• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your favourite seaside terminus UK station (and town)

yorksrob

Veteran Member
The SW coast path runs betwen the railway and the sea. I have never been but I think you can see into Longrock from the path.

Yes, you get a very good view of it !

A plus when arriving there is that if, on exiting the front of the station, instead of going down the hill dead ahead of you to get to the centre and the beach, you go down the parallel road slightly to the right (Surrey Street), then 100 yards down (just before the road curves round to join back into the main route) there's a nice pub called the Evening Star. It's quite historic and rather friendly, and always with a new selection of interesting beers whenever I'm in town.

Yes, that's a good'un.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Rescars

Established Member
Another vote for the joys of Brighton and the liveliness and look of the station. (Only downside is that they hid the ticket office some years ago.)

A plus when arriving there is that if, on exiting the front of the station, instead of going down the hill dead ahead of you to get to the centre and the beach, you go down the parallel road slightly to the right (Surrey Street), then 100 yards down (just before the road curves round to join back into the main route) there's a nice pub called the Evening Star. It's quite historic and rather friendly, and always with a new selection of interesting beers whenever I'm in town.
It occurs to me that, if we are allowed to include the Volks Electric Railway, Brighton has three termini - and two of them are on the beach!

Requeststop

I really like Cromer, but the railway station is extremely basic. A little better than Sheringham (also a very nice town) but that's because Sheringham is as basic a railway station as it can get.

Probably the best combination of decent station and decent town is going to have to be Scarborough.

I don't share the love on this thread for Whitby - possibly because the rail service is so rubbish, possibly because it is hard to get around the narrow pavements when almost everyone seems to be in a buggy or have some sort of walking aid or dog (or both), but also the last time I was there the lack of (non-extortionately priced) public toilet facilities irritated me, especially as that leads to bossy signage everywhere about not having public toilets here and also about having alleys being covered by CCTV etc. No proper cinema in the town either.

Or indeed St Ives, which tends to rub me up the wrong way with narrow streets and too much road traffic trying to use them. I've never enjoyed a trip there, and I've tried a few times.
Yes crowds and traffic in seaside resorts with narrow historic streets is a bore and it's a bore for we residents too. Tourists seem to forget that people actually live, work and run businesses in these towns and even though a place like St Ives, which as I said in my earlier posting were born, bred and lived there, even though there is a large Park and Ride at St Erth for tourists to leave their cars out of the town we locals still have to have access to our properties. Sorry but it's a fact of life, even though some locals who get frustrated by angry and annoyed tourists who have to move out of the way, joke about putting on cow-catchers to brush away the "emmets" on our cars and trucks. We do have to get around our home towns.

Highview

I'm a fan of stations that are really close to a beach, so I would choose Cooden Beach and Chalkwell. Margate is also not far away from the sea. Not terminus stations but all three have decent buildings and some facilities.

Krokodil

Established Member
Yes crowds and traffic in seaside resorts with narrow historic streets is a bore and it's a bore for we residents too. Tourists seem to forget that people actually live, work and run businesses in these towns and even though a place like St Ives, which as I said in my earlier posting were born, bred and lived there, even though there is a large Park and Ride at St Erth for tourists to leave their cars out of the town we locals still have to have access to our properties. Sorry but it's a fact of life, even though some locals who get frustrated by angry and annoyed tourists who have to move out of the way, joke about putting on cow-catchers to brush away the "emmets" on our cars and trucks. We do have to get around our home towns.
Perhaps St Ives should take a leaf out of Zermatt's book.

PeterC

Established Member
This looks like a list of every seaside termini in England now! So, which ones are not on someone on here's favourite terminus - everyone has a veto..

Anyone want to veto Sheerness?
I'll veto the suggestion of Aberystwyth, mainly because the thread title specifies England

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does Lakeside count?
Possibly not. It's next to Windermere rather than the coast (which is, I reckon, several miles away) isn't it?
I'm a fan of stations that are really close to a beach, so I would choose Cooden Beach and Chalkwell. Margate is also not far away from the sea. Not terminus stations but all three have decent buildings and some facilities.
Might be an argument for Margate being used as a terminus station for some services, but the other two, no.

MikeWM

Established Member
I'd agree with Lymington (the town, not the station).

I'd also agree that Penzance station is 'special' in that I always feel I'm at the start/end of the entire British rail network when standing by the buffers. Obviously technically that applies to all terminal stations, but I tend not to think about it that way. Whereas at Penzance, I do. As for the town, I'm fairly indifferent, I need an overnight stay at some point. Maybe something for later this year.

--

(Cleethorpes station) The pub is decent enough!

Never tried it; I should be visiting Cleethorpes again in the next few months (trip delayed from last year) so I'll give it a go, thanks :)

--

Yes crowds and traffic in seaside resorts with narrow historic streets is a bore and it's a bore for we residents too.

Oh, I totally agree. I lived in central Cambridge for many years and, other than the 'seaside' bit, encountered all these issues daily. One of the reasons I eventually moved out to Ely.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I'd also agree that Penzance station is 'special' in that I always feel I'm at the start/end of the entire British rail network when standing by the buffers.

Yes, it does have that feel, doesn't it? Only other place I've been to that does is Wick.

Indeed, Penzance to Wick would be your ultimate railway epic!

GatwickDepress

Established Member
My hometown is Hastings, so I'm a little biased towards it as one of my favourite seaside termini - a lot of services do terminate there, so I'm counting it as a terminus.

The cutting on one side together with semaphores and working signal box give the station a more bucolic feel than most other seaside resorts, and stepping out of the station to see the castle ruins up on the cliffs and the 'Welcome to Hastings' message daubed on the side of the Seadog pub always reminds me why I love the town. Obviously, the new station building isn't as grandiose as the much-missed Southern Railway structure, but it's certainly not soulless with its yellow stone and blue glass. From a more practical perspective, the bus stands are right outside and it's a short walk to the town centre and beach. Pity about the derelict eyesore that is Queensbury House, but word is the owners are actually starting the long journey to convert it into flats.

Oh, and I do love how each line has its own character. A slow jaunt through the wetlands of Kent on the Marshlink, snaking through the laborious High Weald terrain to Tunbridge Wells, or enjoying the sea views and a quick glance at the St Leonards depot on the East Coastway.

Brighton was mentioned before, and the view from the London Road Viaduct is as amazing on the hundredth journey as it was on the first. It really feels like a proper terminus too, a little Victoria as someone called it on this thread.

Rescars

Established Member
Brighton was mentioned before, and the view from the London Road Viaduct is as amazing on the hundredth journey as it was on the first. It really feels like a proper terminus too, a little Victoria as someone called it on this thread.
Just a shame it's no longer possible to enjoy the same view by taking the short trip to Kemp Town.

Mikey C

Established Member
Weymouth wins for me, for the combination of place and train service.
Brighton gets a tick for its incredible train service and attractive station.
Looe for the lovely journey and place, even is the station is a bit basic.

Was in Exmouth a few weeks ago, a nice place. Can't remember if Seaford has been mentioned, not the most exciting place but the start of the Seven Sisters walk.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Of thise i have visited, Eastbourne but I do like Brighton too. Eastbourne is such a lovely town, which is why it gets my vote. The town veing more important than the station. It is a nice station though.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
Never tried it; I should be visiting Cleethorpes again in the next few months (trip delayed from last year) so I'll give it a go, thanks :)

There's actually two real ale pubs on Cleethorpes station, imaginatively named No 1 & No 2. From memory No 2 is tiny but has a greater range of real ale and No 1 is more of a music bar.

Thebaz

I have fond memories of Paignton as a child, though I haven't been there for so many years I don't know what the town is like these days.

Established Member
Saltburn! Lovely small Victorian town, lovely pier and cliff lift.
Nice chip shop (Cat Nabs), and nice coastal walks along beach or along cliff tops towards Skinnigrove.
Also nice walks through the Valley Gardens.

zwk500

Veteran Member
Mentioned upthread by @prod_pep in post #87. Noted your comments, Seaford does seem a sleepy little place!
Seaford is a bit of a dump although it does have a nice old historic core from it's time as part of the Cinque Ports (limb of Hastings, IIRC), and an excellent chippy. The station though is not really loved and the line definitely has a 'former glory' feel to it, although there are plenty of points of interest from the train between Brighton and Seaford.
Of thise i have visited, Eastbourne but I do like Brighton too. Eastbourne is such a lovely town, which is why it gets my vote. The town veing more important than the station. It is a nice station though.
I actually prefer Eastbourne station to Brighton, because it's quieter so retains a much nicer feel to it and isn't worked so hard.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
@railfan99 - Rather than us trying to stick just to England we’ve edited the title slightly to make it a UK discussion now,

Carry on! ;)

Although the station no longer exists I would still nominate Ventnor.

Krokodil

Established Member
@railfan99 - Rather than us trying to stick just to England we’ve edited the title slightly to make it a UK discussion now,

Carry on! ;)

Where does the Isle of Man figure? It's not technically in the UK...

[/pedantry]I'd like to nominate Port Erin.

hermit

Carry on! ;)
In that case, Oban jumps to the top of the chart. Lovely town, constant ferry activity, and the station right on the harbour. Still a pleasant enough terminus, though of course not a patch on the former, much-lamented, Victorian building.

Rescars

Established Member
How about Kyle of Lochalsh? Splendid route, though granted not a major resort at the end of the line.