• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

York to still get barriers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy

Is york still to get ticket barriers even though NXEC has departed (no pun intended). It look like York is going to, but when and how.

A part of what looks like a partition from a ticket barrier have been erected behine the advert pannel between the end of platform 1 and the lounge. Also a new fast ticket machine has been erected oppersite to the long stay car park machines.

Is looking like the barriers are going in, i have no idea when these two things were erected, but im guessing that they are quite recent editions, are they are still very clean, and new looking i.e. one day or two.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Andy

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Lampshade

Established Member
York City Council refused listed building consent, NXEC were going to appeal but the DfT withdrew the plans altogether. If barriers were going in, someone would have heard about it by now methinks.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Could just be in place for the races. Isn't it the race season soon? I could do with knowing if any of the poshly dressed but badly behaved snobs will cause me the inconvenience of faffing about with tickets (or telling annoying barrier staff that I am going for the GC) when I am travelling ;) It's particularly bad when you get off a train ex-London that is heading for Newcastle and they surround the door and try to prevent you getting off. I'd rather not have to barge my way out.

(Rant over ;))

Andy

Well i have to get some pictures, but it would make sense with the fast ticket machine being where it is, and also the partition/barrier has been cemented and drilled in, so i don't think its temp' for the races. Plus if it was, then sure not many race going would use the car part entrance and exit(?), they would all use the main entrance.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Just had a quick scout around, and found this on google images (yorkie you know you love it).

Newcastle+Central+Ticket+Barriers+013.jpg

Picture copyright: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/

The partition that i mention is behind the advert panel where they wouldn't be able to have the barriers. In the photo above it is the same as the far left and right on these barriers.

Maybe not, but it does seem like a very big coincidence.

Last edited:

Lampshade

Established Member
yes..... thats why i said the partition is the same as the ones in the picture above to the left and right.

Aha I see, could be just an aesthetic addition but it's certainly not barriers. The addition of a TVM is probably just for convenience.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I was last at York station I didn't notice anything different near platform 1. I may be there tomorrow so will take a look (if I remember!)

I very much doubt they are going to implement barriers without planning permission. And I doubt they will re-apply for permission when they previously stated they were withdrawing from the scheme. Anyway new Labour are gone now so hopefully we'll see a change in policy :)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was there today and didn't see anything different.

races may even be on this weekend, its definitely the race season.

Status
Not open for further replies.