• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zero-fare excess - applicable time restrictions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
I'm sure this has been done to death elsewhere, but I'd appreciate it if anyone could confirm whether or not I am understanding excesses correctly in the following context.

When a time-restricted ticket (Off-Peak or Super Off-Peak, whether Day or Month type) is excessed to a different route, which restrictions then apply to the ticket(s)? Is it the original restriction code? Does this apply even if a zero-fare excess is involved?

For example, with many flows where there are the two options of avoiding London with XC, and going via London with VTWC/VTEC/GWR/EMT/SWR etc., the prices are similar (with the XC ticket typically being a few pounds less), but the XC Off-Peak ticket typically carries blanket restriction 2V whereas the other operator's (Super) Off-Peak ticket carries a London Terminals specific restriction with no blanket restriction for trains which don't go to/via London.

Thus, if you zero-fare excessed, say, a (Super) Off-Peak 'via London' fare (with no restriction for trains avoiding London like XC) to a 'not via London' or 'any permitted' ticket (with a 2V restriction), would this keep the 'via London' ticket's restrictions? I appreciate that, even if this makes it technically valid to travel at any time, given that this is revenue-hungry XC we're talking about, there may be arguments and demands to excess the ticket to the Anytime ticket, at a considerable cost in many cases!

Thanks for any comments.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Muzer

Established Member
No. An excess converts one fare into another completely (with the exception that sometimes you can excess one portion of a return fare, in which case it effectively converts one of those portions into a portion belonging to another fare).

Status
Not open for further replies.