• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Journey Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamcoppard

Hi all,

I am looking at undertaking the following journey (Yeovil - York) sometime in the near future, and whilst I will be booking in advance, I am not constrained to any dates, apart from NOT being able to do the week in mid August.

I understand from my reading of posts here, that advances are quota controlled for the price brackets. So, what days would be quetiest for me to undertake a journey like this? I also have to undertake my first cross London transfer, which is slightly daunting unless anybody can find a route without it.

This would be my proposed itenary:

(I am using the date of 29th August for arguments sake). Leave Yeovil, or Castle Cary if it helps matters sometime around 0600 - 0700. I don't mind changing trains if it helps bring the price down. I want to leave York the same day, I don't mind when as long as I'm back in Yeovil (or Castle Cary) sometime around 2200 (the closer the better). If there was a really good reason to go from Taunton I could probably get away with it - I have relatives living reasonably close, although would prefer to avoid this if at all possible.

I have found a journey with a grand total of £65.65 (with a 16-25 railcard) - a £39.60 advance in the morning from Yeovil Pen Mill - Castle Cary - London Paddington - London Kings Cross - York and a £26.05 advance in the afternoon York - Kings Cross - Vauxhall - Clapham Junction - Yeovil Junction with times 06:20 - 11:34 and 16:01 - 21:40.

If anybody knew of anyway to make this slightly cheaper / could suggest a better travel plan I'd be welcome - I'm not aghast to going 'the long way around' as long as it doesn't add to long to my journey time!

Secondly, I don't yet have a Y-P railcard, although am thinking of investing in one, as by my reckoning it will have paid for itself in this trip (unfortunately, only have £12 Tesco vouchers to hand, so looks like £28). If I went down my local manned station do I have it to hand then or does it get posted to me at a later date? How long is this typically - and what is my best bet for getting one quickly (online / station)?

Thirdly, as mentioned this is my first cross London transfer / first time on the tube / bus / any other method of transport. If anyone could make this easier by suggesting where abouts I'm headed / the etiquette of the tube as it were I'd be grateful (sorry, I like to have things planned so I can almost do it in my mind before I do).

Finally, any other tips for any part of the journey?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

island

Veteran Member
Only answering some subsets of your question:

16-25 railcards can be obtained on the spot at any staffed station (well almost any; I wouldn't look for one at a random country shack that's staffed for three hours a day as they probably don't have the stock). If you've not had one before you need to bring a passport photo and proof of age.

Don't bother spending Tesco vouchers on railcards, you only get £2 for £1 as opposed to £3 for £1 when you use then on redspottedhanky :)

clagmonster

Established Member
The tickets should be routed 'East Coast & Connections', so if you book at www.eastcoast.co.uk you will get an 11% discount. I would advise bookingquickly, as you say the tickets are quota controlled and can and do sell out quickly.

For the Underground, on your northbound journey, from Paddington to Kings Cross you need the eastbound Circle or Hammersmith and City Line from Paddington, which will be a direct service to Kings Cross.

Coming back, you will need the southbound Victoria line from Kings Cross to Vauxhall.

Any manned station can issue a railcard on the spot on production of a completed form, a passport photograph, proof of eligibility (passport, driving licence or birth certificate should do for a YP) and £28.00.

Established Member
In general, mid week and afternoon out of King's Cross is normally the best time for booking tickets - although you can get some very inexpensive tickets if you're prepared to take the last train of the night (once went KGX - Leeds for about £6 on the last train).

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
In general, mid week and afternoon out of King's Cross is normally the best time for booking tickets - although you can get some very inexpensive tickets if you're prepared to take the last train of the night (once went KGX - Leeds for about £6 on the last train).
Yes. The 2200 out of KGX can be cheap, or you can get cheap tickets on the less-popular Leeds trains by specifying via Leeds. If there any issues with TPE not being open for reservations or running out of quota, then specify via East Garforth to get a Northern 'suggested service'.

cuccir

Established Member
(I am using the date of 29th August for arguments sake).

Note that this is a Bank Holiday. Train times may differ from other dates and the availability of advance tickets for this day might not be representative of other dates

Secondly, I don't yet have a Y-P railcard, although am thinking of investing in one, as by my reckoning it will have paid for itself in this trip (unfortunately, only have £12 Tesco vouchers to hand, so looks like £28). If I went down my local manned station do I have it to hand then or does it get posted to me at a later date? How long is this typically - and what is my best bet for getting one quickly (online / station)

If you are young enough (23 or under) then you can buy a three-year railcard online. It's a bit more upfront, but much cheaper in the long run if you're planning to travel via rail a lot. It's £65. If you don't want a 3 year card, or are too old, you can get 10% off the cost of a one year card if you buy online.

Status
Not open for further replies.