• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York-Cardiff Central cheap tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

Hi all !

I am asking on behalf of my daughter who turns 21 at the end of March.

She is wanting to go to Cardiff from York to celebrate her birthday from Monday to Thursday (ideally 28th to 31st March). She wants to go with her boyfriend (therefore 2 adults) and she has a 16-25 Railcard.

She was hoping to get cheapish rail tickets and book a nice hotel but the trains tickets seem very expensive (about £180).

I am guessing the advance tickets have not been issued yet but even looking at times in February there appears to be very little advance discounts. Is it really that expensive to get to Cardiff nowadays as she can get tickets to London for a fraction of the price quoted to Cardiff.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wellhouse

Any permitted tickets priced by Cross Country give the option of travelling via Manchester or via Bristol. Timings are not much different each way.

I suggest splitting at either Huddersfield or Manchester (either way changing trains at Manchester) You will Aleppo find the off peak fare restrictions via Manchester much less onerous.

mikeg

Established Member
I often find advances via Manchester to be good value on this route. For some reason webtis based booking engines don't seem to show them but if you use a train line powered engine such as Arriva trains Wales website, or use takethetrain (which is good at dragging up alternative routes if a bit slow to navigate different times) you should be able to find some when they're released I'm sure.

Dies her boyfriend have a railcard too? It may be worth buying one just for the journey if you can't find decent advances.

Last edited:

extendedpaul

York to Manchester First Trans Pennine advances £7.20, Manchester to Cardiff Arrive Trains Wales advances £20.00 are widely available.

Assuming both have 16-25 railcards and travel outside minimum fare periods that would be approx £18 each in each direction for a total of £72.

island

Veteran Member
Echo the above suggestion about her boyfriend getting a Railcard if he does not have one. A Two Together would be a good choice if he isn't eligible for any other type.

Razor1967

Thanks for the replies, due to the cost, they have now decided to go to Birmingham (their choice, not mine !).

They are going to stay in the Burlington Hotel next to New Street and looking on Cross Country Trains they can get advance tickets (when released for end of March) for approx £60 which is a lot better.

Thanks again for your help !

Status
Not open for further replies.