• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Class 707 - SWT: Introduction into service

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hassaanhc

Established Member
Class 707s are 95% similar to Class 700s. Therefore if you don't like the 700s you almost certainly won't be liking the 707s either.

Now I'm someone that never liked the soggy Class 458 seats, and preferred the seats in the Class 450 or 455 units, and the Class 707 seats are similar. I also have quite short legs so legroom is rarely an issue for me, and it indeed isn't on either the 450, 455 or 707. Toilets I'm not bothered about, of course in the 458s they hardly ever work anyway, but a lot of my travel is on the Tube, DLR or buses, which of course don't have toilets. And I much prefer to use a non-train toilet anyway, even if at some stations they can be a bit grim (Waterloo, Raynes Park, and Surbiton, looking at you three... :(). Plus in middle door stock, the toilets open directly into the passenger area, and I don't find it nice sitting near those.

But I appreciate that I'm in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to the 707s taking over on the Hounslow services. They will really tempt me back from the more convenient but less nicer services from Southall to Paddington and having to use the Bakerloo Line onwards.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Class 707s are 95% similar to Class 700s. Therefore if you don't like the 700s you almost certainly won't be liking the 707s either.

Now I'm someone that never liked the soggy Class 458 seats, and preferred the seats in the Class 450 or 455 units, and the Class 707 seats are similar. I also have quite short legs so legroom is rarely an issue for me, and it indeed isn't on either the 450, 455 or 707. Toilets I'm not bothered about, of course in the 458s they hardly ever work anyway, but a lot of my travel is on the Tube, DLR or buses, which of course don't have toilets. And I much prefer to use a non-train toilet anyway, even if at some stations they can be a bit grim (Waterloo, Raynes Park, and Surbiton, looking at you three... :(). Plus in middle door stock, the toilets open directly into the passenger area, and I don't find it nice sitting near those.

But I appreciate that I'm in the minority here, but I'm really looking forward to the 707s taking over on the Hounslow services. They will really tempt me back from the more convenient but less nicer services from Southall to Paddington and having to use the Bakerloo Line onwards.

That's interesting. I like the 707s, but I've always loved 458 seats in comparison to those on 450/455s. Think its because of the squashy head bit, its so comfortable!

Class455

Established Member
Can the 707's be coupled to an older Desiro (444/450) and 458 as well as a Class 700 or can they only couple with 700's and other 707's?

Bigfoot

Can the 707's be coupled to an older Desiro (444/450) and 458 as well as a Class 700 or can they only couple with 700's and other 707's?

Any train can couple to anything with the correct coupler or adaptor. But your question is not except for rescue purposes. No electrical connection is possible.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Any train can couple to anything with the correct coupler or adaptor. But your question is not except for rescue purposes. No electrical connection is possible.

The 165/166s can't couple to Sprinters, and they both have BSI couplers.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The 165/166s can't couple to Sprinters, and they both have BSI couplers.

There is a protocol to couple at least some of these units together - it requires the suspension to be deflated on the Networker Turbos modified for use in the south west.

On Moderation
Re the 531-536 usage, I was more referring to the use of 1 or 2 of them together, thereby not providing any 1st class, which that route does require. Although having said that I've seen 455s on it, more than once!

Nope! 458531/533 working 1154 Reading - Waterloo as I type!

spark001uk

Established Member
Was Thursday's running just a trial or are the 707s now fully cleared for public service?

It was just a "for one day only" deal, mainly so swt could at least pack their bags in the knowledge they had carried some passengers on their shiny new units!

Besides which only 003/005 have been accepted so far.

Last edited:

GW43125

Established Member
707006 + 007 were noted testing through Basingstoke earlier, they were in Clapham Yard by the time I got there around 5.

spark001uk

Established Member
As promised. Vid of journey on 2Z31 on Thurs...

[youtube]RvjXs-ekTfk[/youtube]

paok

From SWR's website:

"What is happening to the Class 707 trains?

They are good trains that we will make use of. However, an important part of delivering the improved efficiency and smooth running of the network relies on having a homogenous fleet so when we have brought in our new trains we expect to cascade the Class 707s out to other parts of the national network, and we are confident there is demand for them elsewhere."

https://www.southwesternrailway.com/contact-and-help/faqs

LunchSociety

Translation : the leasing company hopes the bidders for Southeastern will accept them along with the 458/5s

(As a daily southeastern user I’d be delighted with that outcome.)

Since Southeastern have no Desiro stock, I can't see that happening. The new Southeastern bidder will want a homogenous fleet just as much as SWR do.

(As a Southeastern user, I'd be delighted with any new stock)

spark001uk

Established Member
I'd like to know how they consider taking on a fleet of 1988 class 442's homogenous!

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'd like to know how they consider taking on a fleet of 1988 class 442's homogenous!

I suggest by probably looking at the main suburban and all the Windsor side services as a single entity, perhaps because of the out and back services via Kingston, while at the same time ignoring the main fast services as they do not really interact with the future Aventra operated services that much. Mainline services also do not fall into that area highlighted by DfT of unsuitable stock being used on services with high turnover at Clapham Junction.

Last edited:

SpacePhoenix

Established Member
Once the SWTs logo is removed from them, will they put a SWR one on or leave them without logos until they're ready to enter service proper?

spark001uk

Established Member
Once the SWTs logo is removed from them, will they put a SWR one on or leave them without logos until they're ready to enter service proper?

From what I was told by a manager the other day they'll start putting logo stickers over the swt ones, then repaint/vinyl as and when they come to do internal refurbs. I believe there's a photo floating around of one stuck on a 455?

SF-02

Since Southeastern have no Desiro stock, I can't see that happening. The new Southeastern bidder will want a homogenous fleet just as much as SWR do.

(As a Southeastern user, I'd be delighted with any new stock)

And 10 car 707 trains on a network now 80% upgraded in recent years to a 12-car one, at a cost of millions, isn't too smart in the mid to long term

Mordac

Established Member
And 10 car 707 trains on a network now 80% upgraded in recent years to a 12-car one, at a cost of millions, isn't too smart in the mid to long term

I'm sure Siemens could just add a motor car to them, thus solving the other problem with them, their relative lack of grunt.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I'm sure Siemens could just add a motor car to them, thus solving the other problem with them, their relative lack of grunt.

Additional Motor Coach (with maybe a toilet) to extend to 6 coaches, so working in pairs works well with the 12-carriage network on SET

spark001uk

Established Member
There's already a 6car variant in the 717s so it'd be quite easy to adjust the 707s to match I imagine. And yes, a disabled coach with loo would be the best bet.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.