• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zoom!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

HR2

Is it me or are rail speeds getting slower nowadays? On my recent very enjoyable trip down to London [thanks once again gents'] the trains both ways seemed be slower than in the past. This is reflected in timetables too. When the 225's were introduced under BR the fastest Newcastle/London journey was 2 hrs 54 minutes and the same viccy/verki. Now the fastest is over 3 hours. Why?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Slack times my friend, because trains are not reliable and nor is the network upon which they operate. Or so FGW would have you believe...

Nick W

Established Member
Not to mention more stops, perhaps to ease overcrowding over more trains or because of increase in development in the other of other stations.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Which is the case on the South Wales runs (the days of limited stops between Cardiff and London are gone forever) and on the Marches.

devon_metro

Established Member
It's not fGWs fault. It's a combination of old trains which they are refurbing and Network Rail sitting on their Arses all day. With the exclusion of Slash of course ;)

devon_metro

Established Member
It can't really be helped at the moment as most trains are being divereted either onto B&H or via Gloucester.

Craig

Established Member
When the 225's were introduced under BR the fastest Newcastle/London journey was 2 hrs 54 minutes and the same viccy/verki. Now the fastest is over 3 hours. Why?
The 05:50 from Edinburgh (07:18 from Newcastle) arrives into Kings Cross at 10:06 (stopping at Berwick, Newcastle and York) giving a Newcastle to London journey time of 2 hours 48 minutes. It used to arrive just before 10, but was re timed to improve reliability. Whenever I travel to London this is usually the train I travel on and it often sits out side Kings Cross for a few minutes having arrived early.

H

HR2

The 05:50 from Edinburgh (07:18 from Newcastle) arrives into Kings Cross at 10:06 (stopping at Berwick, Newcastle and York) giving a Newcastle to London journey time of 2 hours 48 minutes. It used to arrive just before 10, but was re timed to improve reliability. Whenever I travel to London this is usually the train I travel on and it often sits out side Kings Cross for a few minutes having arrived early.

Ajolopies Craig and all. When I go down to the melting pot I usually catch the first train south or a mid morning one that starts from N,cle so I would not notice that train. However there can't be too many that make such a good run. There used to be an 07:00 from N'cle that stopped at Durham and then non-stop to London. Used to amuse me for some reason to see a crowded York platform and our near-empty train sailed majestically past them. BTW I never ever knew this train to actually stop for anything other than the unforseen until it came to a stand in Kings Cross platform. Used to make me feel like royalty.

Craig

Established Member
However there can't be too many that make such a good run.
A quick look at the timetable shows a good handful that do Newcastle to London (or vice verse) in under 3 hours. Most take between 3 and 3 and a half though.

Status
Not open for further replies.