• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

London Black is excellent. My local micro pub sells it. I've got a London Black baseball cap.
Thwaites were brewing a cask-conditioned "Irish Stout" for St Patrick's day this year. It was much better than Guinness.

nw1

Established Member
When there are two famous people of a particular name on Wikipedia and the politician of that name is almost a quarter of a century younger than the dance DJ of the same name.

(Points for the name if you can guess...)

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
When there are two famous people of a particular name on Wikipedia and the politician of that name is almost a quarter of a century younger than the dance DJ of the same name.

(Points for the name if you can guess...)
What’s a ‘dance DJ’ - for those of us who are too old to know the difference…

Benters

You get roped into the Midland Counties 12 Stage Road Relays at Sutton Park, Birmingham because your running club is short on numbers. I was the oldest in our men's team by a country mile (I'm 61). Boy, was I glad to finish, having last competed there nearly eight years ago.
At least we got a complete team and all finished. Just awaiting the results now...

dangie

Established Member
You get roped into the Midland Counties 12 Stage Road Relays at Sutton Park, Birmingham because your running club is short on numbers. I was the oldest in our men's team by a country mile (I'm 61). Boy, was I glad to finish, having last competed there nearly eight years ago.
At least we got a complete team and all finished. Just awaiting the results now...
This reminded me of my running ‘career’. I took part in the UK National Cross Country Championships in 1992. I was just an average club runner. Compared to you I was a youngster at just 41 :)

My lasting memory is being lapped by the winner Eamonn Martin :frown:

4COR

Ah, see, I think I've managed to naff up my knee just digging the allotment at the weekend - suspect I have a meniscus injury that I've suddenly made a hundred times worse than it was already. And that's even before I think about running (and I used to run a lot!) - definitely getting old (not even reached midway in 40s yet..).

Last edited:

Pinza-C55

If you remember when listening to Radio 2 was usually an indication that you were over 45 and wore a cardigan and slippers.

Typhoon

Established Member
When the playlist was one guaranteed to hear the likes of Matt Munro and Val Doonican
Oh, come on. That was my dad and he died over half a century ago!

I'm sure I'm not the only pensioner who has discovered that there are all sorts of artists or bands that never really registered from our working years and think 'I want more'.
(I suppose having to endure Val Doonican in the rocking chair on a Saturday was acceptable for being allowed to watch Top of The Pops on a Thursday, even if the likes of Munro and Doonican might crop up there too).