• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Year 10 Work Experience Exeter

I know someone in Year 10 who wants to do their work experience at Exeter TMD. Would anyone know any information regarding how they would apply to or contact the depot?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Stuart-h

No harm in makeing a phone call to great westeren and asking them the question.

james_the_xv

No harm in asking, but be prepared for the answer to be a no just on age. Perhaps have more luck with a heritage railway if that's the route they want to go down?

No harm in asking, but be prepared for the answer to be a no just on age. Perhaps have more luck with a heritage railway if that's the route they want to go down?
The person I'm asking for has got a friend who has secured a place there.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
The person I'm asking for has got a friend who has secured a place there.
Then without meaning to come off abrasive, perhaps they should ask their friend how they secured their place

ANDREW_D_WEBB

Best way would be to find out from the friend who they spoke to at the depot and get in touch. These sorts of placements are often only available because of the enthusiasm of one individual within the organisation. Be prepared to pass on any paperwork provided by the school to the employer. The school should be checking (either directly or via their appointed contractor) that there is employer liability insurance in place, that the placement is suitable (assessed by someone with an IOSH qualification) and that a job description is provided. The health and safety check should not just be a teacher popping in or making a phone call!

I have placed students at railway depots before (in the London area) so age does not need to be a barrier in Year 10.

Best way would be to find out from the friend who they spoke to at the depot and get in touch. These sorts of placements are often only available because of the enthusiasm of one individual within the organisation. Be prepared to pass on any paperwork provided by the school to the employer. The school should be checking (either directly or via their appointed contractor) that there is employer liability insurance in place, that the placement is suitable (assessed by someone with an IOSH qualification) and that a job description is provided. The health and safety check should not just be a teacher popping in or making a phone call!

I have placed students at railway depots before (in the London area) so age does not need to be a barrier in Year 10.
Thank you, that is helpful

43303_43058

I’m trying to get work experience (Y10 also) based in Bristol. Would a placement likely be at a depot or a station? Also what number is best to contact

I’m trying to get work experience (Y10 also) based in Bristol. Would a placement likely be at a depot or a station? Also what number is best to contact
This person went to the depot and asked for a position. I believe they got it last time I heard. I would suggest going to them with a covering letter and CV.

DanNCL

Established Member
I did Y10 work experience with Northern. To get it I spoke to my school’s careers advisor and basically just asked if she’d be able to find me anything on the railway, a couple of weeks later she came back to me with an offer of work experience with Northern, needless to say I took it up!
That was almost 10 years ago now so things might have changed since then. But if your school has a careers advisor (most do) it’s definitely worth having a chat with them about it.

As for where the placement would be it varies. Some are at a depot, some at stations, some in an office, and some will see you somewhere different each day!

In the Bristol area your main option is GWR which is all of the stations as well as St Philips Marsh depot. There’s also Hitachi who run Stoke Gifford depot.