• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zoo tickets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gathursty

Established Member
An upcoming visit to Blackpool Zoo made me think back to the time I used a Bache to Chester Zoo ticket to save a few quid (in the 2000s). I can't find any references to a ticket to either Chester Zoo or Blackpool Zoo any more.

Do such tickets exist anymore?

I do want to make the journey this month but might make a broader post on tourist attraction tickets as destinations historically and currently.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Certainly used to be through ticketing and onward leisure to various leisure attractions, all listed in Section C of the National Fares Manual 98 (Raillinks Manual) in 2008.

This included combined admission/bus transfer to/from Bristol Zoo (available as an add-on via Bristol Temple Meads), Chester Zoo (as an add-on via Bache), Whipsnade Zoo (as an add-on via Luton) and possibly Woburn Safari Park as well (as an add-on via Woburn Sands).

Can't see anything for Blackpool Zoo, just seem to be add-ons in the Blackpool area for the local buses/trams.

jamesst

There is a Chester Zoo ticket but it's done through alighting at Chester Station rather than Bache now.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
There used to be a through add-on ticket to Chester zoo. It included bus from either Chester or Bache and admission and allowed you to skip the ticket queues at the zoo.
However, there now appears no mention it. Chester zoo website tells you how you can get there by train and bus but is silent on there being an all-inclusive ticket, which it used to promote. Merseyrail website again promotes getting there and using a daysaver to travel, but no mention of through tickets. National Rail Enquiries says the offer expired in 2014!

Man of Kent

Most travel tickets that include admission to somewhere else (such as Chester Zoo) attract VAT, which pure travel tickets don't, and behind the scenes that is an extra administrative burden and cost. These complications are why the "show your rail or bus ticket and we'll give you a discount" approach is more common, as it avoids the VAT/non VAT split, but doesn't help avoid the queues @Deafdoggie describes.

L401CJF

Established Member
The Chester Zoo rail tickets were still in use back in 2015 at least when I worked at Stagecoach bus. As far as I know it only included the bus journey and not zoo entry.

The original arrangement was via Bache then route 1 to the zoo. It was changed around 2014? to alight at Chester and use the 32 park and ride instead. I think it ceased to exist when the park and rides were rerouted.

Funnily enough I did have a lady with child onboard my train last week who were going to Chester Zoo, as they were buying onboard I did have a search for fares to the zoo. Destination ChesterZoo+Bus or similar did come up, but no fares available.

blakey1152

Not a Zoo but Dreamland in Margate used to be an available destination. The tickets used to say Dreamland as a destination if I remember correctly and intending fun seekers would alight at Margate for the short walk to the theme park.
I believe the same ticket existed when the park was known as Bembon Brothers.

miklcct

On Moderation
Do such combined "train + zoo tickets" fall under the definition of package tour, as it involves 2 out of transport, accommodation, and attractions?

kieron

Established Member
Funnily enough I did have a lady with child onboard my train last week who were going to Chester Zoo, as they were buying onboard I did have a search for fares to the zoo. Destination ChesterZoo+Bus or similar did come up, but no fares available.
The Zoo&Bus and BusToZoo fares vanished in March 2020, and haven't been seen since. As you say, the location records are still there for them.

lyndhurst25

Established Member
There used to be combined rail and entry tickets for Cleethorpes Pleasure Island, up to when the amusement park closed in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.