• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York - Scarborough - Whitby - York [in progress]

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I got the 1238 TPE from York to Scarborough, fortunately managed to get my bike in the cycle storage place before it become wedged. showed the friendly guard my ticket to Whitby and explained I was going to cycle the now closed line and return the long way round on the train, he was great and was happy to accept it.

When I get to Scarborough, I have 2 hours to get to Ruswarp for the train, heading into Whitby first. I could miss it and get the train ex-Whitby half an hour later but it's likely to be wedged so I won't risk it [it's the only train back....!].

to be continued...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Well, I headed toward the start of the cycle route, but there were no signs. I was Seeing several cyclists heading the other way, I asked one as he was passing, if this was the way to whitby, 'yes' was the reply, so I carried on going. It didn't feel right though as I was heading too far west, I asked a few more the same question, 'yes' they said, but I was, after a while, certain it wasn't! I asked one more, 'i don't know, we've come from wetherby'. Oh dear. I turned round back into scarborough and, with the help of Tom Cairns giving me directions I found the old railway line.

The route itself is mostly intact - just a few places where you have to take a detour - but, surprisingly for a railway line, full of tight corners and steep gradients up to 1 in 39. The summit is at Ravenscar, and excellent views can be seen on the descent from here toward Robin Hood's Bay.

Unfortunately I was running late due to getting lost earlier, and I had to give up and turn round before reaching Robin Hood's Bay and got the 1845 back from Scarborough.

I could have continued to Whitby and got the 18:00 NYMR back to Pickering. But, not knowing my way from Pickering to Malton and also mindful of the huge ching that could incur, I decided not to. It can wait for another day. There will definitely be a forum meet cycling this interesting route this Summer!

adamp

Wow sounds good! Im always stuck for finding new bike rides...I do the same one (Chadderton to todmorden) all the time!
have you carried on past todmorden? if you have where does it go...?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Wow sounds good! Im always stuck for finding new bike rides...I do the same one (Chadderton to todmorden) all the time!
have you carried on past todmorden? if you have where does it go...?
Check this out

No idea about the Todmorden route - but try looking up the maps on the Sustrans website.

Spaceflower

Established Member
I know that route well, its a bit tricky to pick up in scarborough, but like you say, its plain sailing from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.