• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yank Trying to Weave His Way From London to Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

randyrippley

Established Member
Hardknott pass could be a surprise to a driver unfamiliar with the area.
Not forgetting it's partner, Wrynose Pass.

Both best avoided if you're not used to cars with manual gearboxes.
Extended single track roads with multiple hairpin bends, 35% gradients and a long way to fall if you misjudge the edge

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The exile

Established Member
Another recommendation for spending a little longer at Kings Cross / St Pancras. It's a beautiful station, one of my favourites.
Far be it from me to be pedantic(!), but unless you’re referring to the Underground station, it’s not a beautiful station - it’s two beautiful stations next door to one another!

steamybrian

Established Member
Australia drives on the left too, you know ;)
Yes- I know.
Australia have wide roads and not so much traffic except in some cities.
I am trying to illustrate that driving in the UK is so different to the US. I have heard this many, many times from Americans who drive in Britain for the first time.
Living in Kent I have seen many near accidents of foreigners trying to drive on the right, ignoring red lights and ignoring road signs which they do not understand.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
.... The best option, once you know what trains you want to take, is to go directly to the operating company website and book directly there. (aApologies if this is what you are doing.)
Or book through the forum's site, whch can be cheaper than from TOC sites.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hello,

Been having a terrible time with the whole train 'buying tickets' process and am hoping to receive some valuable information on here.

I will be visiting the UK from the U.S. this summer and would like to go from London St Pancras International to Liverpool Lime Street.

When I attempt to buy a ticket on Nationalrail.com it tells me Avanti is the line I should use. Then when I attempt to purchase a ticket on Avanti i get a pop-up saying 'Oops...something is wrong', though what it is I haven't a clue. I have tried changing the dates and I get the same results. It appears that they want me to figure it out instead of telling me.

Is this particular for me (e.g. I am trying to buy tix from the States) or are they having substantial problems with their ticket-buying process? I have read many negative reviews about Avanti and have tried Chiltern and LNWR but their price/performance ratio is not as good. Thoughts? TIA.
Further to the good advice already given you may want to consider booking 'Standard Premium' on Avanti West Coast - this is basically a 1st class carriage but without the free meal/drinks included (and is much cheaper than 1st class usually that does include meals) - you can pre book this and get a seat reservation, or you can book standard class and take an unreserved seat when on the train in the 'standard premium carriage' and pay the staff when they come round (I think it's a fixed price supplement probably £20 to £25) - it's probably worth it as you get a more spacious seat (UK seats in std class are not very generously sized) and most seats better alignment with windows if you want to enjoy views.

This might be helpful too - all you need to know and more (not a specific entry for London to Liverpool but search the page for the word Liverpool and you will see info as well as interior pics of the type of trains used - Pendolino train)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes, I've just watched a video of it. It certainly is not the most relaxing drive.

It's absolutely amazing. Love it.

However, what isn't good is when satnavs send people that way unexpectedly and they get stuck. Though they mostly don't because it is so slow - going round the bottom is mostly quicker, it can be quite hard to force Waze to go that way unless you're headed for somewhere part way across.

Status
Not open for further replies.