• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You know you’re getting older when……

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PG

Established Member
Blimey Ashley, that puts you on a pedestal. Foil top piercing wasn’t even an option when I was at school but ringing the bell for break time or lunchtime was a real accolade.
Can't remember what I did to earn that privilege but it made a change from getting detention! Nowadays (is that even a word?) it makes me think they should have put this on the turntable :lol:

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Can't remember what I did to earn that privilege but it made a change from getting detention! Nowadays (is that even a word?) it makes me think they should have put this on the turntable :lol:
Crickey, twas ages ago that I stopped being able to sing that (badly ?) in the right key !.

johnnychips

Established Member
When you remember Judge Dredd! I just thought about him now. When I was 13, his records were never played on air, and merely listed on the chart programme. I never dared buy any of his records, but wondered why they were banned.

Turns out they were slightly risqué rhymes to a reggae rhythm sung by a fat bloke.

Dai Corner

Established Member
When you remember Judge Dredd! I just thought about him now. When I was 13, his records were never played on air, and merely listed on the chart programme. I never dared buy any of his records, but wondered why they were banned.

Turns out they were slightly risqué rhymes to a reggae rhythm sung by a fat bloke.
I bought them just because they were banned. I probably still have them somewhere, in mint condition as they were only played a few times.

Similarly with the Sex Pistols album.

Purple Train

Established Member
I had an example just before boarding my National Express coach on Friday evening.

The driver asked us to have our tickets ready for boarding. Nobody in front of me had any tickets, not even A4 printed ones. Everyone just showed him their mobiles for their "ticket" display.
I shall argue against that on the grounds that I refuse to use any form of mobile ticketing and I am most definitely not old ;)

Ashley Hill

Established Member

I remember Judge Dredd with Big 7 etc and so on. Very 70s but now sound so dated.

Gloster

Established Member
When you remember Andy Stewart, Kenneth Mackellar and Moira Anderson in the White Heather Club on BBC TV. (Cringe!)

You can still find Kenneth McKellar on the interweb-thingy, including singing The Ball of Kirriemuir. I bet they didn’t have that version on the White Feather Club. (It is wonderful, but not for the under-eighteens.)

dangie

Established Member
You can still find Kenneth McKellar on the interweb-thingy, including singing The Ball of Kirriemuir. I bet they didn’t have that version on the White Feather Club. (It is wonderful, but not for the under-eighteens.)
Kirriemuir…… The childhood home of Bon Scott the original lead singer of the rock group AC/DC. There is a statue of him in the town.

Gloster

Established Member
Freudian slip....or typo? :lol:

No. It is an old joke of one of my father’s acquaintances, though possibly not available to those who didn’t do National Service. And it is too complicated to for me explain, if I could. If somebody on this forum can explain it, please do.

Kirriemuir…… The childhood home of Bon Scott the original lead singer of the rock group AC/DC. There is a statue of him in the town.

And also the birthplace of J.M.Barrie, but not of David Niven, despite many sources claiming it is. (The claim may have been a joke by Niven that was not unconnected to the song.)

nw1

Established Member
When you remember Andy Stewart, Kenneth Mackellar and Moira Anderson in the White Heather Club on BBC TV. (Cringe!)

The "Donald Where's Your Troosers" guy?

Heard of him, but only thanks to the 1989 re-release. I guess even that makes me old nowadays, of course...

317 forever

Established Member
No. It is an old joke of one of my father’s acquaintances, though possibly not available to those who didn’t do National Service. And it is too complicated to for me explain, if I could. If somebody on this forum can explain it, please do.

And also the birthplace of J.M.Barrie, but not of David Niven, despite many sources claiming it is. (The claim may have been a joke by Niven that was not unconnected to the song.)
You know you're getting old when you know you can remember the song No Charge from J J Barrie :lol:

nw1

Established Member

I remember the cartoon Judge Dredd, but not the singer who I think was "Dread" with an "a".

However, I remember first seeing his records listed in the "British Hit Singles" book (Gambaccini/Rice/Rice) in the late 80s - but to this day I've still never heard them. They all seemed to be called "Big {n}", where n is >= 6. Not sure if Big 1-5 ever existed, though.

Obviously for reasons I can probably imagine, completely unsuitable for radio.

AM9

Veteran Member
I remember the WHC on TV every New Year's day immediately after midnight. I am so grateful for Jules Holland!

Benters

Funny you should mention Bon Scott. I was watching one of the old re-runs of Top of the Pops on BBC4 the other week.It was from February 1980 and it featured AC/DC performing 'Touch Too Much'. Two weeks after that performance Bon Scott was dead, having imbibed a 'touch too much '. Hard to believe he's been gone for 44 years now.

When you remember Anona Winn was a member of the panel on the "Twenty Questions" radio programme.
Similarly, you can just remember listening to Jack Di Manio presenting Today on the BBC Home Service. He was renowned for his inability to read the time.

AM9

Veteran Member
Similarly, you can just remember listening to Jack Di Manio presenting Today on the BBC Home Service. He was renowned for his inability to read the time.
Or Dickie Valentine singing the signature tune to the 'drive time' programme Roundabout (yes, Roundabout was the first drive time programme started in the UK in 1958, from 17:30 to 18:45 on the BBC Light Programme).

PeterC

Established Member
Freudian slip....or typo? :lol:
White Feather Club was a spoof on I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again.

Although remembering ISIRTA probably puts me in the old category too. (Especially as I can sing the Angus Prune Song too)

AM9

Veteran Member
You have my deepest condolences! :|
ISIRTA was great, by todays standards, quite non-pc, but a it was in some ways a parent of Python and The Goodies. I was too young when the Goons was in its heyday but Beyond Our Ken and Round The Horne was very much my kind of humour, (still is). In the '50s it was more Ray's A Laugh, Take It From Here, Life With The Lyons and Educating Archie, - all pretty naff, although I soon thought that a radio ventriloquist show was a pretty good scam if Peter Brough got away with it.

Killingworth

Established Member
Maybe some of us need a new thread "You know you are old when...."

I was just reminded of this old film marking the last days of Sheffield trams in 1961. I lived further north in those days but note new buildings going up in the 1961 film. I worked in one of them from 1983, it may be to let in the film. It was demolished and replaced about 10 years ago so barely lasted 50 years. See;

It gets worse. The Central Sheffield Fire Station was relocated, possibly late 70s? It can't have lasted 20 years before it went.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Maybe some of us need a new thread "You know you are old when...."

I was just reminded of this old film marking the last days of Sheffield trams in 1961. I lived further north in those days but note new buildings going up in the 1961 film. I worked in one of them from 1983, it may be to let in the film. It was demolished and replaced about 10 years ago so barely lasted 50 years. See;

It gets worse. The Central Sheffield Fire Station was relocated, possibly late 70s? It can't have lasted 20 years before it went.
Well, well. There was a bit of the old 1,500 Volt DC route there - I mean up on the railway !.

The video, and demise of trams, is all before my memory would have started holding such things. I don't remmeber steam either despite often being shown them passing at Bushey.

In the film plenty of old cars I remember - Morris Minors everywhere. And the odd Beetle !. Even a VW split screen (camper ?) van.

Right at the end I instantly recognised the driver gettng into a new Leyland Atlanteen bus. From 1965 onwards I must have travelled on the Atlanteens that Maidstone and District had so many times. The school busses were always the older buses with a nose at the front - I only remember waiting for them standing in the snow and then getting on as near the front as possible for the heat.

Thanks for posting.