• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York Station WiFi

Status
Not open for further replies.

adtrainz

I shall be travelling to York in a few days, and shall be spending some time on the station. I believe that there is WiFi throughout the station, and that it is free?

Also, how is the actual service? Good connection all over the station, in some parts, or just rubbish? And does anyone actually use it, with mobile internet so dominant these days?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
Works well in the waiting room on platform 7/9 from my experience. Couldn't get it to work while sat on a train on platform 11 though!

premier01

I shall be travelling to York in a few days, and shall be spending some time on the station. I believe that there is WiFi throughout the station, and that it is free?

Also, how is the actual service? Good connection all over the station, in some parts, or just rubbish? And does anyone actually use it, with mobile internet so dominant these days?

Thanks!

Although a lot of people use the 3G mobile internet a lot of phones have wi-fi built in now-I use it where possible although have to say some types of network don't work too well on phones!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I shall be travelling to York in a few days
If that's the 11th you can say hello to quite a few people from the forum as we are meeting in York that day!

and shall be spending some time on the station. I believe that there is WiFi throughout the station, and that it is free?

To be honest I've never used it, as I have mobile internet. I could probably ask around though and see if anyone I know has used it.

ApAp

It's free, it's the same wifi as you'd get in EC first class lounges which is much quicker than the train and doesn't require registration.

I think NXEC fitted it in this station to make up for the fact there's no first class lounge in York (as typically in East Coast managed stations only the first class lounges have free wifi).

It seems to work well in the main part of the station, but not at the extremes of platforms.

radamfi

Established Member
When using public wifi on trains, stations or elsewhere do you use a VPN for security?

PinzaC55

If you want to access the internet in Coopers bar you can get it near the door to Tearoom Square but if you go in any further than that you are screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.