• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Yellow-fronted trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
On a similar note and slightly off topic, why do trains have a thin orange stripe at the top of the TOC livery?

I noticed this years ago on the SPT livery's but assumed that it was just a line that was used to mask off an area for the Carmine and cream, however on a recent trip to Glasgow central Scottm and myself noticed it was on the Pendolinos as well.
It's the cantrail stripe to indicate the point at which you shouldn't go above when under overhead wires. I think almost every train has it [1] even if it's a DMU or 3rd rail EMU as it can still operate under overhead wires.

[1] The one exception I can think of is the ex-Tube stock on the Island Line, but I'm sure there was another train I've seen without it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The_Stig

It's the cantrail stripe to indicate the point at which you shouldn't go above when working under overhead wires.

Ah, cheers.

What colour was it when the good old Orange was in use then? :?

O L Leigh

Established Member
A smaller yellow warning panel was tried on the Cl150/2's when they were brand new. The first few had IC Exec light grey cab fronts with just the gangway door painted yellow. The idea was quickly abandoned and full yellow ends returned.

I have to say that I also think abandoning yellow ends is a bad idea. The whole purpose of them is as a safety aid rather than an aesthetic adornment. I don't care if they look rubbish as long as they save lives. Having them means that there is a failsafe option in the event of a bulb failure or some other problem affecting the cab lights. This should be a safety decision.

O L Leigh

Oswyntail

Established Member
... The whole purpose of them is as a safety aid rather than an aesthetic adornment. ...
Totally agree. And, if the companies are complaining because of the aesthetics, they should build their livery around the safety requirements, rather than vice versa. Though, IMHO, there are few liveries in which the yellow end does not fit quite nicely

mallard

Established Member
It's the cantrail stripe to indicate the point at which you shouldn't go above when under overhead wires. I think almost every train has it [1] even if it's a DMU or 3rd rail EMU as it can still operate under overhead wires.

[1] The one exception I can think of is the ex-Tube stock on the Island Line, but I'm sure there was another train I've seen without it.

Well the Cl483's wouldn't need it, since they don't operate under wires and they're probably short enough that the line would be above their roofs anyway.

Back on yellow ends, why are they required on the Island Line, when they never were on the Waterloo and City? I heard it's because the W&C is self-contained that they don't need them, but so is the Island Line, to a greater degree since pre-1994 the main line was only a lift ride away from the W&C and at least the Cl487's were known to occasionally operate on the surface (non-passenger obviously).

Established Member
Back on yellow ends, why are they required on the Island Line, when they never were on the Waterloo and City? I heard it's because the W&C is self-contained that they don't need them, but so is the Island Line, to a greater degree since pre-1994 the main line was only a lift ride away from the W&C and at least the Cl487's were known to occasionally operate on the surface (non-passenger obviously).

Isn't it because the Island line is NR rails, whereas the W&C is LU? Or am I missing something here.

mallard

Established Member
Isn't it because the Island line is NR rails, whereas the W&C is LU? Or am I missing something here.

It was BR until privatisation, when it was sold to the LU for a token sum of £1.

chic

hi, been a lurker for a while, just a question really, the 314's around glasgow on their introduction in the 80's had yellow slightly wrapping around their fronts which suited the shape as the attached grab from an old spte video shows, was the yellow area reduced when painted for livery reasons or to meet regulations of some sort?

I know they'll probably never be repainted with the cascade from the 380's being introduced next year, but the fronts look a bit strange in the current livery.

Attachments

• 314yellowed.jpg
    314yellowed.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 46

jbhtrams

As an addendum to yellow panels on diesels/electrics, most steamers have Red/Vermillion buffer beams for the same reason...being seen!
jbhtrams

driver9000

Established Member
hi, been a lurker for a while, just a question really, the 314's around glasgow on their introduction in the 80's had yellow slightly wrapping around their fronts which suited the shape as the attached grab from an old spte video shows, was the yellow area reduced when painted for livery reasons or to meet regulations of some sort?

The painting of the yellow onto the side was for aesthetics, there was never any regulation that required the yellow to extend around the side, nor can I see how it would benefit the safety aspect of the yellow warning panel. Yellow cabsides (side windows wxcepted) werent applied until the Large logo era and only locos carrying that livery gained yellow sides as a rule and later builds of MUs didnt carry yellow sides. That said over the years there have been 'freak' liveried that prove the exception to the rule. :lol:

LondonLarry

I thought the requirement for yellow fronts was withdrawn when modern rolling stock came in with three bright headlights. I no longer see the point of them on newer stock.

I was sat at Milton Keynes yesterday, at the London end of the platform, waiting for my London Midland train home. As it came over the horizon, it wasn't the yellow front I saw first, it was the bright headlights. Even in the daytime, they are far superior to a yellow front - which is normally blackened by all the dead bugs on the front of the train!

driver9000

Established Member
I thought the requirement for yellow fronts was withdrawn when modern rolling stock came in with three bright headlights. I no longer see the point of them on newer stock.

The amount of yellow required has reduced in recent years but its still very much in force :)

I would expect that if the RGS is amended so that yellow warning panels are no longer mandatory then roof markers would be fitted to older rolling stock aswell. I still cant get my head round the notion that they are even thinking about doing away with simple effective safety feature on trains all because the EU says so!

starrymarkb

Established Member
I wasn't aware that there was any EU (or more likely UIC) ruling on the Yellow. As I said before Ireland has just adopted yellow ends, Dutch railways require a certain amount of yellow or white (hence Rallion locomotives having white stripes on the front), NMBS paint their stock with yellow ends, the French require chevrons (unless you are SNCF :roll:)

So its a mixed bag on the continent!

driver9000

Established Member
The thing I read gave 'interoperability' as the reason, but Ive not been back to the depot I read it at for another look yet

Class92Man

Hi all
The class 59's from what i've seen have'nt got much of a yellow frount although they still have more than 1 Metre x1 Metre.

TrainBrain185

Ciao, yellow ends a no-no at TrenItalia. Very very relaxed adherence to Rail rules and regs in general, especially for the public! Thats what I love about the Italian Railways...sooo relaxed but everything works bellisimo.
Rome in particular, the graffitti artists put their own stamp on train fronts and carriages which incidently I totally deplore!!
Arrivaderci :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.