• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Trial of of paper receipts for tickets issued on board the train

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyNLondon

But a RFID tag that always emits the same code when interrogated would be vulnerable to being read by a suitable receiver and cloned (as I believe has happened with RF car keys).

And if anyone thinks that this is implausible or difficult to pull off, the kit to copy standard RFID tags can be bought on ebay for around £10. Anyone using a fixed-response RFID system (as opposed to smart cards which can do cryptographic cleverness, like contactless bank card or Oyster) for an application that needs to be secure is asking for trouble - they're not just vulnerable to being cloned, they're ripe for it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
No longer a trial, TPE has now started to decommission Avantix, and the first of the StarMobile machines are in use from today, starting with the revenue staff based at Huddersfield. I hope someone has a few rainforests going spare!

Attachments

• 20160621_145333.jpg
    20160621_145333.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 217
  • 20160621_145353.jpg
    20160621_145353.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 20160621_145339.jpg
    20160621_145339.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 178

HMS Ark Royal

Established Member
No longer a trial, TPE has now started to decommission Avantix, and the first of the StarMobile machines are in use from today, starting with the revenue staff based at Huddersfield. I hope someone has a few rainforests going spare!

How do you decommission one?

hairyhandedfool

Established Member

Typical that no-one has informed ticket office staff at Northern. Can I use these pictures to enlighten our staff please?

Edited because apparently guards got a one line email about a "test".

Last edited:

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares

They look quite good, I think. Interesting that they are using the BR Rail Alphabet font - maybe that's an anti-forgery feature. But I wonder what the "UTN No." is? And why is it in such large type when the actual ticket number is so tiny and barely noticeable, given there's so much space.

sonic2009

Established Member
I see that was a card payment made via contactless, good to see that times are moving ahead. Are these new machines on online or offline mode? As can imagine some places not having good signal.

BHXDMT

How... large.

The gubbins to the right of the QR code seems pointless, and just seems to make the ticket larger than it needs to be!

However, the information on the rest of the ticket and how it's presented looks good. I'm half impressed.

Brucey

But I wonder what the "UTN No." is? And why is it in such large type when the actual ticket number is so tiny and barely noticeable, given there's so much space.

Reading the barcode, it starts 06 then the UTN then some other characters.

Scanning a print-at-home ticket's barcode, it also starts 06 then has a number which is labelled "Customer Reference" then some other characters.

I think it's just some type of identification number for the ticket.

AngusH

Yes, this looks good. It's much better than the average (local) bus ticket.
Size and layout look good and it seems clear and easy to read.

Much better than I had expected actually. :)

Brucey

How... large.

The gubbins to the right of the QR code seems pointless, and just seems to make the ticket larger than it needs to be!

However, the information on the rest of the ticket and how it's presented looks good. I'm half impressed.

I would have thought that standard text could have been printed on the back of the ticket stock. Repeated every inch(ish) so it appears in full on every ticket produced.

Wallsendmag

Established Member
Reading the barcode, it starts 06 then the UTN then some other characters.

Scanning a print-at-home ticket's barcode, it also starts 06 then has a number which is labelled "Customer Reference" then some other characters.

I think it's just some type of identification number for the ticket.

Type 6 barcodes ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
.... Interesting that they are using the BR Rail Alphabet font - maybe that's an anti-forgery feature....

If there was a standard font on ticket stock these days that might work, but every machine seems to print differently so I doubt it's anti-forgery.

.... But I wonder what the "UTN No." is? And why is it in such large type when the actual ticket number is so tiny and barely noticeable, given there's so much space.

I'm guessing here, largely because I've not been briefed* on this new style of ticket, but Unique Transaction Number??? I realise that means number appears twice, but it's the best I can think of.

* Unless you count "STAR Mobile is coming soon, more information at some point in the future if you happen to be an Avantix user" as a briefing.

I see that was a card payment made via contactless, good to see that times are moving ahead. Are these new machines on online or offline mode? As can imagine some places not having good signal.

They are supposed to be online, but given that reception in some places is sketchy at best, there may be technical difficulties ahead.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interesting that they refer to the National Conditions of Travel, which don't exist :)

They do seem almost ATB sized, which is quite good as it allows for details to be printed more clearly.

krus_aragon

Established Member

I take your point, but I found myself idly wondering how much wood pulp is used in the thicker, card-based tickets compared with these new ones. A short stint of web searching didn't get me anywhere, though.

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Typical that no-one has informed ticket office staff at Northern. Can I use these pictures to enlighten our staff please?

Edited because apparently guards got a one line email about a "test".

If it's any consolation, nobody informed the other staff at TPE either, apart from an email saying that Huddersfield was starting to use them and staff should expect to see the new style tickets. The fact that until today nobody had seen the new style tickets, and no staff briefing has been issued to say what they look like and where the relevant information is is irrelevant.

I am told they can do contactless.
I am told they are online whenever possible, and use the EE network, which is generally quite good across the TPE network. If they cannot be online they will still work offline in the same way Avantix does now.

I would have thought that standard text could have been printed on the back of the ticket stock. Repeated every inch(ish) so it appears in full on every ticket produced.

There is actually very tiny standard text and an endorsements box on the back, which from memory is the same as existing stock, but it is upside down compared with the front! You can just about make it through from the back on the 3rd picture (the ticket which has been punched). This makes the space wasting waffle on the front somewhat pointless.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
If it's any consolation, nobody informed the other staff at TPE either, apart from an email saying that Huddersfield was starting to use them and staff should expect to see the new style tickets. The fact that until today nobody had seen the new style tickets, and no staff briefing has been issued to say what they look like and where the relevant information is is irrelevant....

Apparently the Guards at Northern got the one line email (no pictures or briefings) because they "check tickets". Ticket Offices apparently don't ever check tickets, not even when asked for refunds, compensation, excess fares or information on validity, so got nothing at all (not even a one line email).

sheff1

Established Member
Don't forget the misspelling of Shipley as Shepley. If someone turned up at a gateline with that, I'd fully expect it to be withdrawn as a forgery!

So, you think anyone travelling from Shepley will be treated as a criminal ? Says a lot for people working on the gatelines.

Last edited:

the sniper

Established Member
If it's any consolation, nobody informed the other staff at TPE either, apart from an email saying that Huddersfield was starting to use them and staff should expect to see the new style tickets. The fact that until today nobody had seen the new style tickets, and no staff briefing has been issued to say what they look like and where the relevant information is is irrelevant.

Apparently the Guards at Northern got the one line email (no pictures or briefings) because they "check tickets". Ticket Offices apparently don't ever check tickets, not even when asked for refunds, compensation, excess fares or information on validity, so got nothing at all (not even a one line email).

You've got to love this industry's attitude to retail training... P*ss poor as usual. While I'm further south, we haven't been told or shown anything about this new ticket stock by my TOC. :roll:

johntea

Established Member
Maybe I'm being thick, but presumably that QR Code thing is how you get through the ticket barriers - if I took a photograph on my phone of it and held my phone up to the reader would that also let me through?

Just curious

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So, you think anyone travelling from Shepley will be treated as a criminal ? Says a lot for people working on the gatelines.

No. I'm sure CyrusWuff simply had a mental block and didn't remember the fact that Shepley existed as a separate station. It's not a station I'd ever heard of either and I wondered whether it was a mistake too. Sadly the recent introductions of new tickets has actually included plenty of spelling errors.

Last edited:

JaJaWa

Established Member
Yes. The transport operator could even partner with a bank to promote one.

As has previously happened: http://www.nationalexpressgroup.com/newsmedia/news-across-the-group/2015/c2c-offers-thousands-of-passengers-contactless-payment-wristbands-for-access-to-cheaper-travel/.

Maybe I'm being thick, but presumably that QR Code thing is how you get through the ticket barriers - if I took a photograph on my phone of it and held my phone up to the reader would that also let me through?

Just curious

Only once and on the correct date though - just as if you printed an eTicket multiple times.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
No. I'm sure CyrusWuff simply had a mental block and didn't remember the fact that Shepley existed as a separate station. It's not a station I'd ever heard of either and I wondered whether it was a mistake too. Sadly the recent introductions of new tickets has actually included plenty of spelling errors.

^^^ This...Or aren't people allowed to make mistakes nowadays?

island

Veteran Member
I would imagine you wipe the PDAs and chuck the lot in a secure skip, as they're completely wrecked for the most part.

Whilst I expect the hardware is past end of life and there will be little to nothing salvageable, this probably contravenes EU waste disposal directives...

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator

That's pretty harsh. Although I have to say it was a big mistake to assume a ticket is a forgery based solely on this one, apparent, discrepancy

I'm happy to accept that this was just a moment of head fuzz by Cyrus Wuff!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
You've got to love this industry's attitude to retail training... P*ss poor as usual. While I'm further south, we haven't been told or shown anything about this new ticket stock by my TOC. :roll:

I'm heading down south in a few weeks and was thinking I might buy my tickets from somebody who is using the new machines then see what response I get all over the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.