• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York station Lowther Terrace (Holgate) exit

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Since the station car park will be closed over those weekends, presumably because the work taking place will prevent access to and egress from it, I see little reason not to re-open the Lowther Terrace gate during those times, at absolute least.
I completely agree, as does York Cycle Campaign as below:
Seems like it would be a good time to reopen the #ActiveTravel gate at Lowther Terrace so people can still get to York Station, and Scarborough Bridge without a HUGE detour on much more dangerous roads for #Cycling @CityofYork @activetraveleng

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Established Member
They do seem to have lurched down an interesting "safety" avenue of late. They unilaterally shut off platform 3's long face at Grantham last year having decided that having been that way since at least 1972 it was now intolerably unsafe to have passengers use it with 5 car Azumas stopping at the far end, having previously done it with 9 car HSTs with slam doors and 225 sets, which has caused plenty of problems with EMR effectively now unable to use the platform for their 3 car 170s.

At least they're not just picking on one station, I suppose.
I think you will actually find that the blocking off of the platform at Grantham was a reaction from EMR I am lead to believe. Something to do with tipping out a 3 car train as a high speed train past through on platform 2.

LowLevel

Established Member
I think you will actually find that the blocking off of the platform at Grantham was a reaction from EMR I am lead to believe. Something to do with tipping out a 3 car train as a high speed train past through on platform 2.
I can't really go into more detail but it certainly wasn't.

Established Member
I can't really go into more detail but it certainly wasn't.
Ok, well I know of EMR drivers who would refuse to take class 170 trains into that platform.

However this post is about York, and not about Grantham.

Egg Centric

The irony, is they probably think they are doing the right thing, when, in reality, they couldn't be more wide of the mark!

It's very kind of you to think that way but I doubt they give a stuff about doing the right thing!

I really wish that every road user, unless disabled or similar had to put a reasonable bit of time into getting a basic bit of proficiency in every form of road transport to gain a driving licence (and anyone without a driving licence shouldn't be designing infrastructure involving road vehicles in which I include cycles and pedestrians).

This is mostly about cyclists but also about motorbikes, vans, horses, pedestrians, and HGVs. All of these road users have different needs and you can't appreciate them until you've been one. Plus hopefully it would encourage more cycling - the amount of times I hear people afraid of cycling is crazy. But they're scared cause of stuff like this. And no cyclist would have permitted this to occur.

LowLevel

Established Member
Ok, well I know of EMR drivers who would refuse to take class 170 trains into that platform.

However this post is about York, and not about Grantham.
Indeed it is, I simply found it to be an interesting situation where two seemingly odd moves have been made on safety grounds in recent times by the same company, both of which seem to have caused some upset with little if any consultation or discussion.

I regularly work the trains you mention.

Class800

Established Member
Surely speed cameras at 5mph in the carpark (the usual carpark speed) would help the situation. And in a less serious note, surely every station should have an exit onto Station Road, where a road of this name is available

Meerkat

Established Member
Surely speed cameras at 5mph in the carpark (the usual carpark speed) would help the situation. And in a less serious note, surely every station should have an exit onto Station Road, where a road of this name is available
I would guess that the issue isn’t speeding but drivers coming out of parking spaces across cyclists?

D6700

I would guess that the issue isn’t speeding but drivers coming out of parking spaces across cyclists?
It can't be that, as the route was already through the car park.

There was a one way system for navigating that section of the car park, but when the new car exit was introduced, contradictory signage appeared, which naturally resulted in cars "going the wrong way", as well as some other drivers simply taking the shortest route to the exit.

Meerkat

Established Member
It can't be that, as the route was already through the car park.

There was a one way system for navigating that section of the car park, but when the new car exit was introduced, contradictory signage appeared, which naturally resulted in cars "going the wrong way", as well as some other drivers simply taking the shortest route to the exit.
Maybe, or there were a spate of accidents that brought the issue to attention. Of course they picked on the bikes rather than restrict The car park…..

David Dunning

An update here.
Cllr Pete Kilbane, the deputy leader of City of York Council told me the Lowther Terrace gates will reopen at around 8pm on Friday April 19. However I understand there may be future closures in connection with the multi story car park construction. But for now LNER has back tracked.

YorkRailFan

On Moderation
Cyclists complained the closure would have meant they would be forced to commute via Blossom Street, “a black spot for accidents with virtually no cycle infrastructure,” according to Sarah Opie via X.
City of York Council officers were in discussions with York-based LNER over the issue and the rail firm has now agreed to re-open the route from 8pm on Friday, April 19.

Councillor Pete Kilbane, deputy leader of the council and executive member for transport and economy, said: “Our thanks go to residents for their patience while we worked with LNER to find a way to safely reopen the Lowther Terrace gates at around 8pm on Friday, April 1.
“The gates were initially closed due to safety concerns around the bottleneck at the station building end of the car park.

“These new arrangements will allow all pedestrians, cyclists and drivers to move safely through the car park.9.
“For the arrangements to operate successfully it is incumbent on all users to follow the set routes.

“We continue to work with LNER and Network Rail to try and ensure active travel routes through the car park during the works, though we acknowledge this may not be possible when construction activity is at its height.”

Confirmed in a York Press article, delighted that Kilbrane and the wider Council have gotten LNER to reopen the Lowther Terrace entrance/exit during the closure of Queen Street.

D6700

An update here.
Cllr Pete Kilbane, the deputy leader of City of York Council told me the Lowther Terrace gates will reopen at around 8pm on Friday April 19. However I understand there may be future closures in connection with the multi story car park construction. But for now LNER has back tracked.
Great news - thank you for this positive update.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's now official: LNER have been defeated. At least, on this issue (there are still plenty more battles to be had with them, but they are covered by other threads):

Kallum Taylor said:
Good news Lowther Terrace gate re-opens 8pm Friday 19 April Thanks all concerned for their patience and support on this - it's been a right headache - and props to @KilbanePete getting
@CityofYork to pushback and find a way through with @LNERhttps://twitter.com/LNER
Andy D'Agorne said:
Thanks to yourself and @KilbanePete for bringing @LNER to treat all customers with respect while work underway. Still design aspects need to be changed on planned multi storey car park to provide sensible walk + cycle route from the ramp to platform 1. @CityofYork take note!
Dorinda said:
Thanks for taking action on this. Blossom street is just so very dangerous an alternative route...
Graeme Osborn said:
Excellent work. Thanks Kallum et al.
oliver birtill said:
Great news - thanks all
Will LNER learn from this? Probably not, but I suppose we can hope...

I have one more trip to endure the awful diversion, but at least it's to the station; when I return, the gate should be back open.

Late on an evening I have done the diversion, and it was a tedious way round, but the traffic was light, so tolerable. On one occasion it would have been busy; the idea of turning right from Queen Street at a busy time did not appeal, so I had to carry my bike up and down the steps and endure the unsafe road surface at Windmill Rise, rather than follow the Queen Street diversion.

My respect for David Horne has been diminishing in the past 4 years and in recent weeks has hit a new low; I do still admire his style of management, and he says a lot of good things, but some of the decisions taken by the company in the past 4 years have been absolutely shocking.

Does he realise the strength of feeling against LNER, not just on this, but on so many fronts, I wonder? Probably not, sadly.

LNER has a cultural problem, and that remains the case; they did not repeal this decision of their own accord. They had to be put under immense pressure and forced to relent. They should have listened to us earlier.

A key pathway and cycle route in and out of York Station that was closed by LNER is to re-open following pressure from council chiefs.

Cyclists complained the closure would have meant they would be forced to commute via Blossom Street, “a black spot for accidents with virtually no cycle infrastructure,” according to Sarah Opie via X.

As YorkMix reported, LNER suddenly shut the gate in Lowther Terrace – a commonly used cycle and walking route – because of work to upgrade York railway station. It was due to stay closed for nearly 18 months.

Council officers were in discussions with LNER to re-open the route and have now agreed to re-open the route from 8pm on Friday, 19 April.

Last edited:

mlambeuk

I think there's a bigger risk of that type of incident at the exit next to platform 2 leading to Scarborough bridge.

HST43257

Established Member
More is being made of this than is accurate.

As far as I’m aware, the reopening is only during the Queen Street closure (so a couple of weekends, when the car park won’t be accessible). In which case no ”battle“ has been won, but in fact the cars deemed a danger won’t be able to access the route.

I may be completely wrong on this but everything I’ve heard points to this, however don’t be surprised if the gate is closed come Monday daytime

I’m of the impression that lots of cars (notably quite a lot of taxis) have been swinging round corners at a decent speed in the new one way system

YorkRailFan

On Moderation

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
More is being made of this than is accurate.
Do you have an authoritiative source?

It seems difficult to get the information, and to make things worse, it's a deviation to go up to the gate only to find it's locked. There is no sign off Holgate Road indicating if it's open or not.
As far as I’m aware, the reopening is only during the Queen Street closure (so a couple of weekends, when the car park won’t be accessible). In which case no ”battle“ has been won, but in fact the cars deemed a danger won’t be able to access the route.
That is very worrying if true.

I’m of the impression that lots of cars (notably quite a lot of taxis) have been swinging round corners at a decent speed in the new one way system
The bizarre thing is that the risk to pedestrians could never be eliminated by this closure, as people still need to get from their parked cars to the station somehow!

The people who came up with this are clearly lacking in intelligence, as well as having a warped sense of safety (in other words, purport to move a hazard away from railway property , yet in doing so, drastically reducing safety on someone eles's property).

HST43257

Established Member
Do you have an authoritiative source?

It seems difficult to get the information, and to make things worse, it's a deviation to go up to the gate only to find it's locked. There is no sign off Holgate Road indicating if it's open or not.

That is very worrying if true.
Straight answer - no. However I have seen a sign somewhere (can’t remember where) simply calling it a diversionary route during the Queen St closure. As I’ve said, I may be wrong, but expect little good.
It's only logical that the Lowther Terrace entrance is opened during this Time like it will be this weekend.
Presumably only the access to long stay is blocked, rather than work on the car park itself at this point. So this hopefully will be possible

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Straight answer - no. However I have seen a sign somewhere (can’t remember where) simply calling it a diversionary route during the Queen St closure. As I’ve said, I may be wrong, but expect little good.
That sign may have pre-dated the announcement; it was always the plan to have it open for the Queen St closure, because otherwise the alternative routes for some journeys would have been even longer.

In other news:

“So if you’re coming into town and don’t absolutely need to use the car, leave it at home.

“Get the bus, walk, cycle, or use the Park&Ride. Because if people don’t change their behaviour, there will be gridlock and carmageddon.”
I can almost guarantee insufficient people will heed this and there will be gridlock in the area.

But the good news is that:
Council bosses stress that, while it will take until November for contractors John Sisk & Son to complete work on the new road layout in front of the station once the Queen Street Bridge has been demolished, it should only be the next couple of weekends when there is significant disruption.
I do hope LNER act reasonably if anyone misses trains as a result of the works.

HST43257

Established Member
That sign may have pre-dated the announcement; it was always the plan to have it open for the Queen St closure, because otherwise the alternative routes for some journeys would have been even longer.
Hoping so

Established Member

In other news:

I can almost guarantee insufficient people will heed this and there will be gridlock in the area.

They will, like they do whenever there is an accident or major congestion near a station delaying people getting there, emails are sent to front like teams to use discretion.

greyman42

Established Member

In other news:

Have i understood this correctly in that they actually plan to demolish the whole of Queen St. bridge on the second weekend?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Have i understood this correctly in that they actually plan to demolish the whole of Queen St. bridge on the second weekend?
Yes. This weekend is preparation for it.

After the second weekend there will be a diversion via a temporary road.

duffield

Established Member
Yes. This weekend is preparation for it.

After the second weekend there will be a diversion via a temporary road.
So, I've looked at the linked article and I'm a little bit familiar with the area as a visitor, and it looks like a big improvement. But I don't really understand how, with the bridge gone, Queen Street is going to rise up on the approach to the junction with Micklegate. Won't it now be on the wrong level and need a very steep slope at this point?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So, I've looked at the linked article and I'm a little bit familiar with the area as a visitor, and it looks like a big improvement. But I don't really understand how, with the bridge gone, Queen Street is going to rise up on the approach to the junction with Micklegate. Won't it now be on the wrong level and need a very steep slope at this point?
The level should be the same or very similar at Micklegate and the station front, but at present there is a steep slope up & down to get over the redundant bridge.

If there is a difference in levels, it would be a gradual change in height going forward, rather than the steep up and down it is today.

D6700

Looking at a topological map, there is roughly a 3 metre difference in the road level outside the station and at the junction with Blossom Street. My initial thoughts were also that the changes would result in a steep climb.

However, the old railway bridge does have a rise and fall prior to the climb up to the road junction. If you look at Google Street view, the slip road off Queen Street to the Railway Institute actually drops to the level of the station car park and station front - and the gradient is pretty shallow along the slip road.

duffield

Established Member
The level should be the same or very similar at Micklegate and the station front, but at present there is a steep slope up & down to get over the redundant bridge.

If there is a difference in levels, it would be a gradual change in height going forward, rather than the steep up and down it is today.
Thanks. The "down" bit of the the "up and down" wasn't obvious to me but I've found a side view of the bridge from Google Streetview and it all makes sense.

D6700

I can confirm that the gate is open this morning.

A fenced off section of the car park has been created. Given that the car park is effectively closed this weekend, that would suggest the gate will remain open after the weekend, as initially reported.