• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your Favourite and Least Favourite Musical Era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bevan Price

Established Member
For me. most music started circa 1963. The guitar bands, the singer/songwriters, then psychedelia, progressive rock, etc. Since then, there has always been similar music available, although frequently ignored by many radio stations that have not progressed beyond the "two short songs followed by an ad break" concept (or on BBC, the "ads" are more likely to be "programme trails or irrelevant chat".).

So - no single period that is my favourite, but quite a few spells when it has been harder to find anything I like.

I forgot to answer the part about "least favourite". Well, I found little of interest before the early 1960s. "Big Band" & "Jazz"" I mostly disliked. There were a few exceptions - early rock singer like Elvis, Dion, Del Shannon, etc. and some folk / country / ballad artists (e.g. The Springfields, Johnny Cash, etc.) - but not the slushy sentimental side of country music.

Much of the "modern" pop is something I find boring. Anything that slavishly follows a "near-identikit" formula is awful, and I have a low opinion of those who "pinch / sample" bits of the music of more talented people rather than create something new & original. And melody is important to me, rather than incessant repetition of loud rhythms (computerised drum sounds, etc.)

So - good luck to anyone who likes them, but to me, things like rap, trance, dance, etc. are "switch off" time for me. I admit - there are exceptions, not everything is dire - but they are very much in the minority.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.