• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

LM 319 cascade progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Yet more overcrowding I expect.

I leave for a new job in Newcastle in a fortnight. I won't miss London Midland one little bit.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
See I don't have these issues at this end of the LM empire, they normally do a rather decent job on my route. So much better than we had it in Central Trains days!

Good luck in Newcastle!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Woop,another one I don't need, only two more to discover the IDs of before I inevitably find I need to go out again to clear the LM fleet again :lol:

causton

Established Member
Woop,another one I don't need, only two more to discover the IDs of before I inevitably find I need to go out again to clear the LM fleet again :lol:

Sorry to ruin your guesswork, but an old gen message from a mailing list:

"first London Midland class 319 is due to arrive at Bletchley on 19th June, 319429. The other three they are getting are 319013; 319216 & 319460. "

;)

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Sorry to ruin your guesswork, but an old gen message from a mailing list:

"first London Midland class 319 is due to arrive at Bletchley on 19th June, 319429. The other three they are getting are 319013; 319216 & 319460. "

;)

*Checks memo file of required 319s on phone*

013, dud
216, dud
429, dud
460, dud

Winner winner, Nandos dinner! If those ones are indeed the ones that come to LM (we'll soon see for sure) I've had them all before. I'll still enjoy a run with one, of course, but at least the LM fleet will remain cleared!

swt455

I know it's a very specific question, and I feel I already know the answer (unfortunately), but does anyone know if the 22.24 SX Euston - Northampton will transfer to 319 or 350? At present it's a really recommendable run: Euston, Watford, Hemel Hempstead, Berkhamsted, Leighton Buzzard, Milton Keynes Central, Wolverton and Northampton. No messing around and usually relatively quiet. Love getting a bit of 321 at speed on that presently. But I have a horrible suspicion it will revert to 350 operation once the 321s are gone :( any contrasting news would be greatly appreciated!!

Established Member
So presumably 013 locked onto the branch, 429/460 for a mainline diagram and (as unsuitable) 216 as spare?

LM take AGA's "crown" in deciding lower capacity is the way to go as passenger numbers go ever upwards into London then... Good luck to the people who attempt to get on at Harrow, a silly green 319 on Thameslink (my bit anyway) usually means people being left behind.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It does seem to be an odd spread from different sub classes rather than a block from one of them.

Might not be the final four though.

IIRC Northern have had some units for fitter and then driver training etc that won't be long term assets for the TOC.

Might not be the final four though.

IIRC Northern have had some units for fitter and then driver training etc that won't be long term assets for the TOC.

Northern have 319366/379 for training, but these are expected to be the last pair of the current/initial batch of 20 to be refreshed at Wolverton. Talking of which, no sign of 319375-378 emerging yet? The former pair been in works since early May, much longer than others. LM 319429 jumping the line?

Silverlinky

Anyone know who 319003 is for then? 429 took it into Wolverton depot a couple of weeks ago......
I had heard it was 003 for LM not 013

childwallblues

Established Member
Northern have 319366/379 for training, but these are expected to be the last pair of the current/initial batch of 20 to be refreshed at Wolverton. Talking of which, no sign of 319375-378 emerging yet? The former pair been in works since early May, much longer than others. LM 319429 jumping the line?

Northern do not need the extra units until the timetable change.

pemma

Veteran Member
Northern do not need the extra units until the timetable change.

Northern could switch the Lime Street-Warrington Bank Quay services over. However, using 319s on Liverpool-Preston services can't happen until the service is split in the October timetable change.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
you will want them back after a few weeks on a Northern pacer ;- ) Oh and Go ahead run most of the bus services in Newcastle

I was going to say that. LM is a pleasure compared with TPE, certainly. Yes, the Desiros are similar, but LM at least have broadly enough of them, and while a bit irritatingly incompetent at times they don't have the institutional arrogance of TPE nor the cheap-and-nasty approach of Northern.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I was going to say that. LM is a pleasure compared with TPE, certainly. Yes, the Desiros are similar, but LM at least have broadly enough of them, and while a bit irritatingly incompetent at times they don't have the institutional arrogance of TPE nor the cheap-and-nasty approach of Northern.

I don't find TPE that bad tbh - especially after peaks out of Euston - the trains are modern, fast (ish) comfortable etc just not long enough.

Northern do what they can with the cast offs no one else wants.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
I don't find TPE that bad tbh - especially after peaks out of Euston

Peaks out of Euston just require strategic choice of train and coach. There are some that are very much underused - the 1751 has one person per bay in the front 4, for instance, whereas if departing from platform 8 or 11 the best approach can be to turn back on yourself on entering the platform and go for the rear 2, as almost nobody else does, particularly off-peak. It can also help to take a slower train than you need to - anything stopping at Harrow and Watford is often near-empty after the latter, particularly if also serving Bushey. The "getting a seat" posters are very useful to give you an idea which to try.

I have a near 100% record of a seat, usually one of my choice (window side extra legroom airline seat, not too bothered if forward/rear facing).

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
I don't think LM "chose" 4 x 319s to replace 7 x 321s - as I understood it the leasing company told LM the 321s had to be returned ? Presumably the 319s were the only viable option open to LM

I didn't mean LM chose 319s, I meant they only chose to take on 4 of them, opposed to more.

I thought the full story was Scotrail tried to obtain some 321s. The Great Northern ones were off-lease so the ROSCO said "Yes. How many do you want?" However, Govia asked the ROSCO if the Great Northern 321s could stay put if LM released their 321s before the lease expiry date and the ROSCO saw that as a win-win.

A0wen

On Moderation
319s are going to have to go on some lines they've never been cleared for, unless you want to scrap them.

I'm not sure why LM's commuters - who already have relatively slow journeys from NMP & MKC should also see a notable deterioration in the quality of stock they have, when compared to what they currently have.

Especially when you compare the units / quality of service which will be on Thameslink in the next year or so and, indeed, the GN route.

The 350s came on stream after all the years of disruption with the WCML upgrade. The 319s would be a massive retrograde step.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I didn't mean LM chose 319s, I meant they only chose to take on 4 of them, opposed to more.

I thought the full story was Scotrail tried to obtain some 321s. The Great Northern ones were off-lease so the ROSCO said "Yes. How many do you want?" However, Govia asked the ROSCO if the Great Northern 321s could stay put if LM released their 321s before the lease expiry date and the ROSCO saw that as a win-win.

Were there more available for them to take on though?

My understanding was LM always envisaged having a full 350 fleet - they only kept the 321s because there weren't enough 350s.

user15681

Established Member
Anyone know who 319003 is for then? 429 took it into Wolverton depot a couple of weeks ago......
I had heard it was 003 for LM not 013

I had heard 216 is the next LM unit.

It should probably be noted that, along with the two already mentioned, 319013 is also at Wolverton.

319003 arrived 06/07/2015
319216 arrived 15/07/2015
319013 arrived 20/07/2015

Although, one of these looks like it could be heading to Northampton EMUD later (Edit - 319216). Also, my understanding was that 319003 was for GTR and 319013 for LM.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
What's the closest stock in terms of crew signing/familiarity to 319s of LM's existing stock?

319s / 321s should be confined to the Tring stoppers only.

Looking at the current LM timetable out of Euston, it looks perfectly logical to cover both the Tring and MKC services using 319s (presumably these are currently 350/2s plus a couple of peak extra 321s). Typical journey times of less than 45 mins and around an hour respectively - compatible with the majority of current journeys on Thameslink 319s, I'd have thought.

Off-peak, it looks like 7 diagrams can cover those services, with an extra 3 or 4 diagrams at peak times. 7x 12car formations, 3x 8-car plus a single for the St Albans branch could be covered by a fleet of 30 units, for example.

Out of all these swaps being discussed, I'd say the only justifiable complaint from passengers will be those using the Tring and MKC services, who would see a downgrade from an AC 350 to non-AC 319 on most services, although this could be tempered somewhat with the provision of more 12-car sets vice 8-car.

Although, one of these looks like it could be heading to Northampton EMUD later (Edit - 319216). Also, my understanding was that 319003 was for GTR and 319013 for LM.

Photos show 319216 at Northampton, which was also noted on Leighton Logs.

It is still in Southern livery. Transfer was indicated as 22nd July as 5Z20.

Status
Not open for further replies.