• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yank Needs Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fluffy Kitten

Hi all,

First time poster. I'm a railfan from the states who's done a fair bit of international rail travel. However, I'm a bit perplexed with UK rail travel, which is odd, as I assumed traveling by rail would be easier than al the other countries I have been to. I sorta have a few questions, so please bare with me if they seem over-simplistic.

I'm traveling in May-June to visit a few friends and couch surfing, but plan to use a 3-Day Flex-pass England Pass. For the first day, I'll be the first day I need the pass, I'll be going form London to Hartlepool, then on the last day--the night before my flight, I'll take the train from Nelson, Lancashire to Hatton Cross, as my AirBNB is next to the station (plus I want to get some time planespotting in). So, I do have a couple of general questions.
  1. Are reservations needed in advance of travel between London and Hartlepool, and from Nelson to Harron Cross?
  2. Nelson's ticket office opens about an hour after I need to catch the train for my departure day, and I'll be traveling on a railpass? I know when I go to Asia, local trains do not require a ticket, just the pass, while HSR trains do; but I know the UK is a whole different beast and suspect it is similar to Amtrak's, all trains need a ticket. (I know the pass in not valid on the Underground between Preston and Hatton Cross).
  3. From what I've read, it sounds like a lot of UK stations are unnamed (as I learned in Ireland a decade ago). What is the process if there are no TVMs available if there is no station agent on duty?
I'll likely have a few other questions as well. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
  1. Are reservations needed in advance of travel between London and Hartlepool, and from Nelson to Harron Cross?
  2. Nelson's ticket office opens about an hour after I need to catch the train for my departure day, and I'll be traveling on a railpass? I know when I go to Asia, local trains do not require a ticket, just the pass, while HSR trains do; but I know the UK is a whole different beast and suspect it is similar to Amtrak's, all trains need a ticket. (I know the pass in not valid on the Underground between Preston and Hatton Cross).
  3. From what I've read, it sounds like a lot of UK stations are unnamed (as I learned in Ireland a decade ago). What is the process if there are no TVMs available if there is no station agent on duty?
I'll likely have a few other questions as well. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

First thing, you might want to edit your thread title, as while you probably didn't mean it the second word is quite vulgar.

In reply to your questions, however:

1. No, the only UK trains on which reservations are mandatory are the Caledonian Sleepers. You may however wish to reserve on the long distance trains as the trains could be busy, you can do this at any staffed ticket office up to some point before departure which varies by train but if you did it the day before you would be pretty safe.

2. As long as you have collected your pass you do not need anything additional and can just board the train you wish.

3. If needing to purchase a ticket, which doesn't apply to your situation, and there is no way to purchase one before you board the train (ticket office or TVM), you can do so on board.

Fluffy Kitten

Thanks, Bletchleyite

Hmmm... the edit won't let me change the topic name. Odd, I hadn't realized wanker was vulgar, in the states it just means an idiot.

I think maybe just to be safe then, I'll just make a reservation on the day I pick up my railpass. I only need two days of travel, but the three day pass was still cheaper than the two segments separately, plus if for some reason my ride from Hattlepool to Nelson doesn't happen I have that segment covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.