the /6s? I can’t say I’d noticed.
The Lazarini seats are thick though so hopefully installing the FISAs will help.

Snow1964

Established Member
Seems XC have extended the outsourced maintenance of its 170s to 2031 with West Midlands trains at Tyseley

West Midlands Trains (WMT) has signed a new long-term maintenance contract with CrossCountry to continue maintaining the long-distance operator’s Class 170 fleet at WMT’s Tyseley depot in Birmingham.

The contract, which started this month, secures jobs in the region through to 2031 and reaffirms the partnership between the two train operating companies. It will see WMT continue to maintain, service and clean the Class 170 fleet.

John Doughty, Engineering Director at West Midlands Trains, said:

“Servicing, maintaining and cleaning the Class 170 fleet has been, and continues to be, an important part of Tyseley depot’s workload and we are delighted to have signed this new contract with CrossCountry.

"The Class 170 fleet provides services connecting regions running from Cardiff and Gloucester in the west through Birmingham to Derby, Leicester and Nottingham in the East Midlands and onwards to Peterborough, Cambridge and Stansted Airport in the east.

“The fleet shares many synergies with West Midlands Trains’ own class 172 fleet and the contract ties in perfectly with our commitment to investing in new infrastructure at depots.”

Adrian Hugill, CrossCountry’s Fleet & Engineering Director, said:

“It’s fantastic to announce our renewed contract with West Midlands Trains who have looked after our regional Class 170 fleet so carefully for many years already. With Tyseley so close to the hub of the CrossCountry network in Birmingham, not only does this decision make perfect operational sense, but it’s important for us to support the communities and economies in Tyseley and wider Birmingham with many more years of planned work for the West Midlands Trains depot.”

As part of infrastructure investments, in addition to a completed new stores building and an already improved fuelling and servicing facility, Tyseley depot is undergoing major upgrades.

The work includes the installation of four new high level mobile gantries and hoists, a synchronous lift facility to lift a full length unit, a package of environmental improvements including shore supplies to reduce diesel engine running, extensions to two of the maintenance buildings and the introduction of an Automatic Vehicle Inspection System (AVIS).

Russel

Seems XC have extended the outsourced maintenance of its 170s to 2031 with West Midlands trains at Tyseley

Seems a sensible option, keeping the maintenance at the depot that's been doing it for the last 20 years.