• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zones 1-9 query

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Hi all,

Since the TfL website's not being even remotely useful for me any more, I'm having to request some assistance from those more knowledgeable than me!

On Monday, I'm going to be in place to do one of the PSUL moves that cover Rickmansworth Curve, staying in Watford at a Travelodge. However I have found the TfL website to be much less useful than it used to be, with no information on Travelcard prices being found. I might have missed it, but even a search on their website is proving fruitless.

What I'm after is three things:

1) Finding out how much an Off-Peak Zones 1-9 Travelcard is (I don't need Watford Junction, High Street is just fine), and how much the Anytime version is too.

2) My PSUL move of choice is one of the following: 0049 Watford to Rickmansworth or 0615 Rickmansworth to Watford. I don't think I can make it to Rickmansworth in time for the 0513 from Chesham to Watford. Is it even possible to get from Watford to Ricksmansworth in time for the PSUL move in the morning?

3) Apart from the Metropolitan line bits in Zone 9, is there any other areas I could explore a bit with a Z1-9 Travelcard?

There's a good chance more questions will follow before the trip to London on Sunday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Off-Peak Z1-9: £12.50
Anytime Z1-9: £21.00
If buying an Anytime one then for just 80p more you can have validity to Watford Junction.

These days the Off-Peak Day Travelcards only come in Z1-6, Z1-9 or Z1-9+WFJ versions, while Anytime Day Travelcards are in Z1-2, Z1-4, Z1-6, Z1-9 or Z1-9+WFJ versions. You need to look through the main fares list to find them and they are fairly hidden :roll: http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

The only additional validity gained by a Z1-9 over Z1-6 is at Carpenders Park/Bushey/Watford High Street (LO) or Waltham Cross/Theobalds Grove/Broxbourne (AGA)

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
You can use the Greenline 724 bus in the morning, obviously having to pay separately. There is a bus leaving Watford Junction at 0500 and arriving Rickmansworth at 0510, in time for the 0532.

The times shown on PSUL are now out-of-date. The latest WTT (Issue 335) gives the two trains over Watford North Curve as

Train 474 Chesham 0515 - Rickmansworth 0532 - Watford 0540

and

Train 404 Rickmansworth 0608 - Watford 0616.

Flying Snail

Established Member
Hi all,

Since the TfL website's not being even remotely useful for me any more, I'm having to request some assistance from those more knowledgeable than me!

On Monday, I'm going to be in place to do one of the PSUL moves that cover Rickmansworth Curve, staying in Watford at a Travelodge. However I have found the TfL website to be much less useful than it used to be, with no information on Travelcard prices being found. I might have missed it, but even a search on their website is proving fruitless.

What I'm after is three things:

1) Finding out how much an Off-Peak Zones 1-9 Travelcard is (I don't need Watford Junction, High Street is just fine), and how much the Anytime version is too.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares-jan-2014.pdf

£12.50/£21.00

Not sure where you were looking but that took 4 clicks from tfl homepage, although that was more luck than anything else. The current website is not very friendly for finding out basic information.

2) My PSUL move of choice is one of the following: 0049 Watford to Rickmansworth or 0615 Rickmansworth to Watford. I don't think I can make it to Rickmansworth in time for the 0513 from Chesham to Watford. Is it even possible to get from Watford to Ricksmansworth in time for the PSUL move in the morning?

Not by LU.
First trains off Watford are 05.29, 05.48.
First northbound is 06.04 Moor Park, 06.09 Rickmansworth
Rickmansworth - Watford are at 05.32 and 06.08 connection is -1.

The only other option is the first Greenline 724 of the day at 05.00 from Watford Junction which stops beside Rickmansworth station.

http://www.arrivabus.co.uk/uploadedFiles/Services/South_East/SEHA724_160411_110411.pdf

That is not a tfl route, oyster and travelcard are not valid.

Or you could walk, looks about 3-4 miles so around an hour at a good pace

3) Apart from the Metropolitan line bits in Zone 9, is there any other areas I could explore a bit with a Z1-9 Travelcard?

The only other area outside the normal 1-6 zones are the stations on the 2 GA lines to Cheshunt.

Edit: didn't update page before answering, 2 other night owls in before me.

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Wow you guys were up at silly hours! All information gratefully appreciated, especially finding out the PSUL times are out-of-date now. I can only hope there's engineering works on making use of the curve necessary at the weekend, would be much easier!

Looks like I've some researching to do ahead of Sunday, regarding things such as the fare on the 724, can't be more than a few quid surely. Might try and find my Oyster card for Monday for the bits outside Zone 6, then pick up a Travelcard from there.

As it's due to be warm this weekend and Monday the air con on the S stock will be most welcome!

I thought there was validity to Cheshunt on a Z1-9 Travelcard, glad to hear I wasn't wrong. Looks like I will be busy planning moves then, something to do on the slow drag to London then!

Thanks all for the help, be sure to keep an eye on my trip reports thread next week for details on how it goes. Bring it on I say, should be a brilliant bash :D

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
I take it it doesn't run anymore?

Either case last Easter it was a full weekend of the curve in both directions, could happen again, I certainly need it in the other direction, the non-PSUL way.

I'm waiting for either another engineering weekend or of course the Rickmansworth transport days and/or Steam on the Met which one of them, especially the first one, generally makes use of the curve anyway

Techniquest

Veteran Member
There is a 0029 Watford to Rickmansworth listed, but I found no option to get back to Watford from Rickmansworth without walking off that

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Apparently the 0029 from Watford still happens, it's on the timetable posters after all.

Also, for anyone else going for the 724 move, it's very expensive at £4.20 for a single from Watford to Rickmansworth! :o

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Also, for anyone else going for the 724 move, it's very expensive at £4.20 for a single from Watford to Rickmansworth! :o

Doesn't surprise me, buses in Hertfordshire are very expensive. It's £2.20 single for me into Hemel town centre, and that is barely a mile and a half.

Status
Not open for further replies.