• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

You wait for a supercar, then 3 come along...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
2 miles and 50 years away from the Longmoor Milita
Clearly I'm in the wrong profession.

Having moved to sleepy 'Ampshire last year, I'm far more used to seeing tractors than supercars. But it seems the neighbours have traded in their Nectar Points. In the past few days, my local roads have been privy to 2 McLaren MP4-12Cs and a Bugatti Veyron.

Swoon. Sigh...

So, who else here has neighbours with "nice toys"?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

deltic1989

Established Member
I regularly see a Bugatti Veyron and a Lamborgini Diablo round my way.
Plus having Ferrari / Maserati and Porsche Dealerships just down the road helps the supercar sightings massively.

HST Power

Established Member
Range Rover's, BMWs and Porsche's are very popular are in my part of town. Not exactly supercars, but still nice luxury cars, with a good dose of power should you need it!

We've had a good run of cars in our family. Currently doing the rounds, we've got a BMW M5 and a Jaguar XK.

I wouldn't buy a Bugatti though. Give me a Lamborghini any day!

Butts

Veteran Member
Here in Falkirk we have regular sightings of Trabants, Lada's and clapped out Vauxhall Corsa's :p

Established Member
Edinburgh has quite a few supercars around. There are three Ferrari 458s that I know of (there was a fourth, but the guy crashed it into an X5 a week after it was delivered), a couple of 599s and Californias, there's also a few 360s and 430s about, a couple of Gallardos, a Murciélago, I think there's at least one MP4-12C, a couple of SLSs, a load of 911s, two or three NSXs, Quite a few Astons, and so on.

I think my favorite of the high performace cars around town has to be the metallic blue E39 M5 I see every now and again.

Butts

Veteran Member
Edinburgh has quite a few supercars around. There are three Ferrari 458s that I know of (there was a fourth, but the guy crashed it into an X5 a week after it was delivered), a couple of 599s and Californias, there's also a few 360s and 430s about, a couple of Gallardos, a Murciélago, I think there's at least one MP4-12C, a couple of SLSs, a load of 911s, two or three NSXs, Quite a few Astons, and so on.

I think my favorite of the high performace cars around town has to be the metallic blue E39 M5 I see every now and again.

Have you been driving around Muirhouse or Niddrie ? :lol:

Trainfan344

Established Member
There is a working example of a trabant at the East Anglia Transport Museum.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I regularly see a Bugatti Veyron and a Lamborgini Diablo round my way.
Plus having Ferrari / Maserati and Porsche Dealerships just down the road helps the supercar sightings massively.

I once paid a visit to the Graypaul dealership with a former acquaintance who was in the market for a Maserati (not the sort of persion I usually keep company with!) - to say I felt out of place there was an understatement. I also managed to set off the alarm on one of the display models :oops:

I had a great time there, though - drooling all the way around!

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Give me a Lamborghini any day!

Seconded. Even though Audi has Lambo's purse-strings, the design team comes up with the goods (nearly) every time. That's why I collect 1:18 models of 'em. The Aventador J, the Reventon (hardtop and Roadster), the Veneno currently on order. It's the closest I'll get to automotive exotica in my lifetime...

Ivo

Established Member
Some of you have seen Veyrons...?

The best I can claim is the large number of Porsches that seem to be everywhere in Bath. Plenty of Jags, and Mercs are so common they aren' considered special at all here - even the taxis are often Mercs. There are also a few Lotus Elises around.

Oh, and the odd fake Ferrari. As well as numerous real ones.

Drsatan

Established Member
Where I live, I haven't seen any Veyrons live (despite living in a town which many would consider well-heeled), but Range Rovers are practically ten a penny, and I've seen quite a few Aston Martins, especially DB9s. On several occasions I have seen a dark blue DB7 convertible parked in the same location.

I've also seen a few Ferraris, including a 458. I've also seen a DeLorean in Winchester a few years ago, but unfortunately it didn't take off and fly (funnily enough the car was stuck in traffic, so no doubt the owner wished his DeLorean could do just that ;) )

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
All I see is tons and tons of vauxhalls due to a lot of the townspeople working at the factory.

Someone down the port does own an Aston Martin though, if you can hear something bombing it down Whitby road you know what it is!

gnolife

Established Member
All I can say is that if an owner of any of these cars took it to my hometown, they would become the ex-owner of that can

Crossover

Established Member
One of our ex neighbours (we moved house last year) used to have an Audi RS4, which was a bit different from other vehicles in the area.

They actually ended up with another later, after the first one did get stolen (not whilst he was round our area)

Most recently they had an Audi S4 (which I got to go in a few years back) - not that it stopped people trying to get in to the garage to take it :(

The one that always gets me is arriving in Germany where a fair few of the taxis tend to be Mercs and other high end German vehicles

Class172

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Some of you have seen Veyrons...?

The best I can claim is the large number of Porsches that seem to be everywhere in Bath. Plenty of Jags, and Mercs are so common they aren' considered special at all here - even the taxis are often Mercs. There are also a few Lotus Elises around.

Oh, and the odd fake Ferrari. As well as numerous real ones.
The only times I have seen Bugatti Veyrons were at the Top Gear Live shows at the NEC.

In Droitwich there seems to be a higher than average number of Aston Martins, Jaguars and Bentleys. There is also one Lamborghini Gallardo somewhere nearby which I keep seeing in the Waitrose car park.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
Well, from all your responses, we have two distinct groups: the desirable but still practical high-performance cars - and the full-on ridiculous supercars. Like many of you, actually owning a supercar does not appeal to me (so, by not having a spare million to buy & run one, I don't feel I'm missing out). My current toy is no M5-eater but it's swift enough to put a grin on my face.

Oh, Ivo, in answer to your question "some of you have seen a Veyron?" - when I've seen 'em on TV, YouTube, etc, I wasn't much bothered by 'em. But seeing and hearing one in the (carbon) flesh.... O. M. G.

HST Power

Established Member
If I had the money, I'd get a Lamborghini Murcielago. I'd get an Audi or a BMW for luxury/practical needs. I'd also buy a Range Rover. That would be fine for me. :D

Butts

Veteran Member
If I had the money, I'd get a Lamborghini Murcielago. I'd get an Audi or a BMW for luxury/practical needs. I'd also buy a Range Rover. That would be fine for me. :D

What about a Mini Cooper for "around town" and a big Garage to keep them all in :p

GearJammer

I came up the M3 from Hampshire on i think Wednesday evening, was overtaken by a nice little convoy consisting 3 Aston Martins and a Ferrari, all on channel island plates.

Ivo

Established Member
Has anyone ever seen a Koenigsegg? I would love to own one of those one day but it's not going to happen...

Speaking a bit more realistically, I would also like to own an M5 (or whatever might replace said model in years to come) when I'm older and hopefully have £50K or so to splash. Fanciful yes, impossible - no.

Sun Chariot

Established Member
The M5 is, I agree, a benchmark car. Personally I am put off by its cabin noise and very unforgiving ride. In my view, a better compromise is BMW's Alpina B10 (5-series in E39 classic shape) - with supreme torque and a comfortable ride too). Only 250 or so were registered in the UK, so a bit of exclusivity with it - and rarer than AMG spec'd Mercs.

Established Member
The M5 is, I agree, a benchmark car. Personally I am put off by its cabin noise and very unforgiving ride. In my view, a better compromise is BMW's Alpina B10 (5-series in E39 classic shape) - with supreme torque and a comfortable ride too). Only 250 or so were registered in the UK, so a bit of exclusivity with it - and rarer than AMG spec'd Mercs.

I'd love an E39 B10, but it'd have to be a touring in Alpina Green. Probably the 3.3 rather than the V8, and definitely a manual.

richw

Veteran Member
There is a lad round here who was a year below me at school (I turned 25 in march) driving around in a Lamborghini.

Status
Not open for further replies.