• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York IECC closes as control transfers to the adjacent ROC

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Following closure of York IECC during the christmas shutdown Some signallers have been leaving tributes on their panels/workstations.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

66Yorks

Forgive me but my knowledge of signalling is abysmal!
Was the IECC a signal box that has now moved to The ROC or is there a new signalling system that is now in use?

LowLevel

Established Member
Forgive me but my knowledge of signalling is abysmal!
Was the IECC a signal box that has now moved to The ROC or is there a new signalling system that is now in use?

The IECC was a signalling centre opened in 1989 using technology from the time. The actual signalling equipment remains the same but the actual building is closed and the signalling control equipment (work stations) have been moved into the York Rail Operating Centre building. Little changes on the ground, it's mostly an estates saving and an opportunity to update control equipment.

takno

Established Member
The IECC (integrated electronic control centre) was a big signal box covering Leeds to York inclusive, and a chunk of the east coast main line. The ROC is a more modern centre which combines signalling and train control, as well as providing better control desks, and being big enough to cover a much larger area.

As the IECCs are not that old themselves, they tend to be connected to fairly modern interlockings. This allows all the existing signalling to be recontrolled to the new centre relatively easily, rather than the complete resignalling that's required in older areas.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I believe only some workstations have transferred; that is, (part of) the IECC remains in use.

As far as I'm aware everything (workstations and Electrical Control Room) in York IECC has moved to York ROC. Considering that I believe that the interlockings, relays, etc are all in a separate building between the ROC and the IECC the building which housed the IECC is fully surplus to requirements.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
As far as I'm aware everything (workstations and Electrical Control Room) in York IECC has moved to York ROC. Considering that I believe that the interlockings, relays, etc are all in a separate building between the ROC and the IECC the building which housed the IECC is fully surplus to requirements.

It will be useful office space. I bet someone has thier eye on it.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It will be useful office space. I bet someone has thier eye on it.

This could be something that's died a death but I was rather under the impression that Network Rail were eyeing up the site for a potential platform 12 coupled with some jiggery pokery with the north throat to reduce the conflicting moves required for Harrogate loop trains.

Failing that office space in that location is going to command a decent chunk of change so I'd agree that its highly likely someone will move in before too long!

pdeaves

Established Member
Fair enough; I omitted some affected routes when trying to find out if anything would be left.

Status
Not open for further replies.