• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Lancaster Advance Ticket Query

Status
Not open for further replies.

dave87016

Established Member
Hi all

I have a question as I bought a ticket for a elderly couple the ticket in question is for Wednesday 23rd August 1449pm TPE from york arrives Man Piccadilly at 1611pm the connecting train on the iteniary and ticket departs Man Piccadilly to Lancaster at 1621pm again it’s a TPE service , if the train from York is delayed are they allowed to use the next TPE service to Lancaster at no extra cost ? Or if they don’t manage to make it from platform the lower platforms at man Piccadilly to platform 14 in time would they be able to use the next service ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

plugwash

Established Member
10 minuites is exactly the official minimum connection time. I personally find it pretty generous, but others may have their own opinions.

If they miss your connection to due to a delayed train the are entitled to take the next one. I'm not sure what the situation is if they miss the train due to their own infirmness or due to issues at the station.

If stairs are not a problem, then when changing at Manchester Picadilly they should ignore the crowd heading for the main concourse and head straight for the overbridge. This will likely result in a shorter walk, and avoid having to tangle with ticket barriers.

dave87016

Established Member
10 minuites is exactly the official minimum connection time. I personally find it pretty generous, but others may have their own opinions.

If they miss your connection to due to a delayed train the are entitled to take the next one. I'm not sure what the situation is if they miss the train due to their own infirmness or due to issues at the station.

If stairs are not a problem, then when changing at Manchester Picadilly they should ignore the crowd heading for the main concourse and head straight for the overbridge. This will likely result in a shorter walk, and avoid having to tangle with ticket barriers.
Many thanks for your help mate , I think if the go towards middle of the train when alighting they should make it providing the train is on time

Class800

Established Member
I would be very surprised if there were any issues getting the next one if they don't make it to the platform in time providing a genuine attempt is made, just confirm with staff before boarding. Even as a comparably young man, I have missed connections twice due to issues other than train delays and on both cases staff had no issue with me taking the next connection on an advance. One was due to delays retrieving luggage from the guard's van on a full LNER service where Edinburgh bound passengers were asked to check in their suitcases to the guard's van. The other was when there was a slight train delay into Bristol Temple Meads but there was still 5 minutes until my connection (less than minimum connection remained but was definitely manageable), but it was from one side of station to the other and due to congestion in the passageway I didn't get through in time. Most staff are reasonable, some aren't

dave87016

Established Member
I would be very surprised if there were any issues getting the next one if they don't make it to the platform in time providing a genuine attempt is made, just confirm with staff before boarding. Even as a comparably young man, I have missed connections twice due to issues other than train delays and on both cases staff had no issue with me taking the next connection on an advance. One was due to delays retrieving luggage from the guard's van on a full LNER service where Edinburgh bound passengers were asked to check in their suitcases to the guard's van. The other was when there was a slight train delay into Bristol Temple Meads but there was still 5 minutes until my connection (less than minimum connection remained but was definitely manageable), but it was from one side of station to the other and due to congestion in the passageway I didn't get through in time. Most staff are reasonable, some aren't
Cheers mate appreciate it I will pass that on to them

Llandudno

Established Member
Seek out the guard and approach with a smile and politely ask if you can travel on the next train and 99% of the time you won’t have a problem.

Virtually all on train staff are great if you approach them in the right manner!

Class800

Established Member
Seek out the guard and approach with a smile and politely ask if you can travel on the next train and 99% of the time you won’t have a problem.

Virtually all on train staff are great if you approach them in the right manner!
agree with that

dave87016

Established Member

agree with that
Thanks very much , I appreciate it , to be honest I didn’t realise the small connection time till after I booked the tickets .

Status
Not open for further replies.