• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Zurich to Prague

Status
Not open for further replies.

72C

Thinking about making the journey from Zurich to Prague. The on -line timetables indicate that a bus journey is involved. Does any body have experience of this journey. Have considered going via Vienna but that does lengthen the journey.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
There's an OBB routeing via Linz which looks better than the 5-hour bus ride from Munich:
Zurich 0840 - Linz 1506 (Railjet 163)
Linz 1535 - Prague Hlavni 2039 (Rex 1542)

This is for a random date in July (€98).
I've done Munich-Prague via Vienna - very easy.
From Zurich you can just do it in a day but nicer to overnight in Vienna.
There are €39/29 fares on each leg. http://www.oebb.at/en/
You normally have to change stations in Vienna (Westbf to Meidling).

Veteran Member
Via Munich you don't have to use the bus. Specify "no bus" on the journey planner.

Either use the ALEX through service (loco-hauled with refurbished stock - unfortunately their cheap fares seemed to be returns when I last looked), or take the route via Bayerisch Eisenstein to Plzen - on the Czech side loco-hauled (diesel then electric).

I don't know if burns20 has done his trip this way yet?
http://railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=80897

Last edited:

gordonthemoron

Established Member
be warned, the ALEX trains are seriously uncomfortable and the buffet (which ain't v.good) is only between Munich & Regensburg (there is sometimes a trolley sometime therafter)

burns20

If you want cheap fares on ALEX book through cd.cz not the ALEX website.

Just getting round to typing up my travels but a welcome home present of a 61 hour week beckoned

TCDD

Sitting on the ALEX from Munchen to Prague right now. Very comfortable refurbished Czech compartment coaches and a Bistro car serving full meals attached throughout!

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Sitting on the ALEX from Munchen to Prague right now. Very comfortable refurbished Czech compartment coaches and a Bistro car serving full meals attached throughout!

That makes a change to when I did it in 2010, then there was v.limited buffet between Munich & Regensburg plus a trolley between Plzen and Prague. Also, the seating was so uncomfortable I could hardly walk afterwards

TCDD

Strangely there seemed to be two buffets. There was the 'Alex-Treff' at the rear with an uninspiring range of nothing very much (and which came off at Regensburg), and a proper Czech Bistro car, staffed but devoid of customers at the front! Things have certainly improved...

Status
Not open for further replies.