• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Your suggestions for the next Southeastern franchise

Status
Not open for further replies.

Train Maniac

If HS1 to Hastings happens it will be a frankly outrageous use of public funds!
Agreed
It would make far more sense (even if it is more expensive) to allieviate the curves on the Hastings Line and streamline services north of Sevenoaks (i believe the latter is already part of the plan).
That being said, the Marshlink line is in dire need of investment, so why not redouble some sections (dynamic loops i think they are called) and Southern get some of those bi-mode ex-319's that are in development?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Roast Veg

Established Member
The Hastings line doesn't just suffer from curves, the groundwork and tunnel construction has been a centuries old source of grief. The worst of the restrictions at Tunbridge Wells and Bo Peep Junction don't have any sort of solution that I can see unless you want to build a new line.

rdlover777

Here are my ideas for the next SE franchise even though they'll never happen (a man can dream right?);

Rolling Stock:

1. Full upgrade and refurbishment of the Networkers, putting them to the standard of the 375 refurbishment, including fitting universal toilets, painting them in the 375 full blue and possible fitting of a pantograph well.
2. Ordering full 12 car units, like the 395s or shortened 8XXs to run the HS1 domestic services along side the Javelins to sort out overcrowding.
3. Full deep clean and refurbishment of the 395 interior.
4. Upgrading the 376s with end unit gangways and upgrading the software to allow a 6th car added, fitting toilets and making them compatible with the 375s.

Routes:

1. Extending services to either Eastbourne or Brighton.
2. Extending HS1 services to Paddock Wood or Tonbridge.

Metal_gee_man

The problem with @rdlover777 suggestion is many of the Ashford to Ramsgate stations have short platforms, Wye, Chilham, Chartham and Sturry have 4 car platforms, Canterbury West has an 8 car platform and when the train stops at all but Chilham they sit over their respective level crossings (cause huge road delays), I know that 12 car 395s are required but the infrastructure will need to match it!
The 465/466s need a complete refurb yes, improved door yes, end walkways to help with passenger flow, yes and 25 years taken of their age (um were buggered there ditch em start again)
As it is the Hastings to Charing Cross service via Tunbridge Wells is hugely unreliable, whilst I accept adding better connections to Eastbourne or Brighton would be beneficial but by adding coastline work as well risks more unreliable services that are already pretty long already!
And as it recall Maidstone West was about to lose its HS1 services already they are never going to run them further down the Medway Valley to Tonbridge, maybe the proposed Marsh Link line being doubled electrified and 395s running to Eastbourne would appease your want for SE services to Eastbourne

tasky

If HS1 to Hastings happens it will be a frankly outrageous use of public funds!

What's bad about it? On the face of it, strategically Hastings having a faster commuter link to London could be a good way to take housing pressure off the capital and other commuter towns.

rdlover777

@Metal_gee_man while i agree with you, i was running under the logic of LO getting SE's metro routes and the 376s and networkers getting casaded to mainline routes, allowing the 395s to run via Folkstone Central with what ever 12 car units TOPS are running the bulk of Ashford - St Pancras

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
What's bad about it? On the face of it, strategically Hastings having a faster commuter link to London could be a good way to take housing pressure off the capital and other commuter towns.

It will, potentially, cost an awful lot of money, for a relatively small amount of benefit.

brad465

Established Member
If I've calculated correctly there are 854 carriages for metro stock at the moment with SE, from 376/465/466s. If the new franchise is replacing all of them over time, would it be sensible to have one fleet, with a few sub-classes for any variance, that totals 900-1000 carriages? There would need to be some serious storage expansion to make it possible, but if Plumstead was expanded over old Crossrail land (when that is eventually completed), part of Hoo Jct is converted, on top of Chart Leacon's existent Network Rail proposal, or other examples, then it could be possible. :idea:

1000 carriages would be 250 x 4 car units, with 100mph variants to support Electrostars in the same way 465/9s do/have done, and the carriage increase is necessary to support the capacity constraints currently present. Whether a new franchise would have the capacity issue at heart is another matter :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.