• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite journey(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

56105 working 1630 Euston-Glasgow from Preston to Oxenholme in March 2001 is a journey that I will never forget.

Having 37012 on the coast on 24th Dec 1998 & 47287 in Feb 2002 from New St to Preston on 1S52 complete my top 3 journeys.

David

Established Member
Tough choice ....

I've done the Highland Mainline both ways in a HST, stunning scenery,
55022 York - Edinburgh and back.
50031 Crewe - Cardiff via the Marches.

Normally, 1 of those would be my top journey, but all that changed on Saturday.

I never thought I would say this but ....

My top journey was on Saturday lunchtime, when I went to Grimsby (!?!) to visit my new girlfriend for the first time.

Worst journey was on Saturday evening, when I caught the last train home :(

Last edited:

Bittern

Established Member
Time for an update.

Glasgow - Inverness reigns supreme here because of the amazing scenery. I did it again last weekend on 170 432 and it was just great watching the mountains and glens go by while being able to relax and enjoy a refreshing cold drink. I got off at Aviemore for my next favourite.

The Strathspey Railway to Broomhill comes in next. I was fortunate enough to get Caley 828 again going by beautiful scenery likes off mountains and countryside etc. Plus being able to catch some fresh air while doing so = win.

Oh and once again the National Rail Enquires says that the 07:06 GLQ - INV has no trolley service, and once again, the one I got did have a trolley service.

http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=34742

Foxhound

My top journey was on Saturday lunchtime, when I went to Grimsby (!?!) to visit my new girlfriend for the first time.

Worst journey was on Saturday evening, when I caught the last train home

Been there a few times, David, (including TwinTanks to Brum on the Night Scot to see a nurse I was dating 20-odd years back:oops:), though latterly it was a plane to Edinburgh, not a train...

The ascent of Largin bank (in Cornwall, kiddies!) with a Thousand or a Peak on the front has always been a trip that impressed me, will soon be doing that behind a Bodysnatcher after ales in the Dolphin one evening in August. I doubt the auditory entertainment will be half as good, somehow.:roll:

Am at the West Somerset on Saturday for the Hymek. Now that is a win, every time.<D

scotsman

Established Member
Crianlarich to Oban is awesome, scenery-wise and the drivers are pretty class.

Looe branch amazed me too.

But surely the Crowning Glory has to go to the Highland Mainline.

Drsatan

Established Member
A few more:

Gloucester to Cardiff Central on a 170.The train hugs the left bank of the river Severn as far as Severn Tunnel Junction before joining the GWML

Weymouth to Bristol TM on the 13:10 Weymouth-Gloucester on 19 July. Even if it was a 150 with almost no legroom

Brighton to Ashford International on a 171 in July 2006.

leewoods60019

My favourite journey has to be Manchester Airport - Huddersfield

The reason being: my first ever first class travel and I did an intresting route of 'terminus - terminus - huddersfield' from a terminus to man picc terminus then to huddersfield. I enjoyed the journey after a long day in crewe heritage centre!

Established Member
I have been watching this thread and keep thinking about what to put down as my favourite journey - there are so many and, with me, it also depends on what type of train is used as that adds to (or detracts from) the experience IMO.

Favourite UK journeys include:
Settle & Carlisle
Cambrian coast
West Highland
Inverness - Kyle of Lochalsh
(never done the last two on anything other than loco hauled stock, and intend to keep it that way <D)

Rest of Europe
Itzehoe - Westerland (Germany)
Bonn - Mainz, via left bank of Rhein (Germany)
Arth Goldau - Chiasso (Switerland / Italy)
Almost all the RhB system (Switzerland)
Arlberg route (Austria)
St Pölten - Mariazell (Austria)
Lunz am See - Kienberg Gaming (Austria)
Leon - Bilbao (Spain)
Pajares pass (Spain)
Douro Valley (Portugal)

That is just a selection :lol:

scotsman

Established Member
Perth - Oban - Dundee by Class 37. Did it on Saturday, was immense!:D:D

route101

Established Member
Has to be Glasgow to Fort William .
Others i like are the Glasgow to Ayr , love it past Irvine with Arran as a backdrop.
Glasgow via Shotts to Edinburgh . Love this one , surprised me .

DiscoStu

Anywhere in the world, it would have to be Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh City in Vietnam.

In Europe, it would have to be Athens to Thessaloniki, especially being hauled by A-468 .. the loudest loco that ever "lived"

Any Permitted

I love it when the GEML is coming out of Manningtree towards Norwich and it crosses that estuary and then there's the demolished factories that are awesome but the route as a whole isn't that exciting.

The Cambrian Line between Dovey Junction and Pwhelli is nothing short of spectacular. The only drawback is the seemingly never-ending parade of unpronounceable stations meaning it takes millennia to get to Pwhelli.

At_traction

Any LUL deep level in-tube route in high summer, preferably with rush hour + luggage infestation on. Beats sauna. And nice views too. :idea:

Otherwise:
Bonn - Ahrbrück
Glasgow - Carlisle w/ Class 390
Bristol - Portsmouth, comfortably p*ssed
Kajaani - Kuopio, any weekend leave train 1990-91

AndyJB

You urgently need to explore some scenic lines!;)
In all fairness, the title of the thread is 'Your favourite journey(s)' - a line doesn't have to be senic for it to be someone's favorite. To many it is/was the anticipation of what was at the destination, or perhaps the loco that peformed the duty, that made the journey a 'favorite'.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
The Cumbrian Coast (Arnside-Workington's the best); Dingwall-Kyle; Dingwall-Wick; Liskerad-Looe; Durham-Edinburgh on the ECML; Shotton LL-Colwyn Bay is OK; Dovey Jn-Pwllheli; Oxenholme-Penrith is OK; but far and away, by a country mile, is Helensburgh Upper-Malliag, it isn't even in the same solar system as the below. I would happily do the above on a ny rolling stock past or present, except a 390 :D. I also enjoy just bog-standard countryside, so Bristol TM-Barnt Green, Salisbury-Exeter Central, the Norfolk Branches, Sleaford-Skegness and Matlock-Duffield I all enjoy too :D

4SRKT

Established Member
Craigendoran > Fort William, Shrewsbury > Pwllheli, Ayr > Stranraer, Mallow > Tralee, Waterloo > Salisbury (but only for the traction in the days of 50s on the expresses and 33s on the semi-fasts), Middlesbrough > Whitby, Bray > Greystones (in the days of leaning out of the window through the tunnels between the precipitous cliffs: the experience is simply not the same in a DART).

This year a definite addition to these for me has to be the fabulous Welsh Highland Railway.

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Is there anything nice in either Northern or Rep of Ireland? I know Coleraine-Londonderry is meant to be one of the best in the world, but is there anywhere else?

4SRKT

Established Member
Is there anything nice in either Northern or Rep of Ireland? I know Coleraine-Londonderry is meant to be one of the best in the world, but is there anywhere else?

Coleraine > Londonderry is pretty good, but hardly one of the best in the world. The section of the Larne line from Downshire northwards is very nice as it hugs the coast, and runs on some quite lengthy causeways across large inlets. Especially good as the line is run almost exclusive by ageing DEMUs (if you get the last surviving 80 class set it allows you to lean out of the windows for extra appreciation). The cross-border section south of Portadown as far as Dundalk is pretty nice too, with some serious gradients.

In the Republic the branch from Mallow to Tralee is really gorgeous. The coastal route from Dublin to Rosslare is also very nice, and seriously spectacular between Bray and Greystones where the line climbs up to a narrow ledge high up on the cliffs and runs through about five tunnels.

I'll have to agree with you there, Dublin-Rosslare is a really nice line. The DART section of the line around Killiney is pretty impressive, and further on down the line the countryside was quite pleasant. The street running section at a place I can't remember the name of was also quite good!

The Larne line is also suprisingly scenic. I didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. The section of line that passes through a big factory complex is bizarre!

4SRKT

Established Member
I'll have to agree with you there, Dublin-Rosslare is a really nice line. The DART section of the line around Killiney is pretty impressive, and further on down the line the countryside was quite pleasant. The street running section at a place I can't remember the name of was also quite good!

The Larne line is also suprisingly scenic. I didn't expect it to be as nice as it was. The section of line that passes through a big factory complex is bizarre!

That's Kilroot Power Station. It makes the thrash of the DEMUs echo superbly as they power through :) It reminds me a little bit (although it's a pale imitation) of trains going through the middle of Manvers Coking Plant at Wath on the line between Normanton and Rotherham via Cudworth, sadly no more.

The on-street running is in Wexford, along the quayside. It's a bit like an Irish Weymouth Quay - used to be really great in not-too-distant-past of loco haulage when you could lean out ((((2 x 121 class + steam heated coaches))))

Last edited:

oldrailman

A couple of my favourites have to be-
North Wales line from BHM to holyhead behind a 37. Don't think you can do it now, but I've got various trips on DVD to savour.
Inverness to Kyle. Best when it was loco-hauled, but I've done it since on Sprinters. Still a classic scenic route.
For sheer performance, I recall some great runs up the WCML to Glasgow behind 86/87.
:lol:

Moog_1984

For me it is just the little stretch Garelochhead to Arrochar and back, which if there is a bashers heaven, I will do backwards and forwards in eternity ( with trips up the mountains requiring no effort with the swedish girl scouts at the top)

If I go to hell it would be this but .....with 27s........

Hydro

Established Member
So far it's the entirety of the West Highland Line, riding up front on 950001, in glorious sunshine.

Status
Not open for further replies.