• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Bingley and overdistance excess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
On Saturday I plan to travel to Bingley, walk along the canal to either Saltaire or Shipley and get the train back. From what I can gather the best option would be to buy a CDR to Saltaire and an overdistance excess for Saltaire to Bingley (which should cost around £8.95 if I have worked it out right with a railcard).

Question is, where would be best to get the excess? York, Leeds or on the train to Bingley?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you ask at York they'll just say if you are going to Bingley, get a return to Bingley. I don't see how you can ask for an over-distance excess when you first buy the ticket.

York-Saltaire rtn is £8.05, and Saltaire-Bingley single is 65p.

In fact if you were returning from Bingley, it'd still be cheaper to split at Saltaire, but get a rtn for £1.15.

Good luck getting excesses, it relies on finding well-trained staff who are willing to do it! Always more chance of guards being able to do them than ticket office staff. I've heard so many problems with trying to get excesses it isn't worth it unless you save a few quid. In this case the potential saving was a few pence but I reckon it's actually more expensive.

Enjoy the walk :) It's a nice route, I've done Keighley-Leeds, by bike, it's too far to walk that distance really. We were supposed to be doing a cycle ride / pub meet last Summer on this route but it never happened; maybe next Summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.