• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

YouTube formatting not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

backontrack

Established Member
Hi all.

When I try to look at an embedded YouTube video, all I get is a black rectangle.

Screen Shot 2016-08-14 at 16.46.21.png

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

richw

Veteran Member
[youtube]QI9k0EV69[/youtube]

Are you are posting the full YouTube url rather than just the QI9k0EV69 bit. The code is coming up as invalid though?

Sorry misread, thought you meant posting rather than viewing. Viewing is working fine, but the above YouTube code in your screenshot is invalid may not help!

Last edited:

Established Member
I've got this problem as well, using Google Chrome on my laptop.

backontrack

Established Member
For me it's still happening on a different laptop...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
...and on Microsoft Edge too, so it's not just Chrome (which I was using in my first post). Logging out doesn't stop it either...

Lrd

Established Member
I think it may have something to with YouTube moving over to HTML5 and Google moving away from Adobe Flash.

The forum software might still be trying to process it as Flash?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I think it may have something to with YouTube moving over to HTML5 and Google moving away from Adobe Flash.

The forum software might still be trying to process it as Flash?
That seems likely, I agree.

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
That's what's happening. Will have a look into whether there's an easy solution but I suspect not (in the immediate term ;) ) as the version of vBulletin we run is no longer officially supported other than for security updates. :)

richw

Veteran Member
Another forum I use has gone over to a newer version and it's awful to the point posts have dropped by around 90%!

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
That's what's happening. Will have a look into whether there's an easy solution but I suspect not (in the immediate term ;) ) as the version of vBulletin we run is no longer officially supported other than for security updates. :)

[RUMOURGENERATOR]So RailForkums UK is going to be discontinued along with Twitter in 2017???[/RUMOURGENERATOR]
:lol:

ac6000cw

Established Member
After some trial and error, this seems to work - tested on Chrome (Windows & Android), IE and Edge...

If the original YouTube URL is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGm0klp3uW0

then just put the last part, the video ID, (EGm0klp3uW0 in this case) between 'youtube' tags, like this:

[youtube]EGm0klp3uW0[/youtube]

...to get this on the page:

The embedded player seems to be HTML5 on Chrome and Edge, and Flash on IE (on my Win 10 PC at least).

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
After some trial and error, this seems to work - tested on Chrome (Windows & Android), IE and Edge...

If the original YouTube URL is like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGm0klp3uW0

then just put the last part (EGm0klp3uW0 in this case) between 'youtube' tags, like this:

(youtube)EGm0klp3uW0(/youtube)

but with the () replaced by []

...to get this on the page:

The embedded player seems to be HTML5 on Chrome and Edge, and Flash on IE (on my Win 10 PC at least).

That was always the way (FYI you can use noparse tags to hide formatting)

I've no trouble on Firefox on Linux. I don't have flash installed so they must finally be using HTML5

ac6000cw

Established Member
That was always the way (FYI you can use noparse tags to hide formatting)

I've no trouble on Firefox on Linux. I don't have flash installed so they must finally be using HTML5

Status
Not open for further replies.