• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zones 1-6 travelcard with 7-9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Does anyone know of a way to get a AAA Zones 7-9 ticket?
I'll be on a zones 1-6 travelcard, I can use contactless, but I don't particularly want the faff of tapping in and out several times.

This is obviously for after the lockdown.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Does anyone know of a way to get a AAA Zones 7-9 ticket?
I'll be on a zones 1-6 travelcard, I can use contactless, but I don't particularly want the faff of tapping in and out several times.

This is obviously for after the lockdown.

That can't be done. They only do a Zone 1-9 day travelcard (and 4-9 travelcard for period use)

An inboundary 1-9 travelcard can be bought from a TfL station. Various "outboundary" travelcards from NR stations in Zones 7-9 (or beyond in some circumstances) (eg http://www.brfares.com/#faredetail?orig=SNF&dest=EUS&grpd=0035&rte=40232&tkt=ODT) can be bought with AAA Zones 7-9 included.

Last edited:

CyrusWuff

Established Member
It depends where you're starting from. If it's from outside the Travelcard Area then (apart from Watford Junction) it can't be done. If it's inside the Travelcard Area you either need to visit a Ticket Office or go online and ask for a Travelcard with any of the Met Line stations in Zones 7-9 as the origin. (If buying online, enter something like Amersham to Marylebone as the journey and it'll give the Travelcard in the results).

Unfortunately there isn't a separate Zones 7-9 ticket that you can buy to supplement an existing ticket, however.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Travelcards from Hertford East, Shenfield and Watford Junction t London Zones 1-6 are issued as AAA Zones 7-9.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It depends where you're starting from. If it's from outside the Travelcard Area then (apart from Watford Junction) it can't be done. If it's inside the Travelcard Area you either need to visit a Ticket Office or go online and ask for a Travelcard with any of the Met Line stations in Zones 7-9 as the origin. (If buying online, enter something like Amersham to Marylebone as the journey and it'll give the Travelcard in the results).

Unfortunately there isn't a separate Zones 7-9 ticket that you can buy to supplement an existing ticket, however.

I'm coming from the GWML.
I could buy an Amersham travelcard + a ticket from West Drayton I guess.
I'll just have to pray I won't be pulled up by the Paddington Gateline, when I try and use a fast service...

si404

Established Member
Trying to get a ticket to Amersham 15+ years ago (before I had an Oyster that meant I just used that for the London-Amersham leg as it was easier):

me: "Hello, can I have a return to Amersham please"
clerk: "Where's that?"
me: "Buckinghamshire"
clerk: <types away> "It's not in the database - are you sure it has a station?"
me: "of course, it is served by Chiltern Railways and London Underground"
clerk: "Oh, London Underground - what zone is it in"
me: "Zone 9"
clerk: <types away> "There is no zone 9 - it doesn't exist"
me: "yes it does"
clerk: "Well it's not here"
me: "Well it should be!"
clerk: "Is this a wind up?"
me: "No"

si404

Established Member
I'm coming from the GWML.
I could buy an Amersham travelcard + a ticket from West Drayton I guess.
I'll just have to pray I won't be pulled up by the Paddington Gateline, when I try and use a fast service...
Would a Great Missenden ticket work?

Could you get a ticket for your GWML journey and use Oyster for the leg to Amersham?

cactustwirly

Established Member

Could you get a ticket for your GWML journey and use Oyster for the leg to Amersham?

I could do but I won't get a Railcard discount since I don't have Oyster (only contactless). And it would be very inconvenient, as I'd have to exit at Moor Park to tap in and out.

CyrusWuff

Established Member

Travelcards from Great Missenden (and beyond) only include validity in Zones 1-6. Of course, it depends on how many journeys the OP intends to make in Zones 7-9 as to what the optimal ticket(s) would be.

cactustwirly

Established Member
Travelcards from Great Missenden (and beyond) only include validity in Zones 1-6. Of course, it depends on how many journeys the OP intends to make in Zones 7-9 as to what the optimal ticket(s) would be.

My idea was to go to both Watford (met) and Chesham.

si404

Established Member
And it would be very inconvenient, as I'd have to exit at Moor Park to tap in and out.
If you were simply travelling to zone 9, then the travelcard add-on vs a Paddington ticket is surely not less than £2.50 (the price of an off-peak single fare to Amersham/Chesham from zone 1 vs one from Moor Park). Thus this would be irrelevant.

I get that this is inconvenient (even without mucking about at Krap Room) - it's something that I spent several years in the 00s dealing with.
I meant buying an origin -> Missenden ticket and getting off early - is that allowed for journeys to Amersham/Chalfont/Chorleywood/Ricky?

island

Veteran Member
I meant buying an origin -> Missenden ticket and getting off early - is that allowed for journeys to Amersham/Chalfont/Chorleywood/Ricky?
It would work for those (assuming one did not double back) but not for Watford Met or Chesham, which are off route.

si404

Established Member
Off peak contactless fares:

Zone 1 -> Watford: £4.00
Watford -> Zone 9: £1.60
Chesham <-> Amersham: £1.50 (if you are doing this)
Zone 9 -> Zone 1: £4.10
total: £11.20

Moor Park -> Watford: £1.50
Watford -> Zone 9: £1.60
Chesham <-> Amersham: £1.50 (if you are doing this)
Zone 9 -> Moor Park: £1.60
total: £6.20

The origin->Z1-6 travelcard needs to be less than £5 (£7.20 if doing something in zones 1-6 beyond just getting to zone 7-9 - you'll likely hit the £13.30 Z1-9 cap) more than a Paddington ticket to be a saving, but you'd have get out and touch in at Moor Park - and you might view not having to do that as worth a small amount of money.

cactustwirly

Established Member
This is annoying, both tickets are less than £12, so I can't arrive into Paddington before 11 basically.
My ticket to the boundary of Zone 6 (West Drayton) is £6.45, and the travelcard from Amersham is £9.40.
A normal outboundary travelcard is £13, so if I'm travelling on a weekend this method is only £3 more expensive.

Bedpan

Established Member
I'm looking to do the same sort of thing for a day out (or at least I was). I'm not entirely clear where you can buy Zones 1-9 Travelcards though. I've seen them on sale at underground stations and other than at Underground stations. When JonathanH says they can be bought at an inboundary TfL station, is that just Underground and Overground plus stations on routes operated by TfL? What I'm getting at is, could I get one at say Elstree and Borehamwood? Alternatively if I go on line and buy a Travelcard from say Rickmansworth will that let me go anywhere in Zones 1 to 9 ie Shenfield, Watford junction and the like? And could I get into trouble if I am found to be using it at an earlier time than it would be possible to get to where I happen to be from the starting station?

Also, what does AAA mean?

clagmonster

Established Member
I'm not entirely clear where you can buy Zones 1-9 Travelcards though. I've seen them on sale at underground stations and other than at Underground stations. When JonathanH says they can be bought at an inboundary TfL station, is that just Underground and Overground plus stations on routes operated by TfL? What I'm getting at is, could I get one at say Elstree and Borehamwood?
Yes. From any BR booking office, including Thameslink, London Overground and TfL Rail, ask for a day Travelcard from, say, Amersham to London Zones 1-6. If the ticket vending machines do tickets from remote origins then they will also be able to manage. Underground passenger operated machines can also retail the ticket.

Alternatively if I go on line and buy a Travelcard from say Rickmansworth will that let me go anywhere in Zones 1 to 9 ie Shenfield, Watford junction and the like?
If will be valid anywhere within Zones 1-9, however note that Shenfield and Watford Junction are outside those zones. There are travelcards available that cover zones 1-9 and one of these special fare zones stations, however to the best of my knowledge they are only available from London Underground.

And could I get into trouble if I am found to be using it at an earlier time than it would be possible to get to where I happen to be from the starting station?
Not at all.

Also, what does AAA mean?
Also available at.

Bedpan

Established Member
Thanks for all the answers Clagmonster. yes, on taking a closer look I can see that between Watford High Street and Watford Junction you enter Zone 9 and then go out of the far side of it. Similarly whilst I had taken Epsom to be in Zone 7 (being beyond Zone 6 but still within the Oyster area, I take it that it is in fact outside the Zones and you can't go there using a 1 - 9 Travelcard.

si404

Established Member
Epsom is sort of in zone 9, though it’s not published.
Because they don't want people buying zone 1-9 travelcards (in the unlikely event they can!) due to being more expensive than Epsom+Z1-6 travelcards.

Western Sunset

Established Member
Is it still possible to legitimately travel between Ewell East and Ewell West via Epsom, if one has a Zone 1-6 Travelcard and doesn't leave the station at Epsom?

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Is it still possible to legitimately travel between Ewell East and Ewell West via Epsom, if one has a Zone 1-6 Travelcard and doesn't leave the station at Epsom?
Yes if the travelcard is on an Oyster card. You also won't be charged extra when using PAYG.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thanks.
What about a "normal" paper Zone 1-6 Travelcard?
I don't believe that's valid. When it's on Oyster you are allowed outside a travelcard providing you stick within the PAYG area and have credit to pay the excess charge. In the case of Ewell to Ewell via Epsom you won't be charged extra. I'd always advise having enough credit to be able to exit at Epsom in case that was necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.