• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow Ends on BILs and HALs

Status
Not open for further replies.

wimbledonpete

Hi

Now that we have RTR models of both 2-BILs and 2-HALs, can anyone confirm whether or not it would have been possible, sometime in the 60s, to see a green unit with no yellow panel at the same time as a blue unit with full yellow ends? Would they have overlapped at all or would all of the greens have received small yellow panels before blue came in?

Thank you!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bigdelboy

I am reasonable certain from my flawed memory small yellow warning panels were in well before any blue painting.

I would even question if all ends were not complete yellow before blue painting began .... but I am far far far less certain on this point ... especially as small yellow panels were certainly extant in 1966.

unlike general repainting yellow panels are safety related. I suspect they may have been may have been prioritised even in those days before a repaint would have been otherwise required.

wimbledonpete

I am reasonable certain from my flawed memory small yellow warning panels were in well before any blue painting.

I would even question if all ends were not complete yellow before blue painting began .... but I am far far far less certain on this point ... especially as small yellow panels were certainly extant in 1966.

unlike general repainting yellow panels are safety related. I suspect they may have been may have been prioritised even in those days before a repaint would have been otherwise required.

Thank you - I think you're probably right on the first point but I just wondered if it was possible that not all of the units got done! But on your second point, blue came in just as full yellow ends were becoming general but some of the earliest blue liveries had a small yellow panel. (eg the earliest VEPs and the REPs and TCs). Some early blue SUBs, EPBs etc had small yellow panels.

Status
Not open for further replies.