• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York-Shipley-Newark return

Status
Not open for further replies.

bennorthyork

I need to travel York-Shipley-Newark tomorrow morning to arrive in Shipley by 09.00 latest and returning to arrive in York by 17.00 but I need the time to be flexible. It’s one adult and two children, but the children are only travelling on the York-Shipley part of the journey both out and return. I have a family railcard. What’s the cheapest way to buy tickets for a fairly direct journey please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

alistairlees

Established Member
So you want to:
- go from York to Shipley with one adult, two children and a family railcard; then
- go from Shipley to Newark as one adult only (no railcards);
- then do both of these in reverse?

If so then it’s an Off-Peak Day Return from York to Shipley for yourself and the children, and then an off peak return from Shipley to Newark for you. I don’t think splitting does much between those two places.

cosmo

I'm not one of our fares advisors, who will likely know more about all this than I do, but I would personally suggest the following tickets considering your requirements for flexibility (all fares found using TrainSplit and tested for validity by attempted purchase with LNER)

- York to Shipley: Off-Peak Return (with Family and Friends Railcard): £21.60
- York to Newark Stations: Off-Peak Return (no railcard): £46.60

Total fare: £68.20 (at time of post)

bennorthyork

So you want to:
- go from York to Shipley with one adult, two children and a family railcard; then
- go from Shipley to Newark as one adult only (no railcards);
- then do both of these in reverse?

If so then it’s an Off-Peak Day Return from York to Shipley for yourself and the children, and then an off peak return from Shipley to Newark for you. I don’t think splitting does much between those two places.
Thank you

I'm not one of our fares advisors, who will likely know more about all this than I do, but I would personally suggest the following tickets considering your requirements for flexibility (all fares found using TrainSplit and tested for validity by attempted purchase with LNER)

- York to Shipley: Off-Peak Return (with Family and Friends Railcard): £21.60
- York to Newark Stations: Off-Peak Return (no railcard): £46.60

Total fare: £68.20 (at time of post)
Thank you. As I probably suspected, no cheaper options for this one.

Veteran Member
Thank you

Thank you. As I probably suspected, no cheaper options for this one.
Assuming you are collecting the children in Shipley (or even Leeds on the return, then you need a SHY-NNG Offpeak return as alastairlees says.
I would not expect the YRK-NNG ticket suggested by cosmo to be valid between Leeds and Shipley, though I am happy to be corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.